Author Topic: Skenes / Langford Watch (and other 2023 draftees)  (Read 1165 times)

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
Was confused because the pitch up high was also red so there were four strikes. Turns out that was a ball.

How'd he miss that one?

Online Natsinpwc

How'd he miss that one?
He’s good horizontally.  Or is vertically? 

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Skenes goes 3.1 with 1H, 8Ks and 2BBs on Thursday. ERA still at 0.00

Online imref

After 85 ABs Langford is sitting at .235BA / .595 OPS with no home runs.  I saw they had him batting 8th last night.

Online imref

Langford hits his first major league home run - and it's inside the park.

Online imref

Seems silly to still have Skenes pitching at AAA right now.

last night: 6IP, 4H, 0ER, 1BB, 7Ks.  75 pitches, 53 strikes.  ERA now at 0.39, WHIP at 0.87

He's going to have a Strasburg-esque debut when he finally gets the call.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
It is entirely service time manipulation at this point

Offline SkinsNatFan21RIP

I really like Crews but missing out on Skenes due to a draft lottery is just a killer.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
I really like Crews but missing out on Skenes due to a draft lottery is just a killer.
the thing was, the Pirates wanted their top pick to sign for underslot to allow them to use the money elsewhere. I don't think they were necessarily targeting Skenes. It was a reasonable thought all along that we'd get Skenes.

Offline nfotiu

I can't really say I'd prefer the pitcher over field player these days.   As fast as he throws, he's not to be a dominant starting pitcher for more than a handful of years.

Online imref

Langford out 3-4 weeks with a hamstring strain.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Skenes will make his major league debut on Saturday vs the Cubs.

Online Slateman

I hope Skenes shoves, but I cant help feel a bit salty that the Nats got screwed out of drafting him with a bullcrap lottery rule.

Offline IanRubbish

I hope Skenes shoves, but I cant help feel a bit salty that the Nats got screwed out of drafting him with a bullcrap lottery rule.

No reason to give up on Crews and no way the Nats would have called up Skenes this quickly, regardless of performance. 

Online Slateman

No reason to give up on Crews and no way the Nats would have called up Skenes this quickly, regardless of performance. 
I disagree. A lot. If we had drafted Skenes, they would be calling him and Wood up now. They would be pushing to compete this season.

Online imref

4:05 start, free on mlb.tv

ESPN just noted the four highest profile MLB pitching debuts, three of them had Pittsburgh involved:

Strasburg vs Pittsburgh (2010)
Gerrit Cole for Pittsburgh (2013)
Mark Prior vs Pittsburgh (2002)
David Price (2008) - no relation to Pittsburgh

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
4:05 start, free on mlb.tv

ESPN just noted the four highest profile MLB pitching debuts, three of them had Pittsburgh involved:

Strasburg vs Pittsburgh (2010)
Gerrit Cole for Pittsburgh (2013)
Mark Prior vs Pittsburgh (2002)
David Price (2008) - no relation to Pittsburgh
great respect for Price, but he kind of snuck in as a reliever for the Rays in that stretch drive. I don't recall him even starting. The hype was for the quick call up, without the expectation he would become a dominant starter for the rest of the stretch drive. That was near the peak of the Red Sox hype of that decade and marked the emergence of the Rays (who would beat the defending WS champs in the ALCS), so I was conscious of the Price hype, but in no way was it in the same league as Skenes or Strasburg. So really the top 4  all involve Pittsburgh, IMO. I'm comfortable saying this one is #2.