Author Topic: Washington Commanders - get used to it (2023)  (Read 9556 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
:hysterical:

does this mean that pro-Snyder forces will wage a year's long insurgent campaign to drive out Harris?

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Snyder's forces are limited to flatulence, bad breath, and a disturbing body odor.

:hysterical:

does this mean that pro-Snyder forces will wage a year's long insurgent campaign to drive out Harris?

Offline machpost

Snyder's forces are limited to flatulence, bad breath, and a disturbing body odor.

Now, now, that's no way to talk about his wife  :lol:

Offline Count Walewski

Compared to local ownership, he’s Joe Lacob.

Literally all he has to do to be a huge improvement is to shut up, hire a decently smart football guy to run the team, and go focus on managing other parts of his empire.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
How has this guy's stewardship of the 76ers and the Devils been so far? I mean, most NFL owners are horrible people, but some are worse than others.

Both the 76ers and Devils have been going through a bit of a resurgence, although playoff success has eluded them so far.

Still, great news.  Our long, national nightmare is over.

Count me among the folks in the "I might just be interested in this team once again" camp.

Literally all he has to do to be a huge improvement is to shut up, hire a decently smart football guy to run the team, and go focus on managing other parts of his empire.

Yep.  Basically take after Steve Bisciotti up in Bmore.  They're in the "multiple championships in the 21st century" club for good reason.

Offline imref

Dov Klieman (nfl reporter)

Update: The sale of the #Commanders to Josh Harris for $6.05B might not be finalized as previously reported.

A $7 billion cash offer by DC native Brian Davis was made to buy the team which would make him the NFL's first black owner, per @DarrenMHaynes

Offline GburgNatsFan

Read a little about this guy. He sounds smart and savvy. Although offering $7B counters that assessment.  :D
Dov Klieman (nfl reporter)

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
The Athletic reports that the Harris group has agreed to indemnify Snyder against any of the suits that have been filed against Snyder's activity that made the Redskins a sexual toxic waste dump.

The Josh Harris-led group seeking to buy the Washington Commanders forwarded a proposed $6.05 billion purchase of the team to the NFL that includes language to partly indemnify outgoing owner Dan Snyder for future litigation stemming from the many pending investigations into his tenure, according to a person close to Harris.
The provision would partially protect Snyder from legal liability based on the outcomes of the probes.

Sportico first reported the bid had been forwarded to the NFL. The move is quite unusual as sales agreements typically only get sent to the league by the selling team once an agreement is signed.

The person close to Harris said there are some issues that need approval from the league, like indemnification, before the contract can be signed and that is why it was forwarded to the NFL.

The indemnification provision would be between Harris and Snyder, not the league. Snyder has been seeking that cover from both the buyer and the league.
Why the Harris group needs the league’s approval is unclear, but it’s been widely reported Snyder has not been communicating with the league.
The developments emerge as the league awaits the Mary Jo White report on investigations into whether Snyder harassed a female employee, and if the team hid revenue from the other 31 clubs.

https://theathletic.com/4422720/2023/04/17/nfl-commanders-sale-agreement-indemnity-dan-snyder/

Offline Count Walewski

They can't indemnify him against jail time for bank fraud.

Offline imref

So...about that Brian Davis counter-offer.....

Before delving into that, consider what Davis had to say regarding reports that his financial backing traces to Saudi Arabia: “My money comes from white people . . . who are Jewish, Italian, and Sicilian.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/04/19/brian-davis-interview-on-106-7-the-fan-does-little-to-legitimize-his-bid-for-the-commanders/

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Commies bringing in a Yale d lineman, Adam Raine, to the rookie mini-camp.  English kid. listed as 6' 4" 306 lbs in Yale's media guide.

Offline imref

Commies bringing in a Yale d lineman, Adam Raine, to the rookie mini-camp.  English kid. listed as 6' 4" 306 lbs in Yale's media guide.

any relation to Aldo?

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
any relation to Aldo?
I had to check the name to make sure I didn't post Aldo

Offline imref

I had to check the name to make sure I didn't post Aldo

:hysterical:  At that size, he's the "Bear Eli" though.

Offline imref

Online Five Banners

Another effort to build at the old RFK site:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/05/04/commanders-lobbying-rfk-bowser-mendelson/

Yet another article concerning the RFK site conveniently failing to highlight all of the environmental remediation issues that were used by council members to say the site was a no-go for a ballpark, even though the RFK site was the most sensible place logistically rather than in an area that other city officials indicated would eventually be redevelop/gentrified anyway with the arrival of the DOT headquarters and the continued Navy Yard development.

And isn’t it ironic to hear the paper talk about the city’s uncertainty and its financial future because of a “dormant downtown“ and attributing that to the pandemic rather than giving proper credit to the rampant crime that is also affecting this ballpark that is adjacent to “downtown“. The evident water carrying gets old, especially when it appears to be at the behest of officials that seem to keep shooting themselves in the foot as far as overall planning and basic governance and competence.

Online HalfSmokes

It seems like the council still doesn't want it, the mayor is the cheerleader for this waste of money.

Online Natsinpwc

I don’t have access to the Post article but who would pay?  Seems the hockey/basketball arena was a success with Pollin paying for it. And Nats Park has been at the forefront of redevelopment of the Navy Yard area.  Probably has not helped the poor people in the area but seems overall beneficial to the city even with the City footing the bill. Doesn’t look like any suburban area wants a stadium either.

Offline imref

Offline GburgNatsFan

If there put it somewhere with a Silver Line stop, it'd probably be faster for me to get there from Gaithersburg on Metro than it would be to drive to FedEx on game day. And I could sober up on the hour+ metro ride home. Last time I went to FedEx it took me more than two hours to drive home. 45 minutes of it just getting out of the satellite parking.

https://www.wusa9.com/article/news/investigations/commanders-stadium/virginia-commanders-stadium-report/65-d18685fe-1852-439a-8f78-d9b64de9b871

Virginia is offering the best deal per documents related to the Harris purchase.

Online HalfSmokes

I would assume that any large plot walkable to metro is worth than Harris would like to pay. To the extent anything is undeveloped, it’s because the owners are sitting on it, not because it’s blighted

Offline machpost

If there put it somewhere with a Silver Line stop, it'd probably be faster for me to get there from Gaithersburg on Metro than it would be to drive to FedEx on game day. And I could sober up on the hour+ metro ride home. Last time I went to FedEx it took me more than two hours to drive home. 45 minutes of it just getting out of the satellite parking.

I figure you could "tailgate" on the train while you're headed out to the game, as they seem to be doing very little enforcement these days. Maybe Metro could even get in on the action and convert a few Silver Line cars to bar cars.

Online Five Banners

I figure you could "tailgate" on the train while you're headed out to the game, as they seem to be doing very little enforcement these days. Maybe Metro could even get in on the action and convert a few Silver Line cars to bar cars.

Fire up the grill