Author Topic: WP: Nats MASN deal renegotations will have a huge impact  (Read 208268 times)

Offline Dave301

I think Pratt street and inner harbor blows away anything near Nats Park now, including the stuff behind DOT towards the Navy yard.

I wouldn't say that, looking at all the new bars and restaurants that have opened around Nats Park just this year. CIRCA at 1st and M, Walters Sports Bar right below Mission, Dacha next door to Salt Line. Add them to what's already in the area, and it blows away the few spots scattered along Pratt Street. And can we really count Inner Harbor as part of the immediate neighborhood? We might as well count The DC Wharf then.

Amazing to think that the neighborhood isn't even halfway done. When it is, Wrigleyville will be the only comparable MLB park neighborhood.  :clap:

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
I wouldn't say that, looking at all the new bars and restaurants that have opened around Nats Park just this year. CIRCA at 1st and M, Walters Sports Bar right below Mission, Dacha next door to Salt Line. Add them to what's already in the area, and it blows away the few spots scattered along Pratt Street. And can we really count Inner Harbor as part of the immediate neighborhood? We might as well count The DC Wharf then.

Amazing to think that the neighborhood isn't even halfway done. When it is, Wrigleyville will be the only comparable MLB park neighborhood.  :clap:

San Diego says hello.

Offline Dave301

San Diego says hello.

Ah, you might be right. Have you ever been?

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness

Yeah, no. Target Field and Petco both already offer more than Wrigleyville currently offers or what Nats Park ever could.

Offline Copecwby20

Yeah, no. Target Field and Petco both already offer more than Wrigleyville currently offers or what Nats Park ever could.

As loathe as I am to say anything positive about the Braves, Sun Trust Park and the surrounding Battery area is awesome and offers ALOT of dining and night life options. The only time I've had a crazier time after a ball game was when myself and like 7 other Marines got free tickets to Petco Park and proceeded to take the Gas Lamp district by storm afterwards.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
As loathe as I am to say anything positive about the Braves, Sun Trust Park and the surrounding Battery area is awesome and offers ALOT of dining and night life options. The only time I've had a crazier time after a ball game was when myself and like 7 other Marines got free tickets to Petco Park and proceeded to take the Gas Lamp district by storm afterwards.
so you second MDS's assessment of the Petco area?

Offline UMDNats

Yankee Stadium has y'all beat. You can leave the stadium and immediately haggle with a street vendor for a t-shirt while feeling a general sense of endangerment. An experience unlike any other.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
Yankee Stadium has y'all beat. You can leave the stadium and immediately haggle with a street vendor for a t-shirt while feeling a general sense of endangerment. An experience unlike any other.

No other team has a stadium in the south Bronx.  :crackup:

Offline Copecwby20

so you second MDS's assessment of the Petco area?

Hard to say, I've only been to Wrigley once. I basically just hit up the Cubby Bear and the apparel shop that's right off the train.

San Diego had an established nightlife/dining scene prior to Petco being slapped into the middle of it. DC is having a lot more stuff built up around it, but you just don't have enough room to get as much stuff in there as you do in SD. They are both very fun, in their own, different ways.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
Hard to say, I've only been to Wrigley once. I basically just hit up the Cubby Bear and the apparel shop that's right off the train.

San Diego had an established nightlife/dining scene prior to Petco being slapped into the middle of it. DC is having a lot more stuff built up around it, but you just don't have enough room to get as much stuff in there as you do in SD. They are both very fun, in their own, different ways.

It's hard beat a nice ocean breeze leaving Petco at night.  You can even hit up Nobu or Morton's afterward and see AJ Preller looking sad.  Head east and there are plenty of them full release rub-and-tug places too. 

The area around Nats Park is really lame.  Shoehorn in all the Soulcycle and Good Burgers you want into mid-rise new construction and it's still going to be a giant mess of mediocrity.  Does that apartment building across from first base still have the "GET CAUGHT LOOKING" banner on it?  Woof.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.

OT    For awhile now, I thought your avatar was Hunter Thompson  ....   til I googled the photo.

Offline Duke of Earl

OT    For awhile now, I thought your avatar was Hunter Thompson  ....   til I googled the photo.
Trailer Park Boys? Watched about 12 episodes, loved it, but couldn't get the wife to watch any more.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
The new MLB panel made pretty much the same ruling as the previous panel.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/business/bs-md-orioles-nationals-masn-20190416-story,amp.html

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Are we rich?

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
Ah, you might be right. Have you ever been?

I’ve been multiple times. It’s by far my favorite park in terms of baseball and neighborhood. My dream is to live near there one day and walk to games. Unfortunately, I’m in the wrong industry. Everything for me is either much farther up the coast or on the eastern seaboard.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Can Baltimore still appeal?

Yes, but that is very limited. They can appeal directly back to the court of appeals that made the previous decision, so no more winding their way through the courts. The last time through the Os tried any and every argument to get the ruling overturned and only one stuck, now that the one issue has been removed the Os don't have much left to argue. Which is likely why they asked the Governor of Maryland to get involved, they've lost on the merits of the case and are desperate. Could still be a while, the NY appeals court was extremely slow to rule last time.

Offline HalfSmokes

Getting hogan to threaten MLB is the hilarious part- what is his leverage, the only market in the state is already marginal. Threatening to hold up talks regarding OPACY is just inviting Montreal or Portland to remind MLB that they’d be happy to hold a team

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Getting hogan to threaten MLB is the hilarious part- what is his leverage, the only market in the state is already marginal. Threatening to hold up talks regarding OPACY is just inviting Montreal or Portland to remind MLB that they’d be happy to hold a team

Angelos is using this decision to get the state to pay for improvements at OPACY and to keep his rent low. The MLB panel specifically set a fee structure to keep MASN solvent. The Nats will be getting a lot more money but still not as much as they could if they owned the broadcast rights. (No crying for the Lerners, the price of the team was extremely low because it didn't include the broadcast rights and it has quadrupled in value.)

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
wonder if they'll make a push for MASN?

o Hunt Valley-Based Sinclair to Acquire 21 Regional Sports Networks from Disney

Hunt Valley, Md. – In a deal that would make it a significantly stronger player in premium sports programming, Hunt Valley-based Sinclair Broadcast Group said late Friday it will pay $9.6 billion to acquire 21 regional sports networks from Disney. The networks have exclusive local rights to 42 professional teams, including 14 in Major League Baseball (MLB), 16 in the National Basketball Association (NBA) and 12 in the National Hockey League (NHL). During 2018, the portfolio delivered a combined $3.8 billion in revenue across 74 million subscribers. "This is a very exciting transaction for Sinclair to be able to acquire highly complementary assets," said CEO Chris Ripley. "As one of the largest local news producers in the country and an experienced producer of sports content, we are ideally positioned to transfer our skills to deliver and expand our focus on greater premium sports programming." Sinclair's existing sports business consists of Marquee Sports Network, a recently announced joint venture with the Chicago Cubs; the Tennis Channel; Stadium, a joint venture focused on college sports and professional highlights; Ring of Honor Wrestling; and high school sports programming. The deal, which also includes Fox College Sports, requires approval from the Department of Justice.
http://www.sbgi.net
http://sbgi.net/pr-news/sinclair-broadcast-group-to-acquire-21-regional-sports-networks-from-disney-at-a-valuation-of-10-6-billion/

Offline nfotiu

wonder if they'll make a push for MASN?

Having Sinclair own the rights might be the one thing worse than Angelos.

With regards to all the appeals, the numbers of the settlement seem about right on.  No amount of appealing is going to move the needle more than a couple million per year if that.   It just seems all about trying to screw each other or put off paying.

Offline Nick the Pig

So what actually happened here with MASN and the Nats tv rights, does anyone know ?

Online Five Banners

https://www.richmond.com/sports/professional/baseball/mlb-commissioner-on-masn-arbitration-ruling-i-hope-they-decide/article_5ac02721-178e-51f3-b31c-2bc40b0a31cc.html

"Last week, MLB commissioner Rob Manfred said he hopes the saga will end, but his hands are tied as far as forcing an outcome."

"“I don’t control whether there’s going to be continued litigation or not. It’s really the clubs. We issued a decision — I hope they decide to accept this one, and we can get back to focusing on baseball.”"

So, as I seem to recall, his predecessor forged a giveaway of rights in the form of a weighted media deal even though Angelos wasn't due a thing due to territorial rights not being breached and media rights not being established as ceded -- much less to a team in Baltimore who was granted the right to exist in the 1950s by the team then in this market.

Then, the team relocated here was put up for sale with this poison pill baked into the sale. Meanwhile, MLB has vast power under the best interests of baseball clause to exert pressure on Angelos to do the right thing. And yet, Manfred acts like MLB is powerless in this. Nobody stabs this fanbase in the back like MLB and Orioles ownership (and their media enablers, including the Post).

It would be nice for those at local sporting events to think about that before reflexively grunting 'O' and making the national anthem a cheap cheer for Birdland.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
"Last week, MLB commissioner Rob Manfred said he hopes the saga will end, but his hands are tied as far as forcing an outcome."

"“I don’t control whether there’s going to be continued litigation or not. It’s really the clubs. We issued a decision — I hope they decide to accept this one, and we can get back to focusing on baseball.”"

So, as I seem to recall, his predecessor forged a giveaway of rights in the form of a weighted media deal even though Angelos wasn't due a thing due to territorial rights not being breached and media rights not being established as ceded -- much less to a team in Baltimore who was granted the right to exist in the 1950s by the team then in this market.

Then, the team relocated here was put up for sale with this poison pill baked into the sale. Meanwhile, MLB has vast power under the best interests of baseball clause to exert pressure on Angelos to do the right thing. And yet, Manfred acts like MLB is powerless in this. Nobody stabs this fanbase in the back like MLB and Orioles ownership (and their media enablers, including the Post).

It would be nice for those at local sporting events to think about that before reflexively grunting 'O' and making the national anthem a cheap cheer for Birdland.

Best interest of baseball means nothing while Angelos has a court ordered injunction in place. Manfred and the Nats can do nothing but wait. The appeal goes directly to the NY Supreme Court, so no more winding through the appeal process. Angelos has very limited grounds for appeal and he'll lose. But it will take a while because that court was very slow last time.

It won't be $100 million. MASN will be refunded profit sharing distributions based on revised numbers. MLB takes 30% of TV fees. Still, about fifty million isn't nothing.

The big question is the new reset number starting in 2017. If the 2012 fees started at $59 million could they be $80+ now?