Author Topic: Nationals artifacts headed to Cooperstown  (Read 1047 times)

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
Nationals artifacts headed to Cooperstown
« Topic Start: November 01, 2019, 09:57:43 PM »
Here is a list of the artifacts from the series that are headed to the Hall of Fame for an exhibit to be opened after Thanksgiving. I might make my first trip to Cooperstown in the next year. Pretty cool.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/11/01/how-national-baseball-hall-fame-picked-items-bound-nats-world-series-exhibit/

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
Re: Nationals artifacts headed to Cooperstown
« Reply #1: November 01, 2019, 10:01:41 PM »
Here’s Howie’s Game 7 Home Run Ball, complete with the yellow paint from the foul pole.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #2: November 01, 2019, 10:41:12 PM »
Here is a list of the artifacts from the series that are headed to the Hall of Fame for an exhibit to be opened after Thanksgiving. I might make my first trip to Cooperstown in the next year. Pretty cool.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/11/01/how-national-baseball-hall-fame-picked-items-bound-nats-world-series-exhibit/

Every baseball fan should go to Cooperstown at least once, it is an amazing place.

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #3: November 02, 2019, 12:28:43 AM »
I buy game used balls at a lot of games to either collect or to give away depending on my mood or level of intoxication. I had purchased an opening day ball that was pitched by Max, in retrospect, I shouldn't have given that one away.... I had some other cool ones too that got handed out. I held on to my post season one and was really looking forward to buying a game used World Series ball. Apparently the Nats Authentics store does not get any of the World Series Balls and MLB owns them all. They go up for auction. The cheapest of which last I checked was $1,000.00. Had to pass on that.

Offline captkirk42

• Curly W Cards
« Reply #4: November 03, 2019, 01:51:08 AM »
ARGH! Washington Post link and my free views for the year expired months ago.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #5: November 03, 2019, 05:24:04 AM »
ARGH! Washington Post link and my free views for the year expired months ago.

Right click on an article and open link in an incognito window.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #6: November 04, 2019, 09:56:08 AM »

Doesn't work in Firefox for sure. Haven't tried it in Chrome lately.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #7: November 04, 2019, 11:00:23 AM »
Doesn't work in Firefox for sure. Haven't tried it in Chrome lately.
for firefox, click on the 3 bar stack on the upper right of your screen, and select New PRivate Window, then, in the private window, navigate to the page. 

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #8: November 04, 2019, 12:17:43 PM »
Every baseball fan should go to Cooperstown at least once, it is an amazing place.

I haven't been there since the early 80s.    I feel another trip comin' on.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #9: November 04, 2019, 12:21:34 PM »
Here’s Howie’s Game 7 Home Run Ball, complete with the yellow paint from the foul pole.

(Image removed from quote.)

Very cool and quite fitting :clap:

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10: November 09, 2019, 11:45:54 PM »
For those who couldn’t read the article. They got Soto’s home run ball from game 1 and Howie’s homer from game 7.

Other items that will be displayed alongside Kendrick’s and Soto’s historic home run balls include Manager Dave Martinez’s “Finish the Fight” hoodie; the jersey Stephen Strasburg wore in Game 6, during which he became the first pitcher in baseball history to go 5-0 in a single postseason; and the cap Max Scherzer wore in Game 7.

The bat that Anthony Rendon used in Games 1, 2 and 3 and the spikes that catcher Kurt Suzuki wore in Games 1 and 2 also will be featured.

Perhaps the most surprising item that will be included in the Nationals’ exhibit is Fernando Rodney’s glove. While Rodney walked six batters and allowed a grand slam in three appearances against the Astros, the 42-year-old also became the oldest reliever to appear in the World Series since Joe Niekro in 1987.

Offline aBaltoNat

« Reply #11: November 10, 2019, 04:56:22 AM »
Do we know when this stuff will be on display? I may be spending part of the holidays up in Saratoga Springs. Might make sense to take a very big detour and hit this on the way back. My 4 yr old is ripe for this type of experience, as are his parents.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12: November 10, 2019, 09:19:53 AM »
It will be on display “sometime around Thanksgiving”

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #13: November 11, 2019, 07:45:37 AM »
Parra posted on IG the Baby shark in Cooperstown

Offline captkirk42

• Curly W Cards
« Reply #14: November 12, 2019, 02:40:03 PM »
:shock: Wow Thanks.
Got to remember that while Facebooking. Come to think of it I should do all my Facebooking incognito.  :crackup:

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #15: November 12, 2019, 03:20:28 PM »
:shock: Wow Thanks.
Got to remember that while Facebooking. Come to think of it I should do all my Facebooking incognito.  :crackup:

Some websites are hip to this and won’t allow it but some do.

Ps someone here pointed out this trick to me. ;)

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16: November 12, 2019, 03:30:34 PM »
God forbid we pay people for their work...

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #17: November 12, 2019, 06:28:56 PM »
God forbid we pay people for their work...

I don’t mind if that’s the model (I.e. the athletic), but wapo’s is clearly access based on price sensitivity - a small amount of effort makes it free, it’s the same as Safeway having one price, another if you use a bonus card and another if you use their app- the easier you want the product the more you pay

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #18: November 12, 2019, 08:28:03 PM »
I don’t mind if that’s the model (I.e. the athletic), but wapo’s is clearly access based on price sensitivity - a small amount of effort makes it free, it’s the same as Safeway having one price, another if you use a bonus card and another if you use their app- the easier you want the product the more you pay

Wapo's model is to make revenue and pay their reporters. Capitalism. You're arguing that they shouldn't offer different payment models?

And a small amount of effort makes it, well, stealing. Their material is all copyrighted.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #19: November 12, 2019, 08:32:48 PM »
Wapo's model is to make revenue and pay their reporters. Capitalism. You're arguing that they shouldn't offer different payment models?

And a small amount of effort makes it, well, stealing. Their material is all copyrighted.

It’s not stealing, it’s using their website in a way they have decided to allow- they could easily put in a real paywall (just look at the athletic or wsj), but they want the page views. There is nothing wrong with using a browser in incognito or private mode or turning off cookies

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #20: November 12, 2019, 08:34:21 PM »
It’s not stealing, it’s using their website in a way they have decided to allow- they could easily put in a real paywall (just look at the athletic or wsj), but they want the page views. There is nothing wrong with using a browser in incognito or private mode or turning off cookies

I pay for a subscription still, so I'm not really up on what they do for non-subscribers. I rescind my comment.