Author Topic: Book Thread  (Read 52731 times)

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Re: Book Thread
« Reply #650: June 02, 2018, 10:10:31 AM »
Goin' out again today lookin' for The Journey of Crazy Horse (a Lakota history).     Recommended by my BiL and published in 2004.   It's available online but I like lookin' through "real" books first.    I open 'em to some random page and read a bit to get a flavor before I buy.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #651: June 02, 2018, 04:01:45 PM »
There was one paper back copy available at the Mall.     I see it as Caps' karma.

Online NatNasty

« Reply #652: June 02, 2018, 04:03:41 PM »
I just finished listening to/reading the wheel of time series. I checked my audible history and  I started in October 2015, I can’t remember anything having taken me this long to read

I had read all but the last book.  While waiting forever for that to come out, I'd forgotten a lot of what had happened in the previous books.  So, I decided to re-read the entire series.  Took me a while to get started, knowing it would probably take me about a year.  Finally began this past Jan or Feb and am now on the 6th book.

I'm going to have to do the same with the Song of Ice and Fire series when/if Martin ever decides to finish it.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #653: June 19, 2018, 01:27:56 AM »
Anyway looking for a great mystery page turner for the summer should read “The Dry” by Jane Harper, captures your attention from the first page and never lets up, just an absolutely riveting read!

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #654: July 20, 2018, 04:47:03 PM »
Just finished The Beach House by James Patterson. As the title suggests it was a terrific read while at the beach. Starting on Double Play by Robert Parker. It’s a novel with a tie in to Jackie Robinson. 50 pages in I don’t want to put it down.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #655: July 26, 2018, 04:20:53 PM »
Reading David Halberstam's The Coldest Winter. About the Korean War. Riveting. Not sure how many pages it is but I am mostly through it. Had read his Summer or 49 before.

To give me a break from that heavy duty stuff, I am also reading Twenty Thousand Leagues Under The Sea. For the second time. Highly recommend that to everyone who has not read it. Verne was way ahead of his time.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #656: July 26, 2018, 04:41:28 PM »
I’m working my way through Brandon Sanderson- it’s funny when I was younger I read non-fiction, now I’ve done a 180

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #657: July 26, 2018, 05:25:36 PM »
I’m working my way through Brandon Sanderson- it’s funny when I was younger I read non-fiction, now I’ve done a 180

as a kid/youth you want to learn about the world, once you are an adult, you want to escape it :stir:

Offline mitlen

« Reply #658: July 26, 2018, 05:27:48 PM »
I finished Journey of Crazy Horse (a Lakota history).     An interesting history from a Lakota perspective.

BTW   Thanks for bumping the thread for the reminder.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #659: July 26, 2018, 05:29:18 PM »
as a kid/youth you want to learn about the world, once you are an adult, you want to escape it :stir:

Read on a bathroom wall on the Jersey Pike sometime in the 70s  ...  "Reality is nothing more than an escape from drugs."

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #660: July 26, 2018, 05:39:30 PM »

I'm almost 50 and all I want to do is travel the world.  :)

And I'm again reminded how much I miss Anthony Bourdain.  :(

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #661: August 28, 2018, 09:22:20 PM »
Stephen Hunter. One underway and 3 in the queue.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #662: August 28, 2018, 09:28:09 PM »
Finished Michael Hayden's book.

Offline Panther Modern

• Hitting is not about muscle. It's simple physics.
« Reply #663: August 28, 2018, 09:30:31 PM »
I enjoy fiction, mostly science fiction and thrillers. I'm almost finished with Emily St. John Mandel's "Station Eleven," which I strongly recommend.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #664: September 03, 2018, 08:13:50 PM »
Missus ordered me The Restless Wave.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #665: September 05, 2018, 09:10:31 AM »
All I read nowadays is American history books. I finished the Hamilton bio by Ron Chernow in prep for the play in late August and I just cracked Chernows's "Washington: A Life" bio.

Chernow's research is unbelievable and he can make history really come to life.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #666: September 05, 2018, 09:13:24 AM »
Missus ordered me The Restless Wave.

Missus tells me Amazon has to back order.   I guess McCain's death spurred sales.    Headin' over to Books-a-Million to see what they have.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #667: September 05, 2018, 09:14:39 AM »
All I read nowadays is American history books. I finished the Hamilton bio by Ron Chernow in prep for the play in late August and I just cracked Chernows's "Washington: A Life" bio.

Chernow's research is unbelievable and he can make history really come to life.

Might have to give it a peek while I'm out.   

Offline Panther Modern

• Hitting is not about muscle. It's simple physics.
« Reply #668: September 05, 2018, 09:30:56 AM »
play in late August

Nice. How did you like it? I've been wanting to see it for a while, but the tickets are outrageous. I've been relying on the lottery.  :roll:

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #669: April 16, 2019, 11:15:11 PM »

David Brooks has a very interesting book out.  He has a local DC event tomorrow (4/17/19) that I wish we were close enough to attend:

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/david-brooks-the-second-mountain-tickets-54985416862

Online wj73

« Reply #670: April 17, 2019, 09:23:11 AM »
I’m just finishing up “The First Conspiracy: The Secret Plot to Kill George Washington” by Brad Meltzer and Josh Mensch. It’s about a little known plot by the Brits to assassinate George Washington and other top military leaders of our fledgling Continental Army in the early days of 1776. The assassination plot alone is fascinating, but the book is also chock full of historical tidbits. For instance, at one point the Brits had a plot to recruit people with contagious small pox to infiltrate our Army to spread the disease among our troops, an early and crude form of biological warfare. Also, black people served as full soldiers in the Continental Army (despite Washington’s initial reluctance to allow this), the last time our armed forces were fully integrated until Vietnam.

Unlike a lot of historical books, this book is not a heavy slog; rather the writing style is breezy (and at times even a bit overwrought). All in all it’s a fun read about our earliest history.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #671: April 17, 2019, 09:39:54 AM »
I’m just finishing up “The First Conspiracy: The Secret Plot to Kill George Washington” by Brad Meltzer and Josh Mensch. It’s about a little known plot by the Brits to assassinate George Washington and other top military leaders of our fledgling Continental Army in the early days of 1776. The assassination plot alone is fascinating, but the book is also chock full of historical tidbits. For instance, at one point the Brits had a plot to recruit people with contagious small pox to infiltrate our Army to spread the disease among our troops, an early and crude form of biological warfare. Also, black people served as full soldiers in the Continental Army (despite Washington’s initial reluctance to allow this), the last time our armed forces were fully integrated until Vietnam.

Unlike a lot of historical books, this book is not a heavy slog; rather the writing style is breezy (and at times even a bit overwrought). All in all it’s a fun read about our earliest history.

Iirc, the confederate sent clothes of yellow fever victims to the north to try and spread the disease to northern populations too.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #672: April 17, 2019, 09:52:23 AM »
David Brooks has a very interesting book out.  He has a local DC event tomorrow (4/17/19) that I wish we were close enough to attend:

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/david-brooks-the-second-mountain-tickets-54985416862

I'm a David Brooks fan.     I've wanted to read "Road to Character" since it came out  ...  to do list.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #673: April 17, 2019, 11:54:52 AM »
That didn't work, so they sent Waffle House
Iirc, the confederate sent clothes of yellow fever victims to the north to try and spread the disease to northern populations too.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #674: April 17, 2019, 01:09:13 PM »
That didn't work, so they sent Waffle House

Keeeeeeeeeeeeeeeriste that's a good one.     :lol:      Instant Ali-classic.