Author Topic: Welcome New Members, Introduce Yourself!  (Read 433507 times)

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
Re: Welcome New Members, Introduce Yourself!
« Reply #2325: August 04, 2013, 01:26:51 PM »
Welcome OHIO NAT.  We got Nats fans Nation wide!

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #2326: August 04, 2013, 01:37:19 PM »
Welcome OHIO NAT.  We got Nats fans Nation wide!

Worldwide!

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #2327: August 05, 2013, 07:22:30 AM »
Hamilton is about 20 miles north of Cincy. I'm originally from Louisville, Ky
Daughter recently moved to Cincy and will be there 6/7 years so I will be visiting periodically and plan to go to some Reds games.  Have never been to Cincy. 

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #2328: August 05, 2013, 08:17:33 AM »
Is that sort of like being a Peeping Tom ?  As a lurker, you fit right in here - it's actually smarter, for you won't get wound up by those who post outrage just to get a reaction.

I'm sure your friends are giving you grief if they know you're a Nats fan.  Hopefully, we will be fighting the Reds for the last playoff spot..

Hi guys. Been a Nats/Expo fan since the mid eighties. I've been reading this forum for awhile and the passionate and knowledgeable fans on here is rather refreshing. I'm more of a lurker than a commenter but I'm always taking a look at what everybody is discussing.

Offline brec7

• Twitter
« Reply #2329: August 20, 2013, 11:47:32 AM »
Greetings fellow Nats fans- I originally didn't notice this thread, should have posted here before making a rather uninspired debut in a soccer thread in the off-topic section. ;)

I might as well tell my story as I see others before have done so.  I've lived my whole life on the east coast of Canada (Nova Scotia) and grew up with a soft spot for Montreal teams apparently, as I was an Expos & Canadiens (NHL) fan.    Of course my Habs fanship continues to this day uninterrupted but the Expos/Nationals is a bit of a story.

Like any Expos fan, I harbour much resentment towards Selig for what happened in 1994.  I stuck with baseball, though, following the team through thick and thin, and was very much into the Expos wildcard run in 2002.  However, the team lost its tv contract, so in 2003, when the team went on a similar playoff run, I didn't follow nearly as closely (wasn't really easy to watch sports online in 2003 and finding coverage is a bit different when you're not living in the team's city!)  The Expos returned to national tv in 2004 but the whole lame duck situation/team's bad record didn't exactly make following them a top priority, especially when a disconnect of sorts had already formed the previous season in spite of a good record in 2003.

I decided to continue the fanship to Washington- I hold no resentment towards ownership for wanting to bring a team there, Selig & Loria wear the villain hats as far as I'm concerned (so I have a strong dislike for the Marlins as a result.)   However, following the Nats in Canada wasn't super easy back then (now I can watch games online) and the team's performance made it difficult to want to put in a great effort to follow. I was keeping tabs on them of course, and catching the odd game when it was on tv, but wasn't a team expert.   Last year I started following more intensely due to a) the team being good and b) the fact that a buddy of mine graciously gave me his MLBtv password.   :D  It was probably a few years ago I started lurking here as well, but never signed up until now (wanted to know a bit more about the team, plus I was already doing enough time wasting online between facebook and multiple hockey message boards.   :P)

Unfortunately the dreams of a playoff return seem dead about this point, but you never know, maybe we're in store for a Dodgers-esque run!  This seems like a great place to discuss baseball and I'm sure you fine folks will only further my Nats knowledge.  As well, since I'm here, are there any suggestions on twitter accounts to follow for Nationals news?  Ken Rosenthal (who tweeted at me today, woo hoo, I've made it! ;)) is good for all of MLB but I'm looking for something more Nationals specific.

Go Nats :) 

Offline machpost

« Reply #2330: August 20, 2013, 12:33:43 PM »
Greetings fellow Nats fans- I originally didn't notice this thread, should have posted here before making a rather uninspired debut in a soccer thread in the off-topic section. ;)

I might as well tell my story as I see others before have done so.  I've lived my whole life on the east coast of Canada (Nova Scotia) and grew up with a soft spot for Montreal teams apparently, as I was an Expos & Canadiens (NHL) fan.    Of course my Habs fanship continues to this day uninterrupted but the Expos/Nationals is a bit of a story.

Like any Expos fan, I harbour much resentment towards Selig for what happened in 1994.  I stuck with baseball, though, following the team through thick and thin, and was very much into the Expos wildcard run in 2002.  However, the team lost its tv contract, so in 2003, when the team went on a similar playoff run, I didn't follow nearly as closely (wasn't really easy to watch sports online in 2003 and finding coverage is a bit different when you're not living in the team's city!)  The Expos returned to national tv in 2004 but the whole lame duck situation/team's bad record didn't exactly make following them a top priority, especially when a disconnect of sorts had already formed the previous season in spite of a good record in 2003.

I decided to continue the fanship to Washington- I hold no resentment towards ownership for wanting to bring a team there, Selig & Loria wear the villain hats as far as I'm concerned (so I have a strong dislike for the Marlins as a result.)   However, following the Nats in Canada wasn't super easy back then (now I can watch games online) and the team's performance made it difficult to want to put in a great effort to follow. I was keeping tabs on them of course, and catching the odd game when it was on tv, but wasn't a team expert.   Last year I started following more intensely due to a) the team being good and b) the fact that a buddy of mine graciously gave me his MLBtv password.   :D  It was probably a few years ago I started lurking here as well, but never signed up until now (wanted to know a bit more about the team, plus I was already doing enough time wasting online between facebook and multiple hockey message boards.   :P)

Unfortunately the dreams of a playoff return seem dead about this point, but you never know, maybe we're in store for a Dodgers-esque run!  This seems like a great place to discuss baseball and I'm sure you fine folks will only further my Nats knowledge.  As well, since I'm here, are there any suggestions on twitter accounts to follow for Nationals news?  Ken Rosenthal (who tweeted at me today, woo hoo, I've made it! ;)) is good for all of MLB but I'm looking for something more Nationals specific.

Welcome! I really want to visit the Maritime/Atlantic part of Canada someday.

Offline brec7

• Twitter
« Reply #2331: August 20, 2013, 03:28:48 PM »
You absolutely should, it's beautiful here and we're pretty awesome people.  8)  You just have to be able to deal with a lot of Blue Jays and Red Sox fans!

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #2332: August 20, 2013, 04:57:29 PM »
welcome Brec7!

more than a few teams had an off year last year and bounced back this.  dodgers and Red Sox come to mind first.  We can hope we bounce back next year.

As for twitter, I think there is a Nats on Twitter thread in either the clubhouse or red loft  Use the search function for the board (up top below your name), put in "twitter," and search just in the topic headings (a check box) and that should turn up the thread.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #2333: August 20, 2013, 05:52:50 PM »
The thread is linked in the WNFF Index/Links sticky.  It's actually a pretty long list.

http://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=28238.0

Offline brec7

• Twitter
« Reply #2334: August 20, 2013, 06:20:13 PM »
Thanks JCA & Nathan!   Any press people that stand out in that list?  (I'm sure I'll be checking them all out shortly.)  And how often do Nats fans tweet FP after the Nats first hit of the game?  :D

welcome Brec7!

more than a few teams had an off year last year and bounced back this.  dodgers and Red Sox come to mind first.  We can hope we bounce back next year.

I hope so... the organisation will never live down the Strasburg shutdown if the Nats don't go on a run in the next few years!  Oh, and on the topic I hate the Red Sox... I wouldn't mind seeing the Dodgers win this year though (in spite of all the ex-Sox ;)) since Tim Wallach is 3rd base coach there. :)

Offline hit4cycle

« Reply #2335: August 23, 2013, 12:49:06 AM »
I'm Rick. Nats/O's fan

Offline Nathan

« Reply #2336: August 23, 2013, 01:06:58 AM »
I'm Rick. Nats/O's fan

You'll probably get some grief for the second team there :lol:

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #2337: August 23, 2013, 08:59:39 AM »

+1

The fanbois here will never let this new guy live that one down.  Every post of his will be followed by "GO TO BOFF.NET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #2338: August 23, 2013, 09:11:10 AM »

One of my best friends lived across the Bay of Fundy (Saint John, NB).    Welcome.

Offline brec7

• Twitter
« Reply #2339: August 23, 2013, 07:41:03 PM »

Why would that be?  During the interleague series I recall FP & Carp practically singing kumbaya in the booth with Mike Bordick and Jim Hunter when MASN was just one big happy family.    :D

One of my best friends lived across the Bay of Fundy (Saint John, NB).    Welcome.

Nice!  Cool to see other ties to the Maritimes here.  I've been to Saint John a few times, it's about 6 hours from my house (which sounds long but it is a short trip for us in Atlantic Canada. ;))

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #2340: August 23, 2013, 07:45:12 PM »
Nice!  Cool to see other ties to the Maritimes here.  I've been to Saint John a few times, it's about 6 hours from my house (which sounds long but it is a short trip for us in Atlantic Canada. ;))

Do you do the ferry or out the Moncton route?

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #2341: August 23, 2013, 07:50:16 PM »
I'm Rick. Nats/O's fan
  HUGE WELCOME FOR RICK.   I too am a NATS and O's fan!   Except when the O's play the Nats.   Or when the O's play any team MIKEY MORSE plays for!

Offline brec7

• Twitter
« Reply #2342: August 23, 2013, 07:58:02 PM »
Do you do the ferry or out the Moncton route?

I go through Moncton... I'm on the other end of the province so taking the boat would be a longer trip for me.  I've actually never been to that part of Nova Scotia where the ferry sails from, oddly enough.

Offline hit4cycle

« Reply #2343: August 30, 2013, 02:07:07 PM »
haha. nice warm, fuzzy welcome. All I can say is I am psyched this team (the nats..not the O's haha) are hot at the right time. They need to continue steam rolling over teams throughout September and get a visit from lady luck and a wildcard can happen. Longshot yes- but so glad to see our Nats not giving up and still being relevant with the Fall approaching.

Offline ajcartwright

« Reply #2344: September 04, 2013, 10:54:08 AM »
  Or when the O's play any team MIKEY MORSE plays for!

wow, did that all work
out nicely for you or what?
go Nats! go Mikey!

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #2345: September 04, 2013, 08:50:15 PM »
wow, did that all work
out nicely for you or what?
go Nats! go Mikey!

Yeah!   Love it!

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #2346: September 08, 2013, 01:01:07 AM »
Why would that be?  During the interleague series I recall FP & Carp practically singing kumbaya in the booth with Mike Bordick and Jim Hunter when MASN was just one big happy family.    :D

Welcome, Brec7!

There is an old baseball and football tradition to hate Baltimore.

That city was a minor league town for about 50 years; then a family that owned a beer company in Baltimore bought the St Louis Browns from Bill Veeck...an owner with imagination but without money. The Nationals / Senators had been a founding team in the American League, but Washington did not grow millionaires...just ordinary people who work for the government. Clark Griffith, owner of the Nats, former manager, and a founding player in the AL, had no money except what came from running the ballclub. In the early days, he'd had a silent partner with money, a banker in Philadelphia, and until about 1940 teams were built by buying players from the independent minor league clubs, and by making trades. The "Old Fox" was a master trader.

By 1950, you needed money, which the Baltimore family had.

Meanwhile, the Redskins' owner, a racist megalomaniac, insisted that his team would never sign a black player. Passed over Jim Brown, the greatest running back ever. The Redskins sank while the Colts won the NFL championship. Very grim: you could receive Baltimore TV if you had a powerful TV antenna, and there were arguments between Redskin loyalists and people who wanted to root for a winner.

That changed when the Skins wanted to move into the new DC Stadium (now RFK), which belonged to the US Department of the Interior, and Interior Secretary Stewart Udall was a Kennedy Democrat who declared that no park -- including DC Stadium -- would rent space to a segregated organization. After George Preston Marshall suffered a sort of stroke, power of attorney gave control of the team to a smart lawyer who noticed that the Redskins were profitable and used the profits to straighten the team.

The lovey-dovey MASN network covers over the fact that Baltimore and Washington fans dislike each other. FP and Carpenter have to play nice with the Oriole announcers, but there is a serious battle to get reasonable TV money from MASN to the Nats ownership. The Orioles owner claimed that DC was his territory, and refused to allow a team to move here; then insisted that only a National League team could move and only if he got 80 or 90% ownership of MASN. The Nats contract says that they change the revenue-sharing rates every few years. The Nats want something close to 50%, and would probably prefer to negotiate their own TV deal.

Incidentally, we wanted a ball club but hate what MLB and Loria did with the Expos. We lost two Nats teams, one to Minneapolis and a second team to some spot between Dallas and Fort Worth. During the hoo-ha, MLB suggested it might contract a couple of team; one would have been the Minnesota Twins...our old Nats/Senators. I wanted to see the Twins come home.

The Nationals organization, and many people here, feel protectuve about the teams Expos history. We try to accept both Washington baseball history and the Expos history. Both cities got mistreated by MLB. We need to stick together.

Offline 3bside

« Reply #2347: September 25, 2013, 09:34:01 AM »
New here.  I grew up a Mets fan in Saratoga Springs, NY, but have been in the DC area since 1983.  I hated going 22 years without our own team.  I didn't mind the O's in the 90's, but Angelos ruined that.  I put in the deposit for season tickets the first day they opened it up in late 2004, and I've run a season ticket group since then.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #2348: September 25, 2013, 01:37:29 PM »
Welcome.

LAC or LANC?

SSS or LOD?

Offline Nathan

« Reply #2349: September 25, 2013, 01:38:24 PM »
Welcome.

LAC or LANC?

SSS or LOD?

You don't even mention the GoINFU?  :?