Author Topic: Everyone's athletic now...  (Read 280 times)

Offline English Natsie

• It's baseball, Jim, but not as we know it...
Everyone's athletic now...
« Topic Start: February 21, 2024, 05:07:49 AM »
As predicted, soccer comes to MLB. Thank you, Nike... :roll:

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-new-uniform-changes-2024

Better start that diet.... :lol:   ;)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: Everyone's athletic now...
« Reply #1: February 21, 2024, 08:37:39 AM »
I have to laugh a bit at "athletic cut" and the more precise fit. John Kruk, a former player and baseball announcer, once was asked about being an athlete, and his response was "I'm not an athlete, Ma'am, I'm a baseball player."

Offline blue911

« Reply #2: February 21, 2024, 08:53:04 AM »
Moisture wicking fabric makes you smell like crap. Drier and cooler for sure but the smell is awful.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3: February 21, 2024, 09:11:45 AM »
Moisture wicking fabric makes you smell like crap. Drier and cooler for sure but the smell is awful.
gonna guess that's what daily laundry is for.

Offline English Natsie

« Reply #4: February 21, 2024, 09:33:22 AM »
So we have the wider neckline and 'athletic' (ahem..) fit, to use less material, thinner material, and less substantial and more standardized letters and graphics. But, of course, this isn't about Nike increasing it's margins - it's about 'next-gen uniforms' (honest!...)... ;)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5: February 21, 2024, 09:39:36 AM »
So we have the wider neckline and 'athletic' (ahem..) fit, to use less material, thinner material, and less substantial and more standardized letters and graphics. But, of course, this isn't about Nike increasing it's margins - it's about 'next-gen uniforms' (honest!...)... ;)
I wonder how this markets to the fans. Obviously, they are going to need versions that are looser than the precise fit for the unis. I mean, there are certain body types that just are not Stone Garrett-like.

Offline English Natsie

« Reply #6: February 21, 2024, 02:11:57 PM »
I wonder how this markets to the fans. Obviously, they are going to need versions that are looser than the precise fit for the unis. I mean, there are certain body types that just are not Stone Garrett-like.

It looks like the cheaper replica version (as opposed to the 'as worn on field' jersey) will be available in regular fit - at least, without the tailored cut-in of the 'athletic' fit...I suspect it will still be narrower fitting than we're used to... ;)

Offline blue911

« Reply #7: February 21, 2024, 03:11:14 PM »
Makes me miss Bartolo Colon even more.

Offline English Natsie

« Reply #8: February 22, 2024, 03:08:55 PM »
Shame that, unless the Who Dey's call him up, we won't get to see Vogelbach in 'athletic fit'.... :D   ;)

Offline wj73

« Reply #9: February 22, 2024, 03:26:13 PM »
The new uni pants look a tad . . . diaphanous. :shock:

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #10: February 22, 2024, 06:06:13 PM »
It is way past time to bring back the Sears Catalogue look:

Offline English Natsie

« Reply #11: February 22, 2024, 06:29:31 PM »
The new uni pants look a tad . . . diaphanous. :shock:

Steady, now..:D   ;)

Offline English Natsie

« Reply #12: February 22, 2024, 06:33:20 PM »
Looking at the Dodgers / Padres ST game, these new jerseys just look sooooo wrong...like watching players whose jerseys have shrunk in the wash. No wonder they have to be sweat wicking. Going to take quite some getting used to...

I wonder how long it shall be before players are quietly raiding their club store to get some regular fit replicas to wear?... :lol:   ;)

Offline wj73

« Reply #14: February 22, 2024, 08:32:28 PM »
Quote from: English Natsie link=topic=41185.msg2308022#msg2308022date=1708644571
Steady, now..:D   ;)

:mg:

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15: February 24, 2024, 09:05:34 PM »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2024/02/24/mlb-pants-jerseys/

Janes discussing players see-through pants and their tiny names and numbers on their jerseys.

While MLB had been relatively quiet about the jersey concerns, the see-through pants sent officials scrambling. They insist the new pants are the same thickness as the old ones. They pulled pictures of photo days past in which tucked-in jerseys were visible, circulating them to reporters to demonstrate that the old white pants had the same level of transparency. They speculated that the bright lights set up for photo days might have exacerbated a problem that won’t be nearly as glaring on the field. And indeed, as much as those pictures went viral on social media, many players later said they hadn’t noticed the new pants being more transparent until someone mentioned it.

“I didn’t notice [the pants] until people started talking about it. Then I noticed I could see my tights through it,” Blue Jays shortstop Bo Bichette said. “That’s why you wear something under your pants.”
MLB officials say the taper, like so many of the changes in the new jersey, is the product of six years of research conducted in conjunction with Nike, a process that included player body scans and a trial run at last year’s All-Star Game. Designers chose to make the numbers and letters lighter and smaller to match the decreased heft of the jerseys themselves. But MLB’s calculus does not seem to match that made by the players, many of whom think the smaller appliqués cheapen the look.

Offline English Natsie

« Reply #16: February 25, 2024, 05:54:07 AM »
I wonder how much 'in conjunction with Nike' actually means 'we went along with whatever Nike wanted'...MLB have no excuses as (at the risk of repeating myself) they could see what Nike did with soccer shirts. The applique look makes the on-field look like replicas - now why am I not surprized to see the words 'Nike' and 'cheapen' in the same paragraph... ;)

Offline English Natsie

« Reply #17: February 25, 2024, 11:44:14 AM »

Janes discussing players see-through pants

I don't know about see-through, and it was, perhaps, a quirk of the local TV coverage, but the Nats pants looked dazzingly white. Can you have day-glo white?  ;)

Offline English Natsie

« Reply #18: February 26, 2024, 05:27:26 AM »
I think the pants must be the material - I looked in on the Mariners ST game and their pants were pretty day-glo white too.

NIke haven't gone for the complete 'big-bang' - it'll be next season before we lose the button-up front and piping, and just have pullovers... ;)