Author Topic: The Turner Call (very bad!)  (Read 4220 times)

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
Re: The Turner Call (very bad!)
« Reply #250: October 30, 2019, 04:27:55 PM »
I love how you quote the opinion portion and not the facts.  :lmao:

Those plays happened and they weren't called interference. If those aren't facts, what are they?

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #251: October 30, 2019, 04:33:37 PM »
:shrug: are you saying interference was called Fryman or Mondesi? Seems like prior non-calls are facts

Those plays happened and they weren't called interference. If those aren't facts, what are they?

If last night’s call is correct, are the calls on Fryman and Mondesi invalid absent some other rule change or clarification? The inconsistent application of unclear rules should never be the focal point of any game, let alone Game 6 of the World Series. Rendon saved the Nats and the sport last night, but that won’t always be the case.

:shrug:

And NJ Ave cited a source where the call was made.

Offline Blarnson

« Reply #252: October 30, 2019, 04:42:40 PM »
That sounds nice, but the league doesn’t play by the rule, it’s a common enough play that is never called interference

It is called - but it's very very rare that the call has to be made - if the runners position out of the running lane doesn't affect the throw or catch of the throw, interference is ignored.  You don't call RLI simply because the runner is running out of the lane

Because of the geometry, the throw has to be coming from the vicinity of home plate.

Additionally, interference is a judgement call 99% of the time (the exception being if a runner is hit by a batted ball in fair territory, including while standing on a base).  Just like a ball, strike, or half swing (the only true judgement call that can be appealed)- it's a judgement call and is up to the umpire as to whether or not the batter runner or runner impeded the defense's ability to make a play - intentional or not.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #253: October 30, 2019, 05:03:56 PM »
https://twitter.com/bnightengale/status/1189646103982903297?s=21

Astros Manager AJ Hinch says he sides with Trea Turner believing he did not interfere with the errant throw from Brad Peacock.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #254: October 30, 2019, 05:03:58 PM »
It is called - but it's very very rare that the call has to be made - if the runners position out of the running lane doesn't affect the throw or catch of the throw, interference is ignored.  You don't call RLI simply because the runner is running out of the lane

Because of the geometry, the throw has to be coming from the vicinity of home plate.

Additionally, interference is a judgement call 99% of the time (the exception being if a runner is hit by a batted ball in fair territory, including while standing on a base).  Just like a ball, strike, or half swing (the only true judgement call that can be appealed)- it's a judgement call and is up to the umpire as to whether or not the batter runner or runner impeded the defense's ability to make a play - intentional or not.
[/quote
Appreciate you input as an umpire. I think the main point for most of us is that we have seen cases where it’s not called even when more egregious. Carry on.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #255: October 30, 2019, 05:08:37 PM »

That's what a lot of people are struggling with in terms of the rectitude here.  This ball wasn't really anywhere near home plate.   When Peacock fields the ball, he's in line with the end of the World Series logo on the 3B side,  at least 15 feet from home plate.  You're giving the fielder the benefit of making a terrible throw, because a good throw maybe doesn't get an out on this play - and certainly doesn't send the runner back to first. 

I pitched a lot and played a lot of 3B, so I've fielded a fair number bunts in that location or close to it.  I can't recall a runner being a factor in a play even though everyone runs outside the line.  They're just not anywhere near your line of sight when making the throw, so it only matters when the collision actually happens.  And by that point, Turner is so close to the bag that he's exactly where he'd be whether he'd been in the lines the whole way or not.   What I'm getting at is I can't really see how a reasonable person would think him being out of the line affected the play. 

I understand that may not play into the decision based on the actual text of the rule, but it's a really rough application: Turner's being out of the baseline on the way down the line shouldn't be affecting a throw from that far up the 3B line, and if he'd run in foul territory the whole way he'd still have had to come fair in the location the ball hit him as he hit Gurriel.   I just can't see how any application of judgment ignores that. 

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #256: October 30, 2019, 05:15:42 PM »
I hope there is another controversial call tonight so we have something to discuss tomorrow.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #257: October 30, 2019, 05:22:45 PM »
I hope there is another controversial call tonight so we have something to discuss tomorrow.

It's hard to keep up.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #258: October 30, 2019, 05:25:18 PM »
It's hard to keep up.
Basically just the same stuff over and over again! 

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #259: October 30, 2019, 06:14:46 PM »
Ball Don’t Lie

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #260: October 30, 2019, 06:26:57 PM »

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #261: October 30, 2019, 06:29:40 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

This is a weird look from someone who is ostensibly a Nats fan.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #262: October 30, 2019, 06:31:45 PM »

Minty be like, he made the best application of a rule.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #263: October 30, 2019, 06:34:17 PM »
the umpire couldn't even see what happened (just like last night)

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #264: October 30, 2019, 06:34:23 PM »
This is a weird look from someone who is ostensibly a Nats fan.

Wow.

Lighten up Frances. That’s objectively hysterical.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #265: October 30, 2019, 06:39:03 PM »
Wow.

Lighten up Frances. That’s objectively hysterical.

Humor is inherently subjective.  And the fact that you find a crappy photoshop involving the Real Housewives and a cat "hysterical" is rather illuminatory.  Like, I'm not gonna lie, I gave it a little smile, but maaaaan. 

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #266: October 30, 2019, 06:39:55 PM »
Yea, it's actually pretty funny. Imma steal it for the Nats discord

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #267: October 30, 2019, 06:41:06 PM »
Humor is inherently subjective.  And the fact that you find a crappy photoshop involving the Real Housewives and a cat "hysterical" is rather illuminatory.

Sounds like someone is butthurt. 

Maybe we should start a hashtag....  #TreaWasHosed #TreaToo

:lmao:

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #268: October 30, 2019, 07:41:26 PM »
I think it's funny because it looks like whoever is holding Dave-ina back is part of the audit team.