Author Topic: Who will be on the 26 man roster Opening Day?  (Read 2176 times)

Offline IanRubbish

fangraphs says Senzel still has options and can be sent to minor league camp while remaining on the 40-man.

He has no options due to the non tender.  He'd likely clear waivers, but as a free agent he'd have the right to reject the minor league assignment and still collect his $ 2 million salary. 

Bigger issue is this team is once again making personnel and playing time decisions primarily on contract terms, not who has the best chance to succeed. Wyatt Langford is fortunate he's a Ranger, not a Nat/Rochester Red Wing.

Offline IanRubbish

I think it's important to remember...they aren't placing any priority on winning this year.  They have already made that pretty evident...

That, and they made three foolish moves with Gallo, Senzel, and Nunez/Rule 5.  Vargas, Meneses, Lipscomb, Garcia, and others could easily have filled those roles.  Rizzo has these itches to make moves, but he has to fit them into Mini Me's mini budget, and the result is Boras bargain bin clients and a Rule 5 with no potential taking away playing time from others with a chance to win in the future. 

Offline Natsinpwc

That, and they made three foolish moves with Gallo, Senzel, and Nunez/Rule 5.  Vargas, Meneses, Lipscomb, Garcia, and others could easily have filled those roles.  Rizzo has these itches to make moves, but he has to fit them into Mini Me's mini budget, and the result is Boras bargain bin clients and a Rule 5 with no potential taking away playing time from others with a chance to win in the future.
If you understand they are not trying to win those moves make a lot of sense.  I don’t really have a problem with Senzel.  Was a top prospect for some reason.  It’s no worse than having Victor in CF again. Victor is making $2.65 million. I’m not sure why some folks want to stick with him but are aghast at giving Senzel a chance.  No real harm done for this year. The future is in the minors for now.  Let’s hope most of those guys make it.

Offline Mattionals

If you understand they are not trying to win those moves make a lot of sense.  I don’t really have a problem with Senzel.  Was a top prospect for some reason.  It’s no worse than having Victor in CF again. Victor is making $2.65 million. I’m not sure why some folks want to stick with him but are aghast at giving Senzel a chance.  No real harm done for this year. The future is in the minors for now.  Let’s hope most of those guys make it.
The thing is, there are guys who deserved making the roster who won't in favor of guys who are making the roster because they have MLB contracts. Robles and Garcia Jr. you can at least make the argument that those guys are internal to the organization and get the benefit of the doubt. The issue is bringing in two guys who basically had been passed over by every other organization on guaranteed MLB deals. Those guys should have had to compete for spots this spring, but they both looked awful and were outplayed by two other guys.

Offline Natsinpwc

I don’t see why it matters if players have been in our organization or another.  A better organization would have moved on from Robles and Garcia and even Meneses. It’s about finding a gem in the dust.  Spring training stats have been shown to be basically useless in predicting what happens in a season.  It’s about getting ready for the real games.  Maybe Senzel will show enough to come back as a part time guy.  Not bad to have a guy who can play 3B and the OF. 

Offline Senatorswin

With the prospects getting close to coming up this is a make or break time for a few of the Nats.

Victor Robles was once a top prospect who so far hasn't panned out like the Nats hoped. But he did start out the 2023 with a .299 average through 36 games before getting injured. The beginning of 2024 is to find out is he a late bloomer or not. They need to play him and see what they have.

Luis Garcia hit .304 with a .867 OPS in 22 games after coming back from the minors last September. They need to start the year with him at second to find out was that the real deal or a temporary thing.

Joey Meneses hit 13 home runs in 56 games with a .930 OPS in 2022. In 2023 he had 89 RBI's on a team where there weren't a lot of RBI chances. I know RBI's are valued as much as some stats but he came through in a lot of big situations last year. They need to play him this year and they'll have a better idea of what they have.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Robles is in his last year with the team. The only hope is that we can get some trade value for him.

Offline Senatorswin

Robles is in his last year with the team. The only hope is that we can get some trade value for him.

That is one reason to play him now.

Offline ChiliPalmer14

• 2019 was neat
I probably missed the story on Hassell.  Was he an earlier demotion, or is he injured?  I haven't seen him in the box scores or seen any news stories.  If anyone has info I'd be curious to know.  Thanks

Offline imref

I probably missed the story on Hassell.  Was he an earlier demotion, or is he injured?  I haven't seen him in the box scores or seen any news stories.  If anyone has info I'd be curious to know.  Thanks
groin injury. He's supposed to play in Tuesday's exhibition.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
so at this point, they need a roster slot for Law and possibly Lipscomb. Strasburg will either be 60 day IL'd or suspended for failure to report to open a slot for Law. Most likely, Lipscomb and Nunez's fates are intertwined: if Lipscomb makes the team, then Nunez is probably waived through MLB to clear a spot on the 40 man and is offered back to the Marlins. Perhaps a trade is worked out to keep him, but I think they may want the 40 man slot cleared. Alternatively, they would have to release someone like Willingham to create a slot for Lipscomb.

I find it interesting that they did not 60 day IL Cavalli. That may mean they want the flexibility to bring him back sooner than June. Or maybe that is the move they take to open another roster slot.

All of this assumes Lipscomb makes the OD roster. If no, then there's no need for a move yet.

Offline Mattionals

so at this point, they need a roster slot for Law and possibly Lipscomb. Strasburg will either be 60 day IL'd or suspended for failure to report to open a slot for Law. Most likely, Lipscomb and Nunez's fates are intertwined: if Lipscomb makes the team, then Nunez is probably waived through MLB to clear a spot on the 40 man and is offered back to the Marlins. Perhaps a trade is worked out to keep him, but I think they may want the 40 man slot cleared. Alternatively, they would have to release someone like Willingham to create a slot for Lipscomb.

I find it interesting that they did not 60 day IL Cavalli. That may mean they want the flexibility to bring him back sooner than June. Or maybe that is the move they take to open another roster slot.

All of this assumes Lipscomb makes the OD roster. If no, then there's no need for a move yet.
I have a feeling Lipscomb makes it.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
Strasburg will either be 60 day IL'd or suspended for failure to report to open a slot for Law.

They'll have a Stras Day at the Park to retire his number at some point and he won't show up for it either...

Offline Mattionals

They'll have a Stras Day at the Park to retire his number at some point and he won't show up for it either...
I really want to know his side of the story. What EXACTLY did happen behind closed doors? Was it Marky Mark? Was it "the others" in the ownership group? Why would ownership do what they did when it was/is obvious that Strasburg is never going to pitch, and that you HAVE to pay him the rest of his contract.

Offline ChiliPalmer14

• 2019 was neat
groin injury. He's supposed to play in Tuesday's exhibition.

Thank you.

Offline imref

Lipscomb on the futures roster for tomorrow's game fwiw.

Offline Mattionals

Lipscomb on the futures roster for tomorrow's game fwiw.
On merit he should make the team, but I also am hoping he only makes the team if there is a way to see him play everyday. Is he Steve Lombardozzi and just a backup IF? Is he Zach Walters who was a flash in the pan who got dealt for a capable MLB player? Or is he a real deal every day major leaguer? If he gets sent down to play every day, I would guess it is because the organization hopes he is the latter and not the former. Still could be the middle one as well.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Zach Walters. Awesome recall!

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Per Joe Trezza's recap of the Nats Future Game, final roster decisions will be on Wednesday or as late as Thursday, and there's no news as to Lipscomb yet.
https://www.mlb.com/nationals/news/james-wood-dylan-crews-play-at-nationals-futures-game?t=mlb-pipeline-coverage
One member of the Prospects' team still has a chance to make the Opening Day roster: No. 16-ranked infielder Trey Lipscomb, who made a big impression this spring (and was charged with a throwing error Tuesday).

Camerato's 11:42 AM projection of the OD roster still had him not on the roster.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Golden has the answer in his game coverage:

Lipscomb‘s opportunity to play regularly at Nationals Park will come, but not quite yet. The Nationals reassigned him to minor league camp after the game, ending a position battle with second baseman Luis García Jr. that lasted until the final game. That move likely signals that shortstop Nasim Nuñez, a Rule 5 draft pick, will earn the team’s final bench spot.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2024/03/26/washington-nationals-prospects/

Also, to make room for Derek Law, Cade Cavalli was placed on the 60 day IL:

Washington also selected the contract of right-handed pitcher Derek Law. To clear space, the Nationals placed righty Cade Cavalli on the 60-day injured list. Cavalli, who had Tommy John surgery last March, is expected to face live hitters in April, but won’t pitch in the big leagues until far later in the season.

Offline Mattionals

Golden has the answer in his game coverage:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2024/03/26/washington-nationals-prospects/

Also, to make room for Derek Law, Cade Cavalli was placed on the 60 day IL:
I think it's as expected. Lipscomb gets to play everyday in Rochester while we wait and see who of Senzel or Garcia Jr. implode first. I bet Lipscomb is up by May, and it's because of a poor start by Garcia Jr.

Offline IanRubbish

No surprise, none of the kids made it.  The OD/early season lineup could be one of the least interesting of the year. 

https://www.mlb.com/nationals/roster/depth-chart

Offline Dave in Fairfax

Here's a breakdown of their Spring Training performance, for what it's worth. Small sample size, nobody cares about ST numbers, yadda, yadda, yadda...

Starting Pitchers
Patrick Corbin   LHP   16 1/3 IP, 5.51 ERA, 1.531 WHIP, 18 Ks
MacKenzie Gore   LHP   15 1/3 IP, 5.87 ERA, 1.304 WHIP, 19 Ks
Josiah Gray   RHP   16 1/3 IP, 6.61 ERA, 1.959 WHIP, 25 Ks
Jake Irvin   RHP   18 2/3 IP, 3.38 ERA, 0.804 WHIP, 19 Ks
Trevor Williams   RHP   15 IP, 7.20 ERA, 1.600 WHIP, 15 Ks

Relief Pitchers
Matt Barnes   RHP   5 IP, 0.00 ERA, 0.200 WHIP, 5 Ks
Kyle Finnegan   RHP   6 1/3 IP, 1.42 ERA, 0.789 WHIP, 11 Ks
Dylan Floro   LHP   4 IP, 4.50 ERA, 1.500 WHIP, 4 Ks
Robert Garcia   RHP   10 2/3 IP, 7.59 ERA, 1.969 WHIP, 11 Ks
Hunter Harvey   RHP   8 1/3 IP, 2.16 ERA, 1.080 WHIP, 15 Ks
Derek Law   RHP   9 1/3 IP, 0.00 ERA, 0.643 WHIP, 12 Ks
Tanner Rainey   RHP   9 IP, 7.00 ERA, 1.778 WHIP, 6 Ks
Jordan Weems   LHP   9 2/3 IP, 4.66 ERA, 1.138 WHIP, 10 Ks

Catchers
Riley Adams   C   31 PA, .286/.355/.464, 1 HR, 4 RBI, 0 SB, 5 Ks
Keibert Ruiz   C   45 PA, .308/.378/.385, 0 HR, 6 RBI, 0 SB, 3 Ks

Infielders
CJ Abrams   SS   53 PA, .275/.302/.451, 2 HR, 6 RBI, 4 SB, 7 Ks
Luis García Jr.   2B   51 PA, .245/.275/.429, 2 HR, 4 RBI, 1 SB, 7 Ks
Joey Meneses   1B   55 PA, .294/.345/.490, 2 HR, 9 RBI, 1 SB, 5 Ks
Nasim Nuñez   SS   35 PA, .152/.200/.182, 0 HR, 2 RBI, 2 SB, 7 Ks
Nick Senzel   3B   43 PA, .231/.302/.282, 0 HR, 6 RBI, 0 SB, 13 Ks
Ildemaro Vargas   SS   44 PA, .231/.318/.256, 0 HR, 2 RBI, 3 SB, 2 Ks

Outfielders
Joey Gallo   LF   43 PA, .103/.186/.128, 0 HR, 4 RBI, 0 SB, 16 Ks
Victor Robles   CF   44 PA, .368/.455/.526, 1 HR, 3 RBI, 1 SB, 10 Ks
Eddie Rosario   LF   29 PA, .174/.310/.174, 0 HR, 3 RBI, 2 SB, 4 Ks
Lane Thomas   RF   61 PA, .306/.426/.490, 3 HR, 6 RBI, 5 SB, 11 Ks
Jesse Winker   DH   50 PA, .333/.480/.462, 1 HR, 5 RBI, 1 SB, 10 Ks

Stephen Strasburg   RHP    - did not play   
Stone Garrett   LF    - did not play   

Offline nobleisthyname

So who had Robles as being the best hitter in ST?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
how the heck did Gray get that many Ks? that's > 1.5 per IP, 13.77/9. last year, he was 8.09 / 9