Author Topic: Springsteen @ Nats Park - September 1  (Read 3213 times)

Offline Natsinpwc

Re: Springsteen @ Nats Park - September 1
« Reply #25: May 11, 2016, 03:37:19 PM »
The River started my Springsteen fandom; I worked my way backwards from there and fell more in love with each album.  I remember my mom loving Hungry Heart but I truly adored each one: I'm a Rocker, Out in the Street, Fade Away, Point Blank, I mean one great song after another, such tremendous songs and to me The River never got it's due, Born to Run and Born in the USA are always mentioned over The River but I'd put it up there easily with those two.  Anyway, awesome for you guys that you'll get to see him in September.
But don't forget The Wild, the Innocent and the E Street Shuffle. Some great tunes and Springsteen before he was a commercial success.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #26: May 11, 2016, 03:43:54 PM »
There's Bruce's peak trilogy - Born to Run, Darkness on the Edge of Town, and The River - then there is the rest of the catalogue.  I love Nebraska, think Born in the USA has some good points, love The Rising and Magic for later works, the rawness of The Wild, the Innocent . . . and Greetings . . ., and individual cuts like Youngstown and Ghost of Tom Joad, but I'll guess over half of Springsteen's most memorable songs are on the peak 3 albums.  And that peak was 35 years ago, so I can understand the irrelevance to the folks who don't remember CDs as a breakthrough game changer. Maybe Bruce eventually will be appreciated like vinyl is now in the era of digital internet-based music.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #27: May 11, 2016, 03:43:59 PM »
The River started my Springsteen fandom; I worked my way backwards from there and fell more in love with each album.  I remember my mom loving Hungry Heart but I truly adored each one: I'm a Rocker, Out in the Street, Fade Away, Point Blank, I mean one great song after another, such tremendous songs and to me The River never got it's due, Born to Run and Born in the USA are always mentioned over The River but I'd put it up there easily with those two.  Anyway, awesome for you guys that you'll get to see him in September. 

I met the band in 1974.   I think they were at McDonough (Georgetown) and stopped by a place I was working at the time.     My musical intro to them was by a fellow radio guy.   He said, "You gotta listen to this."   ...  Greetings from Asbury Park.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #28: May 11, 2016, 03:55:31 PM »
I met the band in 1974.   I think they were at McDonough (Georgetown) and stopped by a place I was working at the time.     My musical intro to them was by a fellow radio guy.   He said, "You gotta listen to this."   ...  Greetings from Asbury Park.
Awesome. Would give almost anything to have heard them during that time period.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #29: May 11, 2016, 03:57:58 PM »

Me too!! They used to play a little club in New Haven called Toad's Place but I was like 9 then, totally sucks I missed seeing him play small venues, can't imagine how awesome that would've been!! So did you love him too Mitlen?

Offline mitlen

« Reply #30: May 11, 2016, 03:58:02 PM »

Bruce was skinny  ...  a lot less bulked up.    :)

I still have "Asbury" down in the basement somewhere.    May have to break it out and listen to it on the "table".

Offline mitlen

« Reply #31: May 11, 2016, 04:02:35 PM »
Me too!! They used to play a little club in New Haven called Toad's Place but I was like 9 then, totally sucks I missed seeing him play small venues, can't imagine how awesome that would've been!! So did you love him too Mitlen?

I grew to like them more.    I really liked "Asbury" and then they seemed to hit the Route Nine R & R scene which lost me a little bit.   I liked the born songs.   :)    Got me back into the band.    I started DJ'ing in a club and found "Dancin' in the Dark" got them off the wall.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #32: May 11, 2016, 04:04:53 PM »
I grew to like them more.    I really liked "Asbury" and then they seemed to hit the Route Nine R & R scene which lost me a little bit.   I liked the born songs.   :)    Got me back into the band.    I started DJ'ing in a club and found "Dancin' in the Dark" got them off the wall.

:thumbs: can't help but dance like Courtney Cox from the video when that one comes on :)

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #33: May 11, 2016, 04:04:55 PM »
Bruce was skinny  ...  a lot less bulked up.    :)

I still have "Asbury" down in the basement somewhere.    May have to break it out and listen to it on the "table".
I remember going to his concert in 1980 and wondering if it was the same Bruce. He had bulked up. Roids?   :D

I don't have that one but have the Wild, etc. He is a skinny little dude on the pic standing next to the late Clarence "Nick" Clemons. Rosalita is my favorite. Can't count how many times I heard bands cover that in the bars in philly and south Jersey.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #34: May 11, 2016, 04:10:45 PM »
I remember going to his concert in 1980 and wondering if it was the same Bruce. He had bulked up. Roids?   :D

I don't have that one but have the Wild, etc. He is a skinny little dude on the pic standing next to the late Clarence "Nick" Clemons. Rosalita is my favorite. Can't count how many times I heard bands cover that in the bars in philly and south Jersey.

By Born in the USA he totally looked like a roider no doubt.
Spirit in the Night was my favorite, ah I'm so listening to Channel 20 on my ride home tonight :)

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #35: May 11, 2016, 04:13:48 PM »

My first Springsteen show was at McDonough in 1975 just when Born to Run was coming out. I missed my high school prom to see the Boss. Don't regret it for one minute.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #36: May 11, 2016, 04:35:51 PM »
Spirit in the Night was my favorite, ah I'm so listening to Channel 20 on my ride home tonight :)

That was the song that stood out when I first listened to "Asbury" at the radio station.    Great minds.    :)

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #37: May 11, 2016, 08:30:05 PM »
ThunderRoad was always my favorite.  Had a hard time convincing 2IPAs to let the band play it at our wedding.

By Born in the USA he totally looked like a roider no doubt.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #38: May 11, 2016, 11:06:36 PM »
That was the song that stood out when I first listened to "Asbury" at the radio station.    Great minds.    :)

great song.  My favorite song of his is still The Rising.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #39: May 12, 2016, 08:57:32 AM »
Too bad Ian Drury and the Blockheads cannot do "Sex and Drugs and Rock and Roll" live anymore.  Did Ian even have enough stuff to do an album?

He did eight or nine studio albums, I think - the second of these was Do It Yourself, whose 1979 US release contained as a bonus this essential Dury single:

Offline NationalHeat

« Reply #40: May 12, 2016, 09:32:23 AM »
Is it worth buying if I strictly want to sell?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #41: May 12, 2016, 10:26:34 AM »
Is it worth buying if I strictly want to sell?
probably a good after market.  I got in right away and got 4 on the floor, section 9.