Author Topic: Stephen Strasburg and the Infinite Sadness Tour (2023)  (Read 7031 times)

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Re: Carter Kieboom: finally the year?
« Reply #225: July 25, 2023, 12:24:35 PM »
I haven't checked in a while, but I'd like to look over the guys who must be added to the 40 man this year or be exposed to Rule 5. Millas, Cole Henry are the biggees, maybe Mitchell Parker at AA, then there are injured pitchers like Brzykcy and Shuman and some low minors internationals like Lara and Quintana.

The potential squeeze comes when they add Millas and Henry and then add back Strasburg and Cavalli. One of Pineda or Kieboom may get exposed before Rule 5.

I mean, I dont think we need to worry about adding back Stras

Edit - topic came up in the Kieboom thread regarding whether Kieboom will be released or carried on the 40 man roster over the winter. I then looked at the potential for a 40 man roster squeeze, which led to discussing the need to carry Strasburg on the 40 man roster over the winter

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: Re: Carter Kieboom: finally the year?
« Reply #226: July 25, 2023, 12:27:26 PM »
I mean, I dont think we need to worry about adding back Stras
Actually, you are right. They are obligated even if they release him. It's only an issue if they want to retain his rights.

Offline catocony

« Reply #227: July 25, 2023, 01:49:28 PM »
From a 40-man perspective, there will be plenty of pitchers who can be released/DFA'ed with no fear of anyone picking them up.  Kieboom, someone would take a flyer on him.

Strasburg will remain on the 40-man roster for three more years.  He'll go on the 60-day DL every spring training so he doesn't take up a spot in season, but there's no DL in the off season roster.

Online Slateman

« Reply #228: July 25, 2023, 05:11:27 PM »
Actually, you are right. They are obligated even if they release him. It's only an issue if they want to retain his rights.
Well, yea, but I meant they'll just roll him over to the 60 day IL again

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #229: July 25, 2023, 05:23:25 PM »
Well, yea, but I meant they'll just roll him over to the 60 day IL again
I'm more focused on the Rule 5 deadline for setting the 40 man. I suppose there also may be a need for space after that if they sign a free agent.  Do you simply release Strasburg to manage your roster over the winter? If you keep him over the winter, then it becomes more of a roster squeeze until the point he can be dropped on the 60 day IL for the remainder of the year.

I just don't think the Nats will release him. Organizational ego and image as much as anything. Otherwise, I would imagine if there's any hope of him pitching over the next 3 years, someone would sign him as a minor league FA and try to cash in while the Nats pay him.

Got a feeling some mod is going to move this to the Infinite Sadness thread.

Online Slateman

I'm more focused on the Rule 5 deadline for setting the 40 man. I suppose there also may be a need for space after that if they sign a free agent.  Do you simply release Strasburg to manage your roster over the winter? If you keep him over the winter, then it becomes more of a roster squeeze until the point he can be dropped on the 60 day IL for the remainder of the year.

I just don't think the Nats will release him. Organizational ego and image as much as anything. Otherwise, I would imagine if there's any hope of him pitching over the next 3 years, someone would sign him as a minor league FA and try to cash in while the Nats pay him.

Got a feeling some mod is going to move this to the Infinite Sadness thread.

Im kind of doubting the 40 man roster is such a big deal that we have to worry about releasing Strasburg.

Offline nobleisthyname

Just DFA the entire bullpen minus Thompson, Harvey, and Finnegan (if they're still on the team).

Offline aBaltoNat

We don't think Stras will pitch at all within the next three years?!?!

Online Slateman

We don't think Stras will pitch at all within the next three years?!?!
Nope. Read the articles. Dude has nerve damage. He has to lay down to rest after normal, daily stuff like doing the dishes and vacuuming the carpet. He is legit working to regain quality of life capabilities at this point.

Im rooting for him. Im hoping for him. But we are, legit, in miracle territory for Stras returning to the mound.

Offline aBaltoNat

Nope. Read the articles. Dude has nerve damage. He has to lay down to rest after normal, daily stuff like doing the dishes and vacuuming the carpet. He is legit working to regain quality of life capabilities at this point.

Im rooting for him. Im hoping for him. But we are, legit, in miracle territory for Stras returning to the mound.

I'll do that. I stepped away from baseball for a bit. Still catching up.

Offline catocony

It would be nice if he showed up at the ballpark from time to time.  Unless it's gotten to the point that even waving and smiling or signing some autographs is too painful. 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
I'll do that. I stepped away from baseball for a bit. Still catching up.
this is a great article on what he is going through.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/06/03/stephen-strasburg-tos-recovery-nationals/

This is Svrluga's perspective on the contract and his performance:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/06/06/stephen-strasburg-contract-nationals/