Author Topic: Nationals Prospect Reports / Minor League Rankings: 2024  (Read 3641 times)

Offline nobleisthyname

At the bottom it says updated March 4, 2024 6:23 am. I don't understand the rankings though.

So far for 2024 Fangraphs has updated their top 100 prospects as well as full team farm evaluations for six teams, so they do have some stuff that will be updated, but the majority of the list will not have been updated yet as the remaining 24 teams are still based on last year's final update.

As for how the rankings work, it's based on theoretical cash "value" where each prospect in a team's system has a cash value based on their future value (FV) grade. The table lists it all out but for example 70 FV position player prospect is worth $112M while a 40 FV position player prospect is only worth $2M.

Offline Senatorswin

So far for 2024 Fangraphs has updated their top 100 prospects as well as full team farm evaluations for six teams, so they do have some stuff that will be updated, but the majority of the list will not have been updated yet as the remaining 24 teams are still based on last year's final update.

As for how the rankings work, it's based on theoretical cash "value" where each prospect in a team's system has a cash value based on their future value (FV) grade. The table lists it all out but for example 70 FV position player prospect is worth $112M while a 40 FV position player prospect is only worth $2M.

Thanks.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Fg still love Wood and Crews. Both top 10, I think

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
Fg still love Wood and Crews. Both top 10, I think

#6 & #9 respectively, and both projected to arrive in 2025.  Langford is #2 and projected to arrive in 2024.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
#6 & #9 respectively, and both projected to arrive in 2025.  Langford is #2 and projected to arrive in 2024.

I'm ok with that timing.

Offline Mattionals

From what we've seen so far from Crews, 2025 is valid. He might be a callup in September, but since that isn't a big deal anymore, 2025 is fine.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
If Crews needs until 2025 to "be ready" then thats a huge red flag.

Online Natsinpwc

Those projections are generally useless.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Yep.

Offline IanRubbish

Yes, their 2019 list had Victor Robles at 5, Keibert Ruiz at 15, Carter Kieboom at 18. 

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Yes, their 2019 list had Victor Robles at 5, Keibert Ruiz at 15, Carter Kieboom at 18. 
then we must be loaded

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball

Fangraphs had Robles as a 65 FV, saying "He lacks big raw power, but Robles has every other tool and they all play up because he has terrific feel and instincts. He should be a great defensive center fielder and baserunner who makes lots of quality gap-to-gap contact".

https://www.fangraphs.com/players/victor-robles/18363/stats?position=OF

Here was their 2019 ranking, which had Robles as "low risk", right up there with Fernando Tatis, two spots about the great Nick Senzel and far about a couple of chumps named Austin Riley, at 33, and Pete Alonso, at 48.

Online Slateman

Senzel was a top 10 prospect too

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
If Crews needs until 2025 to "be ready" then thats a huge red flag.
I wouldn't care if he isn't called up until he can play to the end of the year without losing rookie status. It might be a little slow walking, but I want to see him get most of a year in the minors and be over-ripe rather than a bit raw and learning in the majors on a team going nowhere.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
Senzel was a top 10 prospect too

Senzel was Number 7 in 2019, two places behind Robles.

Offline imref

Todd Boss' top 60:

http://www.nationalsarmrace.com/?p=18374

Top 10:
Crews
Wood
House
Cavalli
Morales
Hassell
Lile
Green
Vaquero
Herz

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
just bumping so thread not lost

Offline imref

BBA has updated their top 100.

Dylan Crews #6 (was 6)
James Wood #8 (was 11)
Brady House #57 (was 55)

Cavalli and Morales got votes but didn't make the top-100

Online GataNats

House is way too low.

Offline imref

Baseball America names both Crews and Wood to the list of 70 prospects that impressed Scouts during ST this year. Behind a paywall unfortunately:

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/70-prospects-who-impressed-scouts-on-the-backfields/

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Crews is interesting because the raw numbers like hits and avg weren't impressive. I don't recall whether he was making contact and it was just luck, or whether he was a K machine.

Online Slateman

Crews is interesting because the raw numbers like hits and avg weren't impressive. I don't recall whether he was making contact and it was just luck, or whether he was a K machine.
Just name recognition. Dude is overmatched. Will take him 2-3 more years

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
that's a funny way of spelling "4+ months."

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness

Word...

Offline imref

Well, it's tough to say given how few games are televised. I do recall one game in which he had a few hard hit balls that were either right to fielders, or were a few inches to a foot from being an XBH.

I'm not at all worried about Crews.