Author Topic: NFL 2023-24  (Read 15018 times)

Offline English Natsie

• It's baseball, Jim, but not as we know it...
Re: NFL 2023-24
« Reply #200: October 15, 2023, 07:45:42 PM »

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #201: October 15, 2023, 09:48:49 PM »
The bills are cursed. Hope Harris is ok.

Offline imref

« Reply #202: October 15, 2023, 11:28:56 PM »
Bills miss another key late kick against the giants. Where have I seen this before?

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #203: October 16, 2023, 10:08:40 AM »
Bills miss another key late kick against the giants. Where have I seen this before?
Well this is no NY Giants Super Bowl team.  I suppose it was too much to expect the Giants and Jets to win on the same day.

Offline imref

« Reply #204: October 16, 2023, 02:59:58 PM »
Giants should have gotten a PI call on the final play

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #205: October 18, 2023, 10:57:09 AM »
I saw a spitballing speculative piece on Boston.com that the Pats may be dealing players at the deadline at the end of the month. The next two games are likely losses (Bills, Dolphins) dropping them to 1-7. They have a number of UFAs coming up, some of whom actually might be worth dealing for. An edge LB in Josh Uche, who had a dozen sacks last year, Kendrick Bourne (a WR who might be a 2nd or 3rd option on a good team), multiple safeties, plus a couple of tight ends. Has a 2021 Nats deadline feel, minus anyone comparable to Scherzer and Turner. Ezekiel Elliot has looked good when used and could be an option, too.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #206: October 18, 2023, 11:01:56 AM »
I saw a spitballing speculative piece on Boston.com that the Pats may be dealing players at the deadline at the end of the month. The next two games are likely losses (Bills, Dolphins) dropping them to 1-7. They have a number of UFAs coming up, some of whom actually might be worth dealing for. An edge LB in Josh Uche, who had a dozen sacks last year, Kendrick Bourne (a WR who might be a 2nd or 3rd option on a good team), multiple safeties, plus a couple of tight ends. Has a 2021 Nats deadline feel, minus anyone comparable to Scherzer and Turner.

Doesn't that ensure that Bill is gone? If he's chasing the record, tearing the team down to nothing (not that there's much now) means another terrible year next year too. He's 71 and still 17 short of the wins record.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #207: October 18, 2023, 11:16:28 AM »
Doesn't that ensure that Bill is gone? If he's chasing the record, tearing the team down to nothing (not that there's much now) means another terrible year next year too. He's 71 and still 17 short of the wins record.
Dude loves his draft maneuvering so having a bunch of picks and dealing might be fun for him. to get 17 wins, he needs to coach at least a couple more years with this crew. A quick restock and lots of FA money might be quicker to fringe contention. Thing is, other than Kyle Duggar and maybe Bourne, none of his UFAs are going to be worth it to a bad team to re-sign (maybe a second safety).

The team needs a lot of new meat on the O-line. They're starting at least 3 guys who would be cut be any other team.

As much as folks say BB is nothing without Brady, a real weakness was the ultimate retirement of Dante Scarnecchia, the O-line coach. I think he may have been back for Jones's rookie season, which was his only decent one. The dude was the only constant for all their super bowls (but one - I think the ATL one), including the one in the 80s and the one with Bledsoe.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #208: October 18, 2023, 11:19:31 AM »
Dude loves his draft maneuvering so having a bunch of picks and dealing might be fun for him. to get 17 wins, he needs to coach at least a couple more years with this crew. A quick restock and lots of FA money might be quicker to fringe contention. Thing is, other than Kyle Duggar and maybe Bourne, none of his UFAs are going to be worth it to a bad team to re-sign (maybe a second safety).

The team needs a lot of new meat on the O-line. They're starting at least 3 guys who would be cut be any other team.

As much as folks say BB is nothing without Brady, a real weakness was the ultimate retirement of Dante Scarnecchia, the O-line coach. I think he may have been back for Jones's rookie season, which was his only decent one. The dude was the only constant for all their super bowls (but one - I think the ATL one), including the one in the 80s and the one with Bledsoe.

They need a new offense. The O line, but also WR. Right now they are spending a fortune and don't have any explosive play maker and they need a new QB. The probably need an OC whose main quality isn't just Bill likes him   

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #209: October 18, 2023, 11:29:57 AM »
They need a new offense. The O line, but also WR. Right now they are spending a fortune and don't have any explosive play maker and they need a new QB. The probably need an OC whose main quality isn't just Bill likes him   
probably right about the receivers. I think they have the most money locked up in receivers of any team, which is just astounding given the lack of a pro-bowl type of option.

I might quibble on O'Brien. The play design and calling is less of a problem than the execution (and the O-line). Maybe O'Brien can be blamed for the penalties, but it's got to be giving BB more heartburn than anything. What makes the team nearly impossible to watch is the lack of discipline and killing themselves. They're mediocre talent-wise, but mentally they are as bad as their record.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #210: October 18, 2023, 01:47:10 PM »

Yea losing Scar and Ernie Adams I believe in the same year has really hurt BB it seems. Will adore him forever but it really may be time for him to go enjoy his golden years, coach a high school or low level college program just for fun.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #211: October 18, 2023, 01:59:32 PM »
Yea losing Scar and Ernie Adams I believe in the same year has really hurt BB it seems. Will adore him forever but it really may be time for him to go enjoy his golden years, coach a high school or low level college program just for fun.

There is a good chance the Chargers job opens up and he catches Schula there.

Offline English Natsie

« Reply #212: October 18, 2023, 02:20:16 PM »
Interesting comments, from Commissioner Goodall, with regard to the road-map for a London franchise. He confirmed what was already assumed - the Jags playing back-to-back games is the next 'integrity of the game' test (any advantage / disadvantage to either team). Assuming no issues arise, the concept will then depend on the outcome of the stadium negotiations, in Jacksonville. If the Jags get their stadium then they'll need a temporary home for two seasons - that would be London. It would allow the NFL to have the ultimate 'stress-test', over two seasons, to find out if a London franchise would work. If not, then the concept could be dropped, with the Jags returning home anyway, and it would be an abandonment based on evidence and experience, not just because some owners might not be keen, which UK fans in favor of a home franchise would accept. London would revert to the current set-up. If there were no issues then the Jags would return, and Goodall would give the green-light to a London expansion franchise. Things were not so clear-cut on what happens if there is no stadium deal - the inference was that the Jags would relocate to London and, if it didn't work, then they would be relocated back within the US.

It was encouraging to hear the Commissioner saying that his enthusiasm, for a Lomdon franchise, grows with every London Series. Significant as it has always been felt, over here, that his previously reported uncertainty and hesitation was a major obstacle.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #213: October 18, 2023, 02:37:30 PM »
I wonder what the NFLPA's stance will be. I'm sure the lawyers for the league and union are having ulcers trying to figure out how UK law applies the players there. Can a player drafted to the London team challenge the concept of the draft once they get there (it's probably a restraint of trade under Uk law). What about player trades (not a thing in Europe, possibly also a restraint of trade) or the franchise tag?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #214: October 18, 2023, 03:39:36 PM »
further expansion beyond 32 teams might be a problem or opportunity. 33 teams suggests maybe 3 conferences, abandoning the traditional NFC/AFC, or perhaps reversion to a 3 divisions in 2 conferences (5/6/6 and 5/5/6) set up. A London franchise might be a way station to a 34th team in Mexico or Germany. I don't think another US-based franchise is needed unless perhaps San Antonio or San Diego steps up with a stadium. 

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #215: October 18, 2023, 03:51:45 PM »
This is all just posturing to get the city of Jacksonville to put up more money.  They could just move to Orlando. Florida needs three NFL teams so there is always one of their games on TV and I can’t watch the Eagles.

Offline English Natsie

« Reply #216: October 18, 2023, 06:43:55 PM »
further expansion beyond 32 teams might be a problem or opportunity. 33 teams suggests maybe 3 conferences, abandoning the traditional NFC/AFC, or perhaps reversion to a 3 divisions in 2 conferences (5/6/6 and 5/5/6) set up. A London franchise might be a way station to a 34th team in Mexico or Germany. I don't think another US-based franchise is needed unless perhaps San Antonio or San Diego steps up with a stadium.

I didn't include, in my post, but Goodall's ideal solution would be a new 'NFL Europe' division with four expansion teams. The thinking is that those teams would play several games, each season, against each other - this would reduce the amount of US / Europe travel. I struggle with that - London and Frankfurt would be realistic, but then?...

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #217: October 18, 2023, 07:54:47 PM »
I didn't include, in my post, but Goodall's ideal solution would be a new 'NFL Europe' division with four expansion teams. The thinking is that those teams would play several games, each season, against each other - this would reduce the amount of US / Europe travel. I struggle with that - London and Frankfurt would be realistic, but then?...

Two in London to cut down on travel and hopefully create a rivalry, one in Frankfurt and one in Edinburgh to hopefully create a rivalry with the English teams

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #218: October 18, 2023, 08:30:52 PM »
So eventually those teams would have to play the NFC and AFC west divisions.   Long travel and big differences for fans of the teams. The western teams will never vote for any of this.  Even a permanent London team.

Offline English Natsie

« Reply #219: October 19, 2023, 07:47:34 AM »
So eventually those teams would have to play the NFC and AFC west divisions.   Long travel and big differences for fans of the teams. The western teams will never vote for any of this.  Even a permanent London team.

We'll see how serious things are if the Jags get their stadium - if they aren't temporarily replocated to London, then the NFL's bluff will have been called. Personally, I prefer things as they are - we don't need a franchise over here. I'm not sure why US sports face this - in soccer, for example, FIFA regulations prohibit teams from playing elsewhere, other than for exhibition or friendly games. It'd be like having DC United in the Championship or PL... ;)

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #220: October 19, 2023, 07:51:30 AM »
We'll see how serious things are if the Jags get their stadium - if they aren't temporarily replocated to London, then the NFL's bluff will have been called. Personally, I prefer things as they are - we don't need a franchise over here. I'm not sure why US sports face this - in soccer, for example, FIFA regulations prohibit teams from playing elsewhere, other than for exhibition or friendly games. It'd be like having DC United in the Championship or PL... ;)

FIFA is going to lose an anti-trust suit in the US over that issue.

https://www.findlaw.com/legalblogs/law-and-life/u-s-soccer-takes-fifa-antitrust-case-to-scotus/

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #221: October 19, 2023, 09:03:07 AM »
Two in London to cut down on travel and hopefully create a rivalry, one in Frankfurt and one in Edinburgh to hopefully create a rivalry with the English teams
Madrid or Barcelona makes sense. Amsterdam. Look where they tried the prior Euro league. I thought Barca was pretty successful, but apparently they haven't gone back there so I may be mistaken.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #222: October 19, 2023, 09:37:57 AM »
Madrid or Barcelona makes sense. Amsterdam. Look where they tried the prior Euro league. I thought Barca was pretty successful, but apparently they haven't gone back there so I may be mistaken.

I still want to know how they will make player contracts and the CBA work under EU law. What happens if Barca uses a franchise tag and the player goes to court?

Offline imref

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #224: October 22, 2023, 04:14:29 PM »
Buffalo isn't it this year. Maybe peak in the post season