Author Topic: "Holiday Road" - The Official Vacation Thread  (Read 148902 times)

Offline Natsinpwc

Honestly? At times a littlle nervous. The mules go straight and follow the mule in front of them. At the head of the line was the guide - looked like Sam Elliot - he really fit the part.

But, you are moving along the edge, in the middle of the trail and the mule moves a little to one side and you are like "HEY" and give the reins a little correction.

Here's a panorama of the Bright Angel Trail - we hiked down about 30-40 minutes and turned back.
(Image removed from quote.)
Awesome. Still need to get there.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Beautiful. Thanks for sharing. I struggle with heights though I hiked diamond head and the iki trail on the big island in 2014. The GC is one of the few major landmarks that I haven't taken the kids to yet but I don't want to freak out at the edge of the rim.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Stunning.  I've flown over the GC a bunch of times but never been on the ground. 

Offline wj73

Beautiful pix! 

Hubby and I are in the early stages of planning a 2 week driving trip next year out west, starting at Grand Canyon, going up through Utah and some of those parks, and maybe with luck having enough time to get to Mt. Rushmore.  Not sure how much of that is possible yet, but Grand Canyon is definitely the starting point since neither of us has ever seen it except to fly over it on our way to California. 

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
One of the few situations I've regretted not driving...never getting to see the Grand Canyon.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Aerial America   ...   Arizona at 8; California at 9   ...   Smithsonian Station

Offline houston-nat

Beautiful pix! 

Hubby and I are in the early stages of planning a 2 week driving trip next year out west, starting at Grand Canyon, going up through Utah and some of those parks, and maybe with luck having enough time to get to Mt. Rushmore.  Not sure how much of that is possible yet, but Grand Canyon is definitely the starting point since neither of us has ever seen it except to fly over it on our way to California. 
Arches & Canyonlands are great in Utah, so stay in Moab for a couple days. I regret not catching Zion & the other southern parks on our drive from Arches to the Grand Canyon, but all that stuff is gold. If you can't get to Mt. Rushmore, Mesa Verde in CO is probably still doable, and Durango is a great town. Plus the awesome drive up 550 to Ouray. Or maybe try Yellowstone and the Tetons??

Offline imref

No more complimentary snacks or white wine with dinner on the auto train.  Boo.

Offline wj73

Arches & Canyonlands are great in Utah, so stay in Moab for a couple days. I regret not catching Zion & the other southern parks on our drive from Arches to the Grand Canyon, but all that stuff is gold. If you can't get to Mt. Rushmore, Mesa Verde in CO is probably still doable, and Durango is a great town. Plus the awesome drive up 550 to Ouray. Or maybe try Yellowstone and the Tetons??

Thanks for the input as we're just starting our research. Arches is high on the list, but I know there are other great parks in Utah that we need to research. Yellowstone is also high on the list but I'm quite clueless about distances and travel times so it might not be possible. We figure with only two weeks we won't be able to do more than 5-6 places in depth, so we're going to have to be ruthless about pruning down our destinations. But it's a fun problem to have.

Offline Natsinpwc

Thanks for the input as we're just starting our research. Arches is high on the list, but I know there are other great parks in Utah that we need to research. Yellowstone is also high on the list but I'm quite clueless about distances and travel times so it might not be possible. We figure with only two weeks we won't be able to do more than 5-6 places in depth, so we're going to have to be ruthless about pruning down our destinations. But it's a fun problem to have.
Probably would be better to do a separate northern trip for Yellowstone, the Tetons.  Throw in Rocky Mountain National Park and Glacier National park. Have been to all but the latter. You really need 3-5 days for Yellowstone.

We need to do the trip you are planning: Grand Canyon and Utah parks.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
Haven't done the Moab trip yet, but planning to do a weekend trip sometime this year. Definitely recommended Rocky Mtn for anyone that hasn't visited!

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
No more complimentary snacks or white wine with dinner on the auto train.  Boo.

It's Trump's fault...

Offline imref

It's Trump's fault...

in that case, it's the Chinese's fault.

Offline imref

we just got back this morning from a week at a beach condo in St. Augustine, FL.  Really beautiful place with tons of things to do ranging from tourist hell to really quiet, beautiful spots, and it was only about 1:45 from Viera!

Offline houston-nat

Anybody been to Taiwan? Any travel recommendations for Taipei and the countryside? Flights from Dallas to Taipei are $510 right now. Insanely cheap.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
Everything I've heard about Taiwan says go to the Taipei night market.

Offline HalfSmokes

Young and single seems fun

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
Young and single seems fun

Old, married and retired ain't bad either...

Offline wj73

I got two out of 3, and working on getting to #3 as fast as I can.   :mg:

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Chinese Professional Baseball League!

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!

Hi VaRK! Did you and the missus go to that restaurant The Rules yet? 

Offline Natsinpwc

Tru dat.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
Hi VaRK! Did you and the missus go to that restaurant The Rules yet?

No...but been just about everywhere else here it seems.  Opening day at the Chelsea flower show tomorrow...Wednesday is open, though, so maybe then... ;)

Hope that picture loaded...view to the southwest from our hotel room balcony...

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
No...but been just about everywhere else here it seems.  Opening day at the Chelsea flower show tomorrow...Wednesday is open, though, so maybe then... ;)

Hope that picture loaded...view to the southwest from our hotel room balcony...

yep that worked and it looks absolutely gorgeous!!! omgosh picture perfect truly and what a great location with Big Ben right there, is that Parliament next to it? Don't know my England geography too well. Well, any geography really  :-[ anyway you guys enjoy every second, we're keeping the :w:'s going in your absence ;)

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
Yes...that is Big Ben, and indeed the Houses of Parliament are to the left, with Westminster Abbey in the background. 
Afternoon teas have managed to spoil me...  :uk: