Author Topic: The Orioles (2023)  (Read 4621 times)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: The Orioles (2023)
« Reply #150: December 07, 2023, 07:24:53 PM »
Maybe but Janes article didn't say that and how don't see how they could go through that again since all those issues have been decided, including the committees right to decide.
I would think Angelos will tie the award u litigation if he can.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #151: December 07, 2023, 07:33:31 PM »
I would think Angelos will tie the award u litigation if he can.

I wouldn't put anything past an Angelos but originally wasn't it the old man who started all that mess. The main point of contention was the Orioles said the committee that decided it was biased and should be thrown out. I believe all that has been decided and the fact MASN finally gave in for the years 2011 to 2016 would indicate they've accepted the process now.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #152: December 07, 2023, 08:16:52 PM »
Certain legal issues are settled and the Os would be barred from raising them again, so it should be a simpler case. It doesn't mean all issues are decided for all the length of the relationship

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #153: December 07, 2023, 08:20:06 PM »
The big issue is still the TV rights. Nats have a the penalties of a top 10 media market, but are sharing the revenue with another team

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #154: December 07, 2023, 08:34:33 PM »
Maybe but Janes article didn't say that and how don't see how they could go through that again since all those issues have been decided, including the committees right to decide.
Well it’s almost 2024 and the Nats don’t have the money yet.  Show me the money. 

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #155: December 07, 2023, 08:34:57 PM »
The big issue is still the TV rights. Nats have a the penalties of a top 10 media market, but are sharing the revenue with another team

Yeah, I was wondering about that with the draft situation. It was said the Nats couldn't pick number 1 this year because they pay into the revenue share system. What determines why they pay into the system? Is it attendance, TV revenue, area population or a combo meal?

Offline blue911

« Reply #156: December 08, 2023, 06:48:55 AM »

This is my understanding as well. At this point the Orioles/MASN may want to sell back the Nats broadcast rights.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #157: December 08, 2023, 07:41:13 AM »
I suppose that the authority of the arbitrators is settled by the earlier decision, and arbitration arrangements usually limit the ability to challenge the decision. That said, I'm going to guess they may have some non-frivolous things that a lawyer can throw at the decision and appeal. As long as it can't be dismissed summarily, there's some delays coming. Probably not 8 years, but a year wouldn't surprise me.

Offline nobleisthyname

« Reply #158: December 08, 2023, 08:27:39 AM »
Yeah, I was wondering about that with the draft situation. It was said the Nats couldn't pick number 1 this year because they pay into the revenue share system. What determines why they pay into the system? Is it attendance, TV revenue, area population or a combo meal?

I asked this on the baseball subreddit and finally got an answer that sorta kinda makes sense:

Basically, the way the Revenue Sharing works (at least my understanding in reading the CBA) is that all 30 teams pay in an amount based on a weighted average of their local (meaning excluding MLB payouts from things like National TV contracts, but includes your local tv contract) revenue for the last three seasons. Those values for all 30 teams is then combined into one pool. That is then divided evenly by 30, and each team gets that new number. The difference between what a team paid in and what they got back is their net payment. Teams that pay more than they get back are "Revenue Sharing Payor Clubs" and teams that pay less than what they get back are "Revenue Sharing Payee Clubs."

The Nationals' local revenue evidently results in them paying in more than 1/30th of the total local averages for all 30 clubs. Thus, they are a Payor Club. It's based purely on the revenue the team generates.

Edit: This definition makes it sound like it's not a static determination but rather one that is recalculated every season. I wonder how that would work if a team was on the bubble between being a payor vs payee club and how that would affect the draft lottery. So, definitely still confusing.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #159: December 08, 2023, 09:44:40 AM »
I asked this on the baseball subreddit and finally got an answer that sorta kinda makes sense:

Edit: This definition makes it sound like it's not a static determination but rather one that is recalculated every season. I wonder how that would work if a team was on the bubble between being a payor vs payee club and how that would affect the draft lottery. So, definitely still confusing.
I'll be curious about how they calculate the Nats payment on their TV revenue. Were they getting money at all during the dispute over MASN?  Even if they were getting the portion of the payments that MASN/Os don't dispute, were the Nats being deemed to have received the money in dispute and paying that? If the Nats were paying on the disputed money, were the Os as well (the deal provides that the Os get the same rights fee out of MASN as the Nats)? Are the Os payers as well?

Offline nobleisthyname

« Reply #160: December 08, 2023, 09:50:00 AM »
I'll be curious about how they calculate the Nats payment on their TV revenue. Were they getting money at all during the dispute over MASN?  Even if they were getting the portion of the payments that MASN/Os don't dispute, were the Nats being deemed to have received the money in dispute and paying that? If the Nats were paying on the disputed money, were the Os as well (the deal provides that the Os get the same rights fee out of MASN as the Nats)? Are the Os payers as well?

There should definitely be an annual list or something that gets published whenever the calculation is determined. It's silly to not know now that it's tied into draft positioning.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #161: December 08, 2023, 07:29:08 PM »
The Angelos family says they are not selling majority interest in the team but the lease deal has hit a roadblock

https://www.thebaltimorebanner.com/politics-power/state-government/orioles-lease-deal-camden-yards-B7QHEQP47VGUDASBSHCMHRQL7A/

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #162: December 08, 2023, 08:40:26 PM »
The Angelos family says they are not selling majority interest in the team but the lease deal has hit a roadblock

https://www.thebaltimorebanner.com/politics-power/state-government/orioles-lease-deal-camden-yards-B7QHEQP47VGUDASBSHCMHRQL7A/

As a Maryland taxpayer, thank you Mr. Ferguson. Why would Maryland give Angelos land around a stadium the state paid for:

“Fundamentally, I believe that the long-term lease for the use of the ballpark should not be conditioned on whether or not a private owner receives a 99-year ground lease to develop land owned by Maryland taxpayers,” Ferguson, a Democrat whose district includes the ballpark, told The Baltimore Banner. “

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #164: December 17, 2023, 11:26:49 PM »
Now that Snyder's gone the Angelos family has to be the owner the most people want to see sell. Oriole fans want to see him gone too. Get rid of the Angelos family and MASN and I wouldn't mind the Orioles half as much as I do now.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #165: December 18, 2023, 05:10:22 PM »
https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/12/orioles-maryland-approve-new-lease-agreement.html

Though the club announced they are staying at Camden for 30 years, they are currently only committed for 15, with Pamela Wood of the Baltimore Banner and Rich Dubroff of Baltimore Baseball relaying some of the details. If the club and the state can agree to a development plan for the surrounding area in the next four years, then the lease can be expanded from 15 to 30 years.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #166: December 18, 2023, 05:59:57 PM »
I'm glad the state didn't give Angelos the taxpayer land .... yet.