Author Topic: White Whale Watch 2017 - "The Search Continues"  (Read 1557 times)

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
Milledge :glug:
Harris :clap:
Morgan :hammer:
Ankiel :shrug:
Bernadina :spaz:
Harper :clap:
14-15 Span :worship:
16 Span :|
Turner  :run:
Eaton :hang:

Who's next? Is it Michael A. Taylor superstar? Young Bautista? Chris Heisey the pinch hitter superstar? A trade? Or a flood of awful options resulting in Harper being trotted out there by August?

I know I left 20+ others out but tried to hit the ones who got more than a few starts in the Rizzo era.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
That is amazing.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
I'd bet Lorenzo Cain

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
That is amazing.
I left out short timers like Maxwell, Werth, Taveras, Perez, and I am sure many others. Blocked most of them out. The position has been a gaping wound for this franchise more than any other.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Revere?

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Revere?

Check under CF on this chart for possibly more suspects:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/WSN/pos.shtml

If you scroll down the CFs in each season, a drop down of all CFs for that year will appear.     Smithian's got some nice recall.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
Check under CF on this chart for possibly more suspects:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/WSN/pos.shtml

If you scroll down the CFs in each season, a drop down of all CFs for that year will appear.     Smithian's got some nice recall.
I forgot Revere :rofl:

I was so excited when we traded for him. What a dud.

Offline aspenbubba

Revere?
I lobbied for Revere on WNFF to be re-signed as insurance in case someone got hurt but didn't figure he would be batting less than .200 this season

Offline houston-nat

Lorenzo Cain or Angel Pagan?

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Pagan cant play CF. He's broken.

Offline ZimW1N

• ResignSoto2025
I think Andrew Stevenson ends up being the guy in CF by the end of the season. Dude is hitting in AA and is our i  house Werth replacement imo.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
I like Cain as a rental. Not sure his trade price.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
I think Andrew Stevenson ends up being the guy in CF by the end of the season. Dude is hitting in AA and is our i  house Werth replacement imo.
With Bautista up, Stevenson should be in AAA soon.

Online Slateman

With Goodwin up, Stevenson should be in AAA soon.

Goodwin is in Triple A and not exactly tearing the cover off the ball

Offline Elvir Ovcina

I can't believe Nook Logan hasn't had a mention here yet.  I've tried hard to forget and still can't get there.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
Goodwin is in Triple A and not exactly tearing the cover off the ball
Edited. Goodwin is a proven AAAA player, not an answer.

I can't believe Nook Logan hasn't had a mention here yet.  I've tried hard to forget and still can't get there.
Credit to first poster to find audio of Charlie and Dave screaming about him.

Offline Galah

• 2016 - the year that everything changed, again.

...and who can forget Elijah Dukes....

Offline nfotiu

Can Murphy play LF?  I wouldn't mind seeing Drew get some regular playing time, and Turner/Drew is a way better defensive middle infield. 

If Drew comes back hitting well, I wonder if they got with Turner back in CF occasionally.

Offline aspenbubba

Didn't Ryan Church have a couple of starts in CF? Also DenD and Langenfelter? :hysterical:

Offline whytev

Milledge :glug:
Harris :clap:
Morgan :hammer:
Ankiel :shrug:
Bernadina :spaz:
Harper :clap:
14-15 Span :worship:
16 Span :|
Turner  :run:
Eaton :hang:

Who's next? Is it Michael A. Taylor superstar? Young Bautista? Chris Heisey the pinch hitter superstar? A trade? Or a flood of awful options resulting in Harper being trotted out there by August?

I know I left 20+ others out but tried to hit the ones who got more than a few starts in the Rizzo era.

You missed Revere.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
Can Murphy play LF?  I wouldn't mind seeing Drew get some regular playing time, and Turner/Drew is a way better defensive middle infield. 

If Drew comes back hitting well, I wonder if they got with Turner back in CF occasionally.
Defensively I am happy Murphy can play a passable 2B. He played left field once upon a time but it was a disaster.

Online Slateman

Re: White Whale Watch 2017 - "The Search Continues"
« Reply #21: February 18, 2019, 09:40:24 PM »
https://mobile.twitter.com/mlbtraderumors/status/1097557108827004929?s=09

Rockies Plan To Move Ian Desmond To Center Field

The WW was here the whole time. . . .

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #22: February 19, 2019, 10:37:20 AM »
https://mobile.twitter.com/mlbtraderumors/status/1097557108827004929?s=09

The WW was here the whole time. . . .

Iirc the Nats briefly tried him in the OF (RF?) and he looked terrible. Maybe they didn't stick with it long enough.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #23: February 19, 2019, 10:53:16 AM »
31 year old Ian Desmond played some CF in Texas and didn't look good.  How is 33 year old Desmond going to run around the vast Coors center field?  It seems like the Rockies just sign some random guys who they think will hit ok, and put them where ever in the field.   I guess they figure everyone either hits home runs or strikes out in Coors field, so freak defense.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #24: February 19, 2019, 12:12:46 PM »
31 year old Ian Desmond played some CF in Texas and didn't look good.  How is 33 year old Desmond going to run around the vast Coors center field?  It seems like the Rockies just sign some random guys who they think will hit ok, and put them where ever in the field.   I guess they figure everyone either hits home runs or strikes out in Coors field, so freak defense.

To be fair, Desmond runs pretty fast and throws well, so he'll be at least as good at running down the ball in the gap and throwing to the cutoff as the other donkeys out there who also don't catch them.  I think this is mostly an issue of them paying Desmond too much because he looks like a baseball player, so they're trying to make him at least fake a difficult position while not hitting as opposed to faking 1B and not hitting.