Author Topic: Deaths of famous people (2022)  (Read 11505 times)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Re: Deaths of famous people (2022)
« Reply #325: December 01, 2022, 10:36:19 PM »
This was a personal favorite.

Yes, and Songbird too.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #326: December 01, 2022, 10:43:30 PM »
Gaylord Perry at 84.
Will folks spit on his grave?

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #327: December 02, 2022, 09:18:56 AM »
Will folks spit on his grave?

Better that than what she did to the ringleader in that movie.

Offline 1995hoo

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #331: December 05, 2022, 09:01:01 PM »
:(

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #332: December 06, 2022, 08:55:11 AM »
It's probably hard to imagine for Millennials and Gen Z just how much NBC's network line up of comedy shows on Thursdays (primarily) dominated television in the late 80s and early 90s.  Before much video recording and streaming. Had to watch.  I think the phrase "must see TV" may have originated with the Thursday line up. 

Offline machpost

« Reply #333: December 06, 2022, 09:50:07 AM »
I think the phrase "must see TV" may have originated with the Thursday line up. 

Yep, I think they marketed it as such.

Offline imref

« Reply #334: December 06, 2022, 09:53:49 AM »
It's probably hard to imagine for Millennials and Gen Z just how much NBC's network line up of comedy shows on Thursdays (primarily) dominated television in the late 80s and early 90s.  Before much video recording and streaming. Had to watch.  I think the phrase "must see TV" may have originated with the Thursday line up. 

yep, and as one show wrapped up, another was ready to take its place: Cheers > Seinfeld/Friends > The Office. Not really anything after the Office though.

She was also really good in the under-rated comedy Summer School with Mark Harmon.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #335: December 06, 2022, 10:07:19 AM »
The thing with the Thursday line up was you could almost slot anything into the slot between the anchor shows like cheers, seinfeld, fraser and it would work.  There was the show Wings, with Tony Shalhoub and Crystal Bernard, that worked for a while, and of course Mad About You. 

Offline imref

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #337: December 06, 2022, 05:08:26 PM »
Boxing referee Mills Lane at 85. Among many other fights, he refereed the Bite Fight.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #338: December 08, 2022, 01:03:31 PM »
Jet Black, age 84.  I didn't know that he had been a jazz drummer before The Stranglers:

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-63904248

Offline English Natsie

• It's baseball, Jim, but not as we know it...
« Reply #339: December 08, 2022, 05:05:21 PM »
Sad news. Ironic to be reminded about Nice - they'd tried it out before, at a concert I attended. The band were 45 minutes late onstage, and only played a 20 minute set before everyone, but JJB, walked off - he then regaled the audience with a tirade of abuse. What might be regarded as a riot then ensued, as the irate punters sought out the band, who now found themselves trapped in the venue... :lol:  All other Stranglers concerts I saw were great - the original line-up was an excellent live band.. ;)

Offline English Natsie

« Reply #340: December 08, 2022, 05:44:55 PM »
To mark Jet's passing...  :(

Offline imref

« Reply #341: December 08, 2022, 05:52:55 PM »
42 freaking years already. :(

Offline English Natsie

« Reply #342: December 09, 2022, 05:58:34 AM »
'Happiness Is A Warm Gun...'   ;)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #343: December 09, 2022, 07:49:48 AM »
'Happiness Is A Warm Gun...'   ;)
:smh:

I remember exactly what I was doing and where I was when I found out Lennon was shot.  I was watching Monday Night Football, Patriots at the Dolphins, in a friend's dormroom (he had the portable black and white TV, so we watched SNL, MNF, and the new show, Hill Street Blues, there).  At that point, the Patriots had lost every game in Miami since the Dolphins's first season. The Patriots had an English place kicker, John Smith, who was very good.  He was lining up to kick the game winning field goal near the end of regulation, and Howard Cosell breaks in and says something like, "sometimes real life events must break into the sports.  Tonight, returning to his home in New York, John Lennon, ..." was shot and killed. Smith missed the field goal.  I always thought Cosell jinxed him. The Pats didn't break the losing streak until the playoff run to their first Super Bowl appearance (wild card that one 3 games on the road before losing to the Bears).

Offline English Natsie

« Reply #344: December 09, 2022, 09:22:53 AM »

Offline imref

« Reply #345: December 09, 2022, 10:26:39 AM »
:smh:

I remember exactly what I was doing and where I was when I found out Lennon was shot.  I was watching Monday Night Football, Patriots at the Dolphins, in a friend's dormroom (he had the portable black and white TV, so we watched SNL, MNF, and the new show, Hill Street Blues, there).  At that point, the Patriots had lost every game in Miami since the Dolphins's first season. The Patriots had an English place kicker, John Smith, who was very good.  He was lining up to kick the game winning field goal near the end of regulation, and Howard Cosell breaks in and says something like, "sometimes real life events must break into the sports.  Tonight, returning to his home in New York, John Lennon, ..." was shot and killed. Smith missed the field goal.  I always thought Cosell jinxed him. The Pats didn't break the losing streak until the playoff run to their first Super Bowl appearance (wild card that one 3 games on the road before losing to the Bears).

I was 12 when he died, but I still remember hearing it on the news, and sitting with my parents the next evening listening to Beatles songs on the radio as that was all most of the stations were playing in tribute. I just started getting into the Beatles at that point and I spent the next few years using whatever money I was earning to buy Beatles records. I still have an Apple Records labeled red 'greatest hits' album.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #346: December 12, 2022, 07:06:24 PM »
I didn't post this right away, but Paul Silas's passing should be noted.

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-celtics/2022/12/11/paul-silas-dies-at-79-won-two-championships-with-celtics/

I loved those Celtics teams.  Don Nelson would start and Silas would come off the bench.  Havlicek was the other forward (I think it was after Steve Kuberski), Dave Cowens the center, and JoJo White was the point guard.  Don Chaney was the starting guard on the 1974 team, with Paul Westphal off the bench, the Chaney left and the Celts traded Westphal for Charlie Scott.

It was funny to listen to the Celtics announcer, Johnny Most, call Silas games.  Before he was with the Celtics, Silas was the dirtiest player in the league.  When he was with the Celts, he was the victim of some of the most outrageous calls.  I don't think he was more than 6' 6", but was a great #4.

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #347: December 12, 2022, 08:01:13 PM »
I didn't post this right away, but Paul Silas's passing should be noted.

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-celtics/2022/12/11/paul-silas-dies-at-79-won-two-championships-with-celtics/

I loved those Celtics teams.  Don Nelson would start and Silas would come off the bench.  Havlicek was the other forward (I think it was after Steve Kuberski), Dave Cowens the center, and JoJo White was the point guard.  Don Chaney was the starting guard on the 1974 team, with Paul Westphal off the bench, the Chaney left and the Celts traded Westphal for Charlie Scott.

It was funny to listen to the Celtics announcer, Johnny Most, call Silas games.  Before he was with the Celtics, Silas was the dirtiest player in the league.  When he was with the Celts, he was the victim of some of the most outrageous calls.  I don't think he was more than 6' 6", but was a great #4.

Need to watch some of the finals with the Suns

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #348: December 12, 2022, 08:03:36 PM »
Need to watch some of the finals with the Suns
triple overtime

Offline Five Banners