Author Topic: Strasburg to have surgery for thoracic outlet syndrome  (Read 1375 times)

Offline Mattionals

The NBA has an injury exception rule you can apply for. Not sure how often it has been used.

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/wizards/what-does-disabled-player-exception-mean-nba%3famp

I like this. This would be great to use in MLB. The player is still guaranteed their money, but if they are unable to play physically, then the league should have a system where the team can at least clear out a percentage of the luxury tax hit.

Offline Natsinpwc

I like this. This would be great to use in MLB. The player is still guaranteed their money, but if they are unable to play physically, then the league should have a system where the team can at least clear out a percentage of the luxury tax hit.
The NBA is progressive in lots of ways.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
The NBA also has a salary cap, something the players are against in MLB

Offline Natsinpwc

The NBA also has a salary cap, something the players are against in MLB
They have a soft cap.  Not a hard cap. You can exceed the soft cap without penalty by signing your own players.  Essentially MLB has a soft cap also with the luxury tax line. The NBA system would make lots of sense for MLB.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
They have a soft cap.  Not a hard cap. You can exceed the soft cap without penalty by signing your own players.  Essentially MLB has a soft cap also with the luxury tax line. The NBA system would make lots of sense for MLB.

Sure, except for the fact that neither side in MLB wants it

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
[brilliance]

we don't have an up button or like, but Catacony's hit the nail on the head.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
The Lightning won the cup in 2020, and were looking to be over the cap for 2021 without breaking up the team.   Kucherov (one of their best players) conveniently had surgery in December and missed all of the regular season but was ready for the playoffs when the cap didn't count.   They were also able to use his cap space to add at the deadline and basically played the playoffs with a team 18 million over the 82 million cap.

Which led to Kucherov celebrating in this t-shirt
(Image removed from quote.)

That's hilarious, thanks for sharing. I don't follow hockey so this was news to me.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
That's hilarious, thanks for sharing. I don't follow hockey so this was news to me.

The Golden Knights schedule release video I posted in the NHL thread poked fun at the Lightening over that.