Author Topic: Future of big name Nats (2012)  (Read 15829 times)

Offline Obed_Marsh

Re: Future of big name Nats
« Reply #175: May 29, 2012, 05:38:01 PM »
It is just BH34Natural seeing a ground floor opportunity to start a thread which will last for years. ;) j/k

p.s. bump, sign him now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)  :D

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #176: May 29, 2012, 05:39:15 PM »
Updates?!?!

Offline BH34Natural

« Reply #177: May 29, 2012, 06:42:35 PM »
It is just BH34Natural seeing a ground floor opportunity to start a thread which will last for years. ;) j/k

p.s. bump, sign him now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)  :D

If only we got poster points for these types of milestones ;)

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #178: May 29, 2012, 06:52:37 PM »
People said the same about the Rays and Longoria. And now it looks like he is literally a slave to the Rays with that contract.

People said the opposite- he only has $17.5 million guaranteed

Offline Rasta

« Reply #179: May 29, 2012, 08:00:03 PM »
We have the coin to do it; so why not us outside of Washington the perception is we are not an area with Small Market concerns

That has nothing to do with it.  Boras clients rarely sign long term deals before free agency.  His mega star clients are even less likely. 

Offline BH34Natural

« Reply #180: May 29, 2012, 08:36:14 PM »
That has nothing to do with it.  Boras clients rarely sign long term deals before free agency.  His mega star clients are even less likely.

Once he hits the open market or if I should say; don't you think the Nats will pay as much as anyone though?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #181: May 29, 2012, 08:42:51 PM »
No

Offline BH34Natural

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #183: May 29, 2012, 08:52:33 PM »
BH34Natural is the 2012 version of "thunder". He should change his screen name to harperstrucknatsfan.   :|

:old:   :spit:

2005-2006 Classic Reference

Offline Kevrock

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #185: May 29, 2012, 08:54:17 PM »
Am I the only one who thinks there's something really odd with this obsession? 

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #186: May 29, 2012, 09:45:48 PM »
No you're not the only one. This is silly to discuss now, because neither side has any reason to do anything. He is under control for years, no player, much less a Boras client gives away a sweetheart deal under this situation, and there is no reason for the team to commit bigtime dollars for a long extension beyond an existing 6 year deal with a kid.

no doubt that Bryce is the real deal and will likely be an elite player for a long career. But no deal is going to happen for years, and with Boras, it may never happen.

Offline BH34Natural

« Reply #187: May 29, 2012, 10:10:33 PM »
Just talking baseball fellas. I certainly don't mean any harm by it. I've just Never felt like there was a player here (or in baseball since Griffey) where I could not miss an AB for fear I'd miss something special.

I know it's a ways off, but so what if I'm worried he won't be a Nat beyond his rookie deal. Just an interesting topic to discuss.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #188: May 29, 2012, 11:06:30 PM »
I say you throw out a 10/$250 deal at the end of the season, assuming he's hitting for over 275 and 20hrs. See if he bites, be willing to go up to 10 with a club option for an 11th, 275 + 35 for 11th year. It's insane, but it's the only way he doesn't become a Yankee. We wait until he's FA or near, the Yanks match anything, he goes to them. Doing a deal like that, even though it's insane risk for the team, is how the drafting team has an advantage. We need to use that advantage for a player like Harper, damn the risks. We should have an epic payday coming per the Masn deal anyway, just use that money. No other scenario do I see Harper staying as a Nat past 2018.

Offline BH34Natural

« Reply #189: May 29, 2012, 11:23:44 PM »
There does not seem to be the optimism amongst fellow Nats fans that exists outside the fan base about keeping him long-term I'll say that, for whatever the reason.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #190: May 30, 2012, 06:27:40 AM »
There does not seem to be the optimism amongst fellow Nats fans that exists outside the fan base about keeping him long-term I'll say that, for whatever the reason.

You clearly haven't been following this team very long.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #191: May 30, 2012, 07:33:03 AM »
You clearly haven't been following this team very long.

Well, that actually isn't a legitimate explanation. Every player we drafted and would want to keep is still here, Zimmerman, Strasburg, Zimmermann, hell, even Lannan. Storen. I don't buy that as an explanation. It's 99.9% Harper's mancrush on the Yankees, .1% Lerner cheapness.

Offline BH34Natural

« Reply #192: May 30, 2012, 08:46:23 AM »
You really think billionaire Ted is going to go cheap when it comes to Harper? Not a chance.

And Harper will follow the $...

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #193: May 30, 2012, 08:55:23 AM »
You really think billionaire Ted is going to go cheap when it comes to Harper? Not a chance.

The trouble is Harper may just be the kind of player who gets locked up through the years he would only be productive as a DH. It depends on what he wants when he has the world at his feet but if he wants a long term deal, we are at decided disadvantage with the AL due to the DH. Gods I hate the DH. Damn you Junior Circuit.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #194: May 30, 2012, 09:00:56 AM »
Well, that actually isn't a legitimate explanation. Every player we drafted and would want to keep is still here, Zimmerman, Strasburg, Zimmermann, hell, even Lannan. Storen. I don't buy that as an explanation. It's 99.9% Harper's mancrush on the Yankees, .1% Lerner cheapness.

Everyone you named is under their initial contract except Zimmerman, and he signed a club friendly deal. :lmao: We're talking about a 300 million dollar contract.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #195: May 30, 2012, 09:06:29 AM »

Hey BH34 - this is true. 

It's because the first few years of the Nats existence went so poorly.  We're only 1 full season and change removed from losing 298 games in 3 seasons.  Or 387 games in 4 seasons (average of 97 losses a season), or 478 games in 5 seasons (average of 95 losses a season).

A lot of the fans that have been around a while haven't quite gotten over all that losing yet and view the current team's performance through that lens - I don't think the 'new' fans will necessarily get that.  I think it's great that Harper and Stras will bring in new fans, but I think there might be that disconnect between the 'new' and 'old' Nats fans.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #196: May 30, 2012, 09:14:24 AM »
Hey BH34 - this is true. 

It's because the first few years of the Nats existence went so poorly.  We're only 1 full season and change removed from losing 298 games in 3 seasons.  Or 387 games in 4 seasons (average of 97 losses a season), or 478 games in 5 seasons (average of 95 losses a season).

A lot of the fans that have been around a while haven't quite gotten over all that losing yet and view the current team's performance through that lens - I don't think the 'new' fans will necessarily get that.  I think it's great that Harper and Stras will bring in new fans, but I think there might be that disconnect between the 'new' and 'old' Nats fans.

It's not the losing... it's been the repeated lack of commitment to spend on the major league product (sans 2012) that has most fans wary... add in a super agent that doesn't like his clients signing away their shot at FA (Boras) + a guy that wants to break every record in the history of baseball, including salary (Harper) and you can start to see why Nats fans would be less than 100% optimistic about the situation.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #197: May 30, 2012, 09:16:25 AM »
I think it's great that Harper and Stras will bring in new fans, but I think there might be that disconnect between the 'new' and 'old' Nats fans.

What fanbase doesn't have a little friction between grizzled veterans and bandwagon fans? Ah yes, losing ones. ;) :poke: j/k

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #198: May 30, 2012, 09:16:56 AM »
Throw in- has a team other than the yankees ever ended up not regretting a mega deal

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #199: May 30, 2012, 09:17:59 AM »
One could argue the Yankees are just starting to pay the piper for their megadeals.