Author Topic: Stephen Strasburg Retires  (Read 10960 times)

Online nobleisthyname

Re: Stephen Strasberg Retires
« Reply #25: August 24, 2023, 04:19:13 PM »
The main benefit to the Nats out of this, besides getting closure, is more flexibility during the offseason roster crunch when the 60 Day IL isn't a thing. I'm glad Stras is still getting paid in full.

One question I have though is will it still count against the CBT? The tweet from Nightengale suggests it will, but I wasn't sure.

Offline catocony

« Reply #26: August 24, 2023, 04:21:38 PM »
If he just retired on his own volition, he wouldn't get any remaining money.   They probably worked out some kind of settlement to defer or reduce what was owed.
He didn't retire on his own volition but due to injury.  The contract is guaranteed as is - the union wouldn't allow him to simply not take his money, and he's not an idiot so he's not giving it up on his own.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #27: August 24, 2023, 04:22:02 PM »
There is this quote from Zuckerman's masn article.  Maybe he made some concessions?  I guess the downside of not retiring is he has to show some due diligence of trying to get back on the field.

Because he still has three years remaining on the seven-year, $245 million contract he signed after the 2019 World Series, Strasburg needed to work out some kind of financial arrangement with the Nationals. In voluntarily retiring, the 35-year-old would normally forfeit any money still owed to him. Sources familiar with the situation said negotiations had been taking place for months, delaying the final resolution until now.

Offline catocony

« Reply #28: August 24, 2023, 04:25:20 PM »
The main benefit to the Nats out of this, besides getting closure, is more flexibility during the offseason roster crunch when the 60 Day IL isn't a thing. I'm glad Stras is still getting paid in full.

One question I have though is will it still count against the CBT? The tweet from Nightengale suggests it will, but I wasn't sure.
The contract is the contract.  Payments will remain the same, counting against the luxury tax will remain the same.  The Nats aren't anywhere close to hitting it right now, and won't be for years most likely.  From a dollars perspective, for both Strasburg and the Nats, this is a non-event.  Same money as if he was playing - well, no performance bonuses - over the same number of years.  He's on the luxury tax books through the end of 2026.

Deferred money counts for the year it was deferred from, not when it's paid.  MLB calculations are very different than NFL, NBA, NHL.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #29: August 24, 2023, 04:27:05 PM »
The contract is the contract.  Payments will remain the same, counting against the luxury tax will remain the same.  The Nats aren't anywhere close to hitting it right now, and won't be for years most likely.  From a dollars perspective, for both Strasburg and the Nats, this is a non-event.  Same money as if he was playing - well, no performance bonuses - over the same number of years.  He's on the luxury tax books through the end of 2026.

Deferred money counts for the year it was deferred from, not when it's paid.  MLB calculations are very different than NFL, NBA, NHL.
The point you are missing, is if he retires with no settlement, he doesn't get the rest of his salary.   It seems that some settlement was reached.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #30: August 24, 2023, 04:37:05 PM »
I may be wrong but I think they will still be stuck with the AAV counting against the luxury tax line but that’s not a factor for the Nats now. Sounds like he might have agreed to take less cash but of course some of that might be the deferred money.  To the Lerners benefit or any future owners.

Hats off to Stephen as he did not need to do that.  He really did give his arm for the 2019 title. I hope there is some kind of on line platform where we can provide our best wishes. Hope he can have enough use of the arm and lack of pain to enjoy his kids. 

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #31: August 24, 2023, 04:38:00 PM »

Online nobleisthyname

« Reply #32: August 24, 2023, 04:39:16 PM »
Yeah I know the CBT isn't anywhere close to a concern for the Nats. Take away Stras' and Corbin's contracts and we have the lowest payroll in baseball, even lower than the A's. I was just curious from a baseball front office management perspective how it worked with retirement.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #33: August 24, 2023, 04:47:30 PM »
I suppose the settlement also helps the Nats nail down the obligation, which a buyer might like because it removes uncertainty. REgardless of the CBT, they probably got a payment stream that lowers the net present value of the obligation, which is all a buyer would want to know.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #34: August 24, 2023, 04:49:58 PM »
I suppose the settlement also helps the Nats nail down the obligation, which a buyer might like because it removes uncertainty. REgardless of the CBT, they probably got a payment stream that lowers the net present value of the obligation, which is all a buyer would want to know.
Maybe like a Bobby Bonilla deal.  And that we could celebrate Stephen for years. Long after I am dead!

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35: August 24, 2023, 05:24:05 PM »
This deserves its own thread.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #36: August 24, 2023, 05:25:25 PM »
This deserves its own thread.
good idea.

Offline hotshot

« Reply #37: August 24, 2023, 05:38:08 PM »
At the time, I was all for going after Rendon instead of Stras with the big bucks. That wouldn't exactly have worked out well either.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #38: August 24, 2023, 07:14:40 PM »
Hope they drop a ton of Strasburg merch on MLB Shop to commemorate his career because I actually don’t own any Strasburg attire.

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #39: August 24, 2023, 08:02:52 PM »
Iirc, if you retire you forfeit the remaining money on your contract (Adam LaRoche gave up something like $14 million remaining on his contract when he retired after the White Sox banned Drake LaRoche from their clubhouse) but if you are forced to retire due to career-ending injury you still get paid (which is why Chris Davis was paid his full contract by the O's). I assume Strasburg is the latter.

As for Strasburg, he put DC on the baseball map and won this franchise a World Series. Very simple.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #40: August 24, 2023, 08:08:13 PM »
Kind of feels like a wake

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #41: August 24, 2023, 08:08:52 PM »
Iirc, if you retire you forfeit the remaining money on your contract (Adam LaRoche gave up something like $14 million remaining on his contract when he retired after the White Sox banned Drake LaRoche from their clubhouse) but if you are forced to retire due to career-ending injury you still get paid (which is why Chris Davis was paid his full contract by the O's). I assume Strasburg is the latter.

As for Strasburg, he put DC on the baseball map and won this franchise a World Series. Very simple.
THere was a tweet I saw about him negotiating. He can simply come in every year and be put on the IL. That's his right as a player.

Offline MorseTheHorse

« Reply #42: August 24, 2023, 09:04:40 PM »
Funny how after the shutdown in 2012, it was the 2019 playoff run that did him in.  His postseason stats are insane.  His debut was insane.  Too bad he couldn't stay healthy, but awesome that he got to win a World Series! 

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #43: August 24, 2023, 09:18:09 PM »
Funny how after the shutdown in 2012, it was the 2019 playoff run that did him in.  His postseason stats are insane.  His debut was insane.  Too bad he couldn't stay healthy, but awesome that he got to win a World Series! 

I tend to think he was ok after that, but the disjointed 2020 season with lots of stops and starts and then short pre-season was the beginning of the end.

Online imref

« Reply #44: August 25, 2023, 12:02:53 AM »
Another confirmation of the contract:
Per Mark Feinsand of MLB, Strasburg will be paid 100% per his current contract, and paid-out exactly per those terms with no derivation. That would impact the team at $35 million a year for 2024, 2025, and 2026.

Offline sixthree175

• Born in 1961
« Reply #45: August 25, 2023, 12:37:17 AM »
Two things can be true at the same time:
1. They will erect a life size statue of him at Nats Park.
2. This is/was the worst team contract in MLB history, and most of us saw it coming from a mile away. 

Is the team obligated to disclose the terms of the retirement settlement?  I want to know.  If the team doesn't at least get some sort of consolation prize, it will leave a bad taste in my mouth.

Online imref

« Reply #46: August 25, 2023, 12:52:44 AM »
2. This is/was the worst team contract in MLB history, and most of us saw it coming from a mile away. 

Is the team obligated to disclose the terms of the retirement settlement?  I want to know.  If the team doesn't at least get some sort of consolation prize, it will leave a bad taste in my mouth.

if the contract remains in force and counts against the team, then he's not officially retiring (I think?) and would end up on the 60-day DL for the next 3 years.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #47: August 25, 2023, 01:55:53 AM »

It’s the worst contract in North American sports history. And it’s not particularly close.

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
« Reply #48: August 25, 2023, 03:14:37 AM »
Thanks for the memories, Mr. Strasburg. I will remember Strasburg for what he did, not what injuries took away. During the 2012-2019 era, in which the Nationals compiled an impressive number of wins and division titles, Strasburg was a major contributor to all that winning. And the 2019 postseason was one for the ages, one of the greatest pitching runs the sport will ever know.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #49: August 25, 2023, 04:27:33 AM »
This is confusing because under the contract they are not “paying out” 35 million a year for the next three years. That is the AAV. The actual cash is $23.6 million because of the deferrals.

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/washington-nationals/stephen-strasburg-6865/

So my question is under the CBA could they calculate further deferrals for the 2024-26 seasons?  And/or could they agree to further deferrals for the funds already deferred beyond 2026 (end of the contract)?  If I recall correctly they are also paying him now for deferrals under the previous contract.