September 14th - 4:05pm game vs. Fish
4 (57.1%)
September 28th - 4:05pm game vs. Philthies
2 (28.6%)
Other - let us know what you think
1 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Voting closes: May 31, 2024, 08:31:58 PM

Author Topic: WNFF M&G MMXXIV  (Read 509 times)

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
WNFF M&G MMXXIV
« Topic Start: February 17, 2024, 07:31:58 PM »

It's never too early to think about the best day on the WNFF annual calendar.  I don't even know what number this M&G will be at this point, so I'll just refer to it as WNFF M&G MMXXIV.

Since most Saturday games seem to be at 4:05pm this year, we should have plenty of options...I've preloaded September dates only because that has been the norm, but if we need to consider other months, let us know, though more popular opponents may make securing tickets and parking a bit trickier, and, of course, there is the weather factor to consider.

I look forward to meeting all of you this year so that you're not still lamenting that you never had an opportunity to meet other WNFF members...  :poke:

The poll will run thru 5/31/24-ish.

If one of the mods could sticky this, I'd be grateful...

Offline Mattionals

Re: WNFF M&G MMXXIV
« Reply #1: February 25, 2024, 06:59:55 PM »
I want in, and my mom and I are talking about taking a trip down and catching a game in DC. We were maybe thinking of a 1PM day game, so that limits us to every other day than Saturday, but I really want to try and see everyone again. Last time I took in a game in DC, it may have been close to 9 years ago!

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #2: February 25, 2024, 07:07:30 PM »
I don't think we are locked in on a 4 pm game but we can discuss. Sundays might be on the table, too. I don't know what works for families. We thought 4 pm allows for morning games for kids.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #3: February 25, 2024, 07:24:29 PM »
I want in, and my mom and I are talking about taking a trip down and catching a game in DC. We were maybe thinking of a 1PM day game, so that limits us to every other day than Saturday, but I really want to try and see everyone again. Last time I took in a game in DC, it may have been close to 9 years ago!

When was it that Skippy and I saw you in Florida...gotta be about that long ago as well, right?  Time flies...

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #4: February 25, 2024, 07:33:27 PM »
Found the picture.  March 12, 2016 (in Orlando - Nats/Barves):

VARK, Skippy1999, Mattionals

4 years to the day before they shut down Ballpark of the Palm Beaches for Covid 19...and just 16 days shy of 8 years from today.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #5: February 25, 2024, 10:05:17 PM »
Found the picture.  March 12, 2016 (in Orlando - Nats/Barves):

VARK, Skippy1999, Mattionals

(Image removed from quote.)

4 years to the day before they shut down Ballpark of the Palm Beaches for Covid 19...and just 16 days shy of 8 years from today.
Holy cow! Yea, 8 years later and I'm married with two youngsters! I bet you and Skippy look the same though!

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #6: February 25, 2024, 11:37:11 PM »
Holy cow! Yea, 8 years later and I'm married with two youngsters! I bet you and Skippy look the same though!

I'm a bit thinner on top with two grandchildren since then.  I think Skippy simply got younger...

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #7: February 26, 2024, 01:13:35 PM »
I'm a bit thinner on top with two grandchildren since then.  I think Skippy simply got younger...
I don't remember what I weighed then, but right now I've been really working on my weight by going low-carb/keto. Keto got a bit too restrictive and messed with my mental health a bit, so I'm just over that limit and cutting out most carbs that I just didn't care for anyway. Eliminating sugar was probably the biggest one for me. Since December, I'm down 34 pounds!

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #8: February 26, 2024, 01:20:23 PM »
LOL don't I wish! We took my grandson to that game and he was so little and now he's going to be 10 in May, where on earth does the time go??!!! I want in on this trip whenever it is in September, been far too long since I saw all you crazies!

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #9: February 26, 2024, 01:25:54 PM »
I don't remember what I weighed then, but right now I've been really working on my weight by going low-carb/keto. Keto got a bit too restrictive and messed with my mental health a bit, so I'm just over that limit and cutting out most carbs that I just didn't care for anyway. Eliminating sugar was probably the biggest one for me. Since December, I'm down 34 pounds!

Outstanding...keep it up! 

I've been down at 175 for a couple of years now myself from what was likely 210-ish when that picture was taken 8 years ago.  Not drinking alcohol, regular exercise and a more balanced diet paid off for me.

You and mom should really plan to join us at the Park this year.  We've got some folks that have their various reasons for not wanting to socialize with other members, but that ain't us.  Even Skippy "threatened" to make it again this year...  :D

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #10: February 26, 2024, 02:42:45 PM »
That’s awesome.  I just love carbs so much I cannot say good bye to them.  Especially the sugar. 

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #11: February 26, 2024, 04:35:35 PM »
I cannot imagine watching hockey without beer and baked beans.

Partial to the 4 o'clock starts but can live with any other time and date, if we're in town we'll be there!
That’s awesome.  I just love carbs so much I cannot say good bye to them.  Especially the sugar. 

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #12: February 26, 2024, 04:42:02 PM »
Partial to the 4 o'clock starts but can live with any other time and date, if we're in town we'll be there!

:clap:

Online wj73

« Reply #13: February 27, 2024, 07:17:24 PM »
I voted for the 24th, just cuz I didn’t feel like dealing with Phillie fans. But any day sounds good. Mr wj73 and I will try to make it this year, for sure.

Congrats Varoadking and Mattionals on the weight loss. It’s not easy. I can recommend lose it.com. Logging food and exercise really makes you accountable. Also, a kitchen scale is invaluable. It’s amazing how small actual servings are once you start weighing them. But, I’m down 75 pounds from my high weight, and about 30 pounds since the last M&G we attended. I never cut out a single food group - I just ate and drank a lot less of everything.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #14: February 27, 2024, 07:25:04 PM »
Meanwhile, I'm up an easy 20. Life is too good. :D

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #15: February 27, 2024, 07:36:57 PM »
I voted for the 24th, just cuz I didn’t feel like dealing with Phillie fans. But any day sounds good. Mr wj73 and I will try to make it this year, for sure.

Congrats Varoadking and Mattionals on the weight loss. It’s not easy. I can recommend lose it.com. Logging food and exercise really makes you accountable. Also, a kitchen scale is invaluable. It’s amazing how small actual servings are once you start weighing them. But, I’m down 75 pounds from my high weight, and about 30 pounds since the last M&G we attended. I never cut out a single food group - I just ate and drank a lot less of everything.

:clap: Hope to see you both at the M&G

Online wj73

« Reply #16: February 27, 2024, 07:38:45 PM »
I voted for the 14th, just cuz I didn’t feel like dealing with Phillies fans. But, any day is fine. If we’re in town, Mr wj73 and I will try to be there. 

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #17: February 27, 2024, 07:38:54 PM »
LOL don't I wish! We took my grandson to that game and he was so little and now he's going to be 10 in May, where on earth does the time go??!!! I want in on this trip whenever it is in September, been far too long since I saw all you crazies!

w00t Skippy!  :thumbs:

Offline blue911

« Reply #18: February 28, 2024, 08:14:58 AM »

I really like using a fitness tracker that has a calories burned calculator. It helped me recalculate my caloric intake as I lost more weight. I also had a weekly cheat day that kept me from quitting.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #19: February 28, 2024, 08:54:05 AM »
I really like using a fitness tracker that has a calories burned calculator. It helped me recalculate my caloric intake as I lost more weight. I also had a weekly cheat day that kept me from quitting.

Counting calories is crucial.  I spent 2 sessions with a nutritionist before Covid shut down my Gym.  She really educated me in just that short bit of time...it's training that's lasted for these nearly 4 years now...

I also work with a personal trainer two days a week because I'm far too lazy to do something like that on my own.  Walking weather should be here again soon to fill in the off days...

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #20: February 28, 2024, 11:20:08 AM »
I was just discussing both with my doc and my wife what my long term food plan looks like. With me removing most carbs from my diet, it's WAY easier for me to ascertain portion size and caloric input. For me, that means limited carbs for two of three meals, and ONE portion of my third meal has a standard carb amount. I'm good without eating bread and pasta surprisingly, and removing most sugars is fantastic just for the anti-inflammatory response. I have determined a few foods that I really enjoy with carbs, mainly fried chicken and the occasional fried dough product. That last one is going to be limited for sure moving forward, maybe even less than once a month. I'm totally fine looking like the weirdo who eats a burger with no bun with a fork and knife!

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #21: February 28, 2024, 01:10:30 PM »
I was just discussing both with my doc and my wife what my long term food plan looks like. With me removing most carbs from my diet, it's WAY easier for me to ascertain portion size and caloric input. For me, that means limited carbs for two of three meals, and ONE portion of my third meal has a standard carb amount. I'm good without eating bread and pasta surprisingly, and removing most sugars is fantastic just for the anti-inflammatory response. I have determined a few foods that I really enjoy with carbs, mainly fried chicken and the occasional fried dough product. That last one is going to be limited for sure moving forward, maybe even less than once a month. I'm totally fine looking like the weirdo who eats a burger with no bun with a fork and knife!

I have always been told, eat carbs together with proteins...don't know if that's right, but it's what I do...

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #22: March 08, 2024, 08:06:54 AM »
Excuse me, I was looking for the M&G thread, somehow made a wrong turn and ended up in the weight gain or loss thread.   :hurr:

Anyway, both dates are wide open, but I picked 9/14 for scant reason.

Also, 14 months ago I tore my rotator cuff and in going down the Youtube rotator cuff rehab world I got sucked into overall health and fitness.  Went on a keto-ish diet and dropped 20 in about 5 weeks.  Mind you I was 152 before I started this.  I needed to drop the fat but when you lose weight that fast you lose muscle too, I looked like a scarecrow.  I do have good reason to remain lean - BP, blood sugar, cholesterol, heart disease family history, etc.  To make a long story short there is work to do but I have improved quality of diet a lot.  I haven't quit alcohol but there isn't a lot left in the quiver at this point.  I did join a gym (thanks Medicare gap plan!) 6 weeks ago and have been regaining strength rapidly.  A lean 135 now (5'10"), or as they say in West Virginia, I'm "wiry", though they don't pronounce it quite like that.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #23: March 08, 2024, 08:47:48 AM »
You guys are all putting me to shame.  The Twinkie diet seems not to be working. 

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #24: March 08, 2024, 08:31:43 PM »
You guys are all putting me to shame.  The Twinkie diet seems not to be working.

I have a new volunteering colleague, he's only been in the US just over a year now, from Belgium.  While overall he LOVES his US experience, he never ceases to be amazed by how sugar in its various, insidious forms, finds its way into products that really have no need for sugar.  Bread, for instance.  Read the label on sandwich bread sometime, it's a stunner how nearly all of them have sugar added.  Maybe you can find a sourdough without it, but good luck.  How about salad dressings?   :spaz:

In a way it's not your fault, we are all surrounded by bad over-sugared and processed foods that bear little resemblance to real food.  Still, we all have the power to take corrective action.  The farmers' market is our friend.  There ARE ways to get real food.