Author Topic: So long, Tanner & Welcome, Tanner  (Read 2437 times)

Offline Expos

Re: Re: 2018-2019 Offseason Moves
« Reply #25: December 12, 2018, 10:18:46 PM »
i'd be a fan of kikuchi.  The upside and age for that price look pretty nice.

He wants to go to the west coast.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #26: December 12, 2018, 10:23:19 PM »
I hope Rizzo makes that Sonny Gray call.

Expensive gamble

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #27: December 12, 2018, 10:34:52 PM »
Lance Lynn just got 3/$30 million from the Rangers. He had a similar year as Roark last year.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #28: December 12, 2018, 10:35:03 PM »
Lance Lynn just got 3 years $30 million from the Rangers.  Replacing Roark's mediocrity will not be cheap.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #29: December 12, 2018, 10:35:23 PM »
Lance Lynn just got 3/$30 million from the Rangers. He had a similar year as Roark last year.
Great minds...

Offline Expos

« Reply #30: December 12, 2018, 10:40:50 PM »
https://www.federalbaseball.com/platform/2018/12/12/18137197/mlb-winter-meetings-washington-nationals-rotation-depth-tanner-roark-rumors

“Adding Patrick Corbin,” the manager added, “with Scherzer and Strasburg, those are three pretty good horses. If we hone in on our defense, which our defense wasn’t awful, but ... in the one-run games it was significant. If we could turn the double plays in those situations...

“If you look at it,” the Nationals were 18-24 in one-run games and they were shut out 15 times.

“Half the games that we played, if we win half those games, the one-run games, it would have been a whole different story last year.”

You'd have to think we are going hard for DJ Lemathieu and his gold glove at 2B by those comments and now that we traded Roark we are assured to "strengthen a strength" as Rizzo said. He has to have something in the works if he traded Roark.

Offline imref

« Reply #31: December 12, 2018, 10:51:05 PM »
Zuck notes we were awful at getting to balls last year. Robles in CF should help

Offline mmzznnxx

• lol Nats
« Reply #32: December 12, 2018, 10:52:54 PM »
Admittedly I'm biased because I like Roark, but I see no possible way how relying on a $500MM three man rotation to stay healthy (including the freaking goateed Arctic Rose himself), Ross and Fedde and replacing the proven durable guy in the rotation could backfire.

Offline sph274

« Reply #33: December 12, 2018, 11:10:51 PM »
Keuchel and LeMahieu and call it an offseason? I cant imagine anyone give DJ more than 13 mil a year. 3/36 for DJ and 4/80 for Dallas? 5/100 for Keuchel at the top end? Or do we go after Marwin Gonzalez?

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34: December 13, 2018, 08:42:24 AM »
Janes reports that Nats had targeted Lance Lynn to replace Roark, but didn’t want to give him a third year so he went to the Rangers.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: So long, Tanner & Welcome, Tanner
« Reply #35: December 13, 2018, 08:51:51 AM »
I think that trading him for a right handed version of Enny Romero pretty much justifies my position on him.
but, but . . . he has options, right? 

Offline imref

« Reply #36: December 13, 2018, 08:53:38 AM »
Janes reports that Nats had targeted Lance Lynn to replace Roark, but didn’t want to give him a third year so he went to the Rangers.

I don't understand this, we trade a guy who was a decent innings eater at a reasonable price, and now we're looking for guys who roughly pitching at the same level?  Lynn might have been a very slight upgrade.

Chelsea Janes
@chelsea_janes
Nats had targeted Lance Lynn as a replacement for Tanner Roark, according to people familiar with their plans. Wouldn’t go to a third year, so Rangers got him. They are currently perusing the market for veteran starters.

Offline raleighnat

« Reply #37: December 13, 2018, 08:54:18 AM »
Admittedly I'm biased because I like Roark, but I see no possible way how relying on a $500MM three man rotation to stay healthy (including the freaking goateed Arctic Rose himself), Ross and Fedde and replacing the proven durable guy in the rotation could backfire.

This.  We need two reliable arms.  Do not trust Fedde or Ross with a slot - they should be depth.  OK with the trade if we get two arms.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38: December 13, 2018, 08:59:25 AM »
Keuchel and LeMahieu and call it an offseason? I cant imagine anyone give DJ more than 13 mil a year. 3/36 for DJ and 4/80 for Dallas? 5/100 for Keuchel at the top end? Or do we go after Marwin Gonzalez?
If they have the money, then Keuchel and LeMahieu for $32MM AAV is pretty good.  Miley and Roark are interchangeable, I/M/O, but Miley should have his price knocked down after his start of the year with the O's. 

Also, does this salary dump potentially open up something bigger with the D'backs for either Greinke or Ray?  Arizona may not have been willing to take back Roark's salary (only 1 year of control, $10MM), but now that we found a taker, perhaps we can agree to take on more of Greinke's salary if it means even lesser prospects going to AZ.  If they take on $5MM, then losing Roark and getting Greinke only nets us a $20MM hit next year.

Rather than chasing Miley, another way to play this would be to sign some starters who are left over in February.  Lot's of options.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #39: December 13, 2018, 09:04:01 AM »
So they misjudged the market.

Let Rizzo do his magic please. Hellickson was a good signing last year.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #40: December 13, 2018, 09:04:34 AM »
If they have the money, then Keuchel and LeMahieu for $32MM AAV is pretty good.  Miley and Roark are interchangeable, I/M/O, but Miley should have his price knocked down after his start of the year with the O's. 

Also, does this salary dump potentially open up something bigger with the D'backs for either Greinke or Ray?  Arizona may not have been willing to take back Roark's salary (only 1 year of control, $10MM), but now that we found a taker, perhaps we can agree to take on more of Greinke's salary if it means even lesser prospects going to AZ.  If they take on $5MM, then losing Roark and getting Greinke only nets us a $20MM hit next year.

Rather than chasing Miley, another way to play this would be to sign some starters who are left over in February.  Lot's of options.
Bring in Greinke!

Offline imref

« Reply #41: December 13, 2018, 09:16:07 AM »
So they misjudged the market.

Let Rizzo do his magic please. Hellickson was a good signing last year.

Mark Lerner really needs to stop playing GM

Offline hotshot

« Reply #42: December 13, 2018, 09:23:32 AM »
Would not be opposed to that but would not be excited.
'

Depends on if we'd be getting the horrific Miley that pitched for the O's, or the one that threw very effectively last year for the Brewers?

Offline Expos

« Reply #43: December 13, 2018, 09:48:32 AM »
I don't understand this, we trade a guy who was a decent innings eater at a reasonable price, and now we're looking for guys who roughly pitching at the same level?  Lynn might have been a very slight upgrade.

Yes. But you'd  be getting Lynn or another comparable pitcher as well as a young, controllable arm for Roark.

It's a smart deal.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #44: December 13, 2018, 09:52:56 AM »
There have been 5 players in MLB history named Tanner. All have been called up since 2012 and all have been active within the last two years. Two of them just got traded for each other.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #45: December 13, 2018, 10:11:38 AM »

:spit: 

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #46: December 13, 2018, 10:21:07 AM »
cool cool our owner told our GM a decent player wasn't worth the money so he traded him (while leaking that ownership dictated it) and then we have no realistic replacement

Offline USF_Football

« Reply #47: December 13, 2018, 10:21:10 AM »
'

Depends on if we'd be getting the horrific Miley that pitched for the O's, or the one that threw very effectively last year for the Brewers?

Miley was lights out last season when he came back. Rode him to a fantasy baseball title in a 30-team league where he surprised everyone with consistently excellent game day starts. He started 16 times and had 6 quality starts, never giving up more than three earned runs in any of his starts last season. It could be an outlier season for him... or it could be the point where he's turning the corner.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48: December 13, 2018, 11:00:39 AM »
Miley was lights out last season when he came back. Rode him to a fantasy baseball title in a 30-team league where he surprised everyone with consistently excellent game day starts. He started 16 times and had 6 quality starts, never giving up more than three earned runs in any of his starts last season. It could be an outlier season for him... or it could be the point where he's turning the corner.
the Brewers had the bullpen to yank Miley early, which kept him out of trouble.  If a lot of chips fall right (Barraclough, Rosenthal being OK and Suero / Glover / Grace are on form), then it might work well.  But that's a lot of ifs.  It's as much of an if as "if Joe Ross is OK" or "if Fedde's stuff comes back."

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #49: December 13, 2018, 11:02:53 AM »

it was certainly the turning point for rich hill and ja happ when they did the same thing recently for the sox and pirates respectively.