Author Topic: Sweepless in Seattle - A Seafood Thread  (Read 7856 times)

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Re: Whytev Goes to Seattle - My Own Thread
« Reply #50: August 30, 2014, 03:17:32 PM »
Hey you can still get an SRO room around Hastings & Main for 1500 if you don't mind a few needles
I was talking about my own city there...

Offline whytev

« Reply #51: August 30, 2014, 03:23:28 PM »
Hey you can still get an SRO room around Hastings & Main for 1500 if you don't mind a few needles

I work around there.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #52: August 30, 2014, 05:45:27 PM »

I love Seattle, Pike's market in particular

The Mariners should do something cool and, instead of having someone throwout the first pitch, they should have a couple of guys over from Pike's market and throw out the first fish.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #53: August 30, 2014, 05:48:43 PM »
You want wild caught, not just fresh.   I doubt you're getting wild caught.  (Unless somehow you're getting wild caught Atlantic salmon, which you shouldnot buy.)
I think the last salmon count in the maine rivers came up with 7 native atlantic salmon.  That's it.  rest were escaped farmed salmon.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #54: August 30, 2014, 05:49:56 PM »
The nearest live salmon is probably 1,000 miles away.  We'll have to disagree on the definition of "fresh".
Angus King maintains there are no wild salmon on the US Atlantic coast so the species should not be listed (I don't follow what happened with the listing).

Offline blue911

« Reply #55: August 30, 2014, 06:02:28 PM »
Angus King maintains there are no wild salmon on the US Atlantic coast so the species should not be listed (I don't follow what happened with the listing).

European gill netting. Damn shame Canada didn't join Iceland in the Cod War

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #56: August 30, 2014, 06:06:17 PM »
I don't know if there are still some in Canada, but i think norwegian salmon is all farmed now, too. Basically, if soemone says they are serving you wild Atlantic salmon, walk away because they are lying to you and you can't trust the fish.  Sad to say, it's also close to the truth about Atlantic cod, with no farming either.

Offline blue911

« Reply #57: August 30, 2014, 06:10:56 PM »
I don't know if there are still some in Canada, but i think norwegian salmon is all farmed now, too. Basically, if soemone says they are serving you wild Atlantic salmon, walk away because they are lying to you and you can't trust the fish.  Sad to say, it's also close to the truth about Atlantic cod, with no farming either.

Iceland still harvests cod but it's nothing close to the hauls of the 70's.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #58: August 30, 2014, 11:51:04 PM »
Damn shame the US Navy didn't join the turbot war in '95. Nobody expects the Spanish inquisition... 

European gill netting. Damn shame Canada didn't join Iceland in the Cod War

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #59: August 31, 2014, 12:47:37 PM »
Iceland still harvests cod but it's nothing close to the hauls of the 70's.
technically, there is still a quota for gulf of maine and georges bank.  Probably not low enough for a recovery, but not enough to keep the fishers in business.  The fisheries service really needs to buy a lot of these boats and get these folks out of the sea. 

Offline blue911

« Reply #60: August 31, 2014, 12:52:59 PM »
technically, there is still a quota for gulf of maine and georges bank.  Probably not low enough for a recovery, but not enough to keep the fishers in business.  The fisheries service really needs to buy a lot of these boats and get these folks out of the sea.

I thought those were hand line permits.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #61: August 31, 2014, 04:02:07 PM »
I thought those were hand line permits.
I can't haven't talked to my source on east coast fisheries lately. 8)

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #62: August 31, 2014, 04:41:33 PM »
Nothing wrong with farm raised - as long as it hasn't been frozen and thawed

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #63: August 31, 2014, 04:58:58 PM »
Nothing wrong with farm raised - as long as it hasn't been frozen and thawed

other than the sea lice, the fecal matter in the pens, as well as the feed.  Salmon farming is as bad as swine farms.

Offline whytev

« Reply #64: August 31, 2014, 10:38:29 PM »
other than the sea lice, the fecal matter in the pens, as well as the feed.  Salmon farming is as bad as swine farms.

Worse.

I had salmon for breakfast everyone.

Offline whytev

« Reply #65: September 01, 2014, 01:02:57 AM »
In Ramos' first AB today he fouled it back and it hit the upper deck railing and came back. The guy  three seats to my left barehanded it.

I did get his autograph on my hat though.

Fun weekend. I'm glad we won the series. I'm also glad we crushed Felix. I was really relaxed after that.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
Re: Whytev Goes to Seattle - A Seafood Thread
« Reply #66: September 01, 2014, 04:52:51 AM »
Not true - it's much easier to control the environment of fish tanks than slop pens

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #67: September 01, 2014, 10:00:07 AM »
In Ramos' first AB today he fouled it back and it hit the upper deck railing and came back. The guy  three seats to my left barehanded it.

I did get his autograph on my hat though.

Fun weekend. I'm glad we won the series. I'm also glad we crushed Felix. I was really relaxed after that.

Odd...I've never thought to have a fan that caught a foul ball autograph my hat...was he otherwise famous?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #68: September 01, 2014, 01:00:08 PM »
Not true - it's much easier to control the environment of fish tanks than slop pens

Depends.

Many of the fish farms are in long narrow bays or lagoons that are tidal - the only change of water in those pens are with the tide changes, and in many cases there's very little water changing happening which results in excess buildup of waste products.

To put the pens out away from the shore where currents can sweep away the waste and provide clean water constantly (like with wild fish, for example) exposes those pens to storms and thus they are put in protected areas instead, but to the detriment of water quality.

Offline whytev

« Reply #69: September 01, 2014, 01:46:24 PM »

This is completely incorrect.

Offline whytev

« Reply #70: September 01, 2014, 01:48:43 PM »
Odd...I've never thought to have a fan that caught a foul ball autograph my hat...was he otherwise famous?

Ha ha. Separate thoughts.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #71: September 01, 2014, 01:58:34 PM »
Ha ha. Separate thoughts.
You done good Whytev.   Not the sweep we wanted but two of three was good. Have been to Seattle a few times though not in last twenty years.  Hoping to go again and maybe when the Nats next visit. 2017?

Offline whytev

« Reply #72: September 01, 2014, 02:02:39 PM »
You done good Whytev.   Not the sweep we wanted but two of three was good. Have been to Seattle a few times though not in last twenty years.  Hoping to go again and maybe when the Nats next visit. 2017?

I'm hoping for October, but actually it would be 2020, I believe.

You only see other divisions every third year now in interleague, and you host them every other time.  So 2020.

I think the W.C. is stupid, but if you are going to have it, I have ideas how it could work better.

Offline whytev

« Reply #73: September 01, 2014, 02:08:20 PM »
How do you attach pictures?

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #74: September 01, 2014, 02:26:05 PM »
I'm hoping for October, but actually it would be 2020, I believe.

You only see other divisions every third year now in interleague, and you host them every other time.  So 2020.

I think the W.C. is stupid, but if you are going to have it, I have ideas how it could work better.
I will just have to wait then.