Author Topic: The Garage  (Read 67665 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: The Garage
« Reply #1175: August 01, 2023, 06:58:10 PM »
Main issue around EV's appears to be infrastructure, rather than the vehicles themselves. I assume DC is well served for public chargers, but out in the wider world?  Even where there are chargers, they might not be working - so the three hour wait while 30 EV's queue to use the same charging point. Definitely worth splashing-out on the best quality / performing home charging point you can afford - ideally 7kw minimum (although think carefully about going to 22kw - will require a three phase supply, and not all vehicles will accept that level of charge from a home charger. If you can use it, then that's 40 miles of charge in an hour). Check if your chosen charger requires a physical earth rod - if yes, then that's more expense.

it really depends. I was in upstate NY a few weeks ago and charging stations are everywhere. In CA they are everywhere. Even in FL I saw them everywhere.

Rural Arkansas...maybe not so much. Still, every EV out there will help you plot out a route if you are making a road trip so that you don't run out of juice.

But most folks don't drive 200 miles in a day and are fine with charging to 80% every night when the car is parked in the driveway or garage.

A much bigger issue limiting EV adoption is that charging options aren't widely available at apartment buildings.

Online blue911

« Reply #1176: August 01, 2023, 07:02:51 PM »
it really depends. I was in upstate NY a few weeks ago and charging stations are everywhere. In CA they are everywhere. Even in FL I saw them everywhere.

Rural Arkansas...maybe not so much. Still, every EV out there will help you plot out a route if you are making a road trip so that you don't run out of juice.

But most folks don't drive 200 miles in a day and are fine with charging to 80% every night when the car is parked in the driveway or garage.

A much bigger issue limiting EV adoption is that charging options aren't widely available at apartment buildings.

They need to make a smaller, lighter and shorter range vehicle.

Offline imref

« Reply #1177: August 01, 2023, 07:07:53 PM »
They need to make a smaller, lighter and shorter range vehicle.

Those already exist: Chevy Bolt, Nissan Leaf, BMW i4 for example

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #1178: August 01, 2023, 08:02:03 PM »
I just can't pull the trigger on an EV yet. I don't drive much, but when I do, it's long distance around holidays.  I get that normally, you can plan out where you charge, but I can't imagine dealing with charging on the New Jersey Turnpike around thanksgiving or Christmas when I'd be there. Also, my condo building doesn't have chargers, although I may take it up with the board. For me, a hybrid would make sense.  Locally, I bike or metro.

Online blue911

« Reply #1179: August 02, 2023, 05:18:20 AM »
Those already exist: Chevy Bolt, Nissan Leaf, BMW i4 for example

All are too heavy. I’m talking Smart car size.

Online blue911

« Reply #1180: August 02, 2023, 05:29:39 AM »
I just can't pull the trigger on an EV yet. I don't drive much, but when I do, it's long distance around holidays.  I get that normally, you can plan out where you charge, but I can't imagine dealing with charging on the New Jersey Turnpike around thanksgiving or Christmas when I'd be there. Also, my condo building doesn't have chargers, although I may take it up with the board. For me, a hybrid would make sense.  Locally, I bike or metro.

For your needs a hydrogen vehicle would be far superior.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #1181: August 02, 2023, 09:34:55 AM »
For your needs a hydrogen vehicle would be far superior.
I don't think you will see hydrogen sedans in the US. It'll work for trucks and buses. I just don't building out a 3rd parallel infrastructure when we are having troubles with a second standard one for chargers.

BTW - I think it is interesting that much of the market is moving to the Tesla-compatible superchargers. The rest of the industry had agreed on a standard, but that just wasn't getting built out quick enough and I think there were reliability issues.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #1182: August 02, 2023, 01:31:43 PM »

You picked two of the three holidays that I'd use my gas car for.  There are Tesla chargers spaced about every 50 miles on 95 - which is what makes Tesla the best option for an EV if you do a lot of road running. Thanksgiving, Christmas, 4th of July, we'd take the hybrid. Otherwise, the Tesla is a no-brainer (and a fun car).

We traded in a CCS charger car for Tesla. The SuperCharger network is incredible.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #1183: August 02, 2023, 01:37:11 PM »
So Audi is buying back my Q5 because it’s a lemon. So I’m in the market for a new car. I think I want an EV. Recommendations?

Having owned more than one EV, Tesla is the only option if you're over the road a lot. CCS charging is awful.

Our previous EV was just a runaround car, so we charged at home all the time. It was fine. But my wife wouldn't consider taking it on a road trip after we ran into two broken CCS chargers on a short road trip.

The Super Charger network is... amazing.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #1184: August 02, 2023, 01:56:19 PM »
I’m not in the market for one but was curious about the latest on how much better it would be environmentally.  This article has some good information.

https://vitalsigns.edf.org/story/yes-electric-vehicles-are-better-environment-and-answers-more-questions-about-evs#:~:text=Concerns%20about%20mining%20the%20minerals,than%20a%20gas%2Dpowered%20car.

Offline imref

« Reply #1185: August 02, 2023, 03:00:07 PM »
yeah, if you were to buy an EV and a ICE car and put it in your garage, the EV would actually do more environmental damage because of the need to mine elements. But once you start driving, the math shifts drastically toward EVs.

To me, the big reason to buy an EV is the lack of maintenance. They don't require oil/fluid/filter changes, spark plugs, timing belts, and so on. With regenerative braking, the only typical maintenance items are tires and wiper blades.

Here's another on my radar:
https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2023-fisker-ocean-extreme-electric-suv-first-drive-review/

Only problem is that it's about a year wait for one.

Offline imref

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #1187: August 04, 2023, 10:14:44 AM »
https://www.cnn.com/2023/07/27/business/affordable-electric-vehicles/index.html

The bolt is still 20k for a stripped down compact sedan, the others that they list are competing with either high trim Japanese ice or low trim luxury.

Offline imref

« Reply #1188: August 04, 2023, 11:53:07 AM »
The bolt is still 20k for a stripped down compact sedan, the others that they list are competing with either high trim Japanese ice or low trim luxury.

A friend of mine has a Bolt EUV and loves it. I rode in the backseat a few times and was surprised by the room. He uses it as his daily driver, and uses his Ford F-150 Lightning when he makes road trips. I see the Bolt as kind of the electric version of the Prius, boring but it will meet 99% of most driver needs at minimal cost.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #1189: August 04, 2023, 12:40:29 PM »
I'm thinking of renting a car in Riga later this month...the countries are so small I figure that if it runs out of juice out on the road somewhere I can push it back to town  :D

Having never driven an EV I'm quite interested in checking one out as my next personal car is almost certain to be one. 

Online blue911

« Reply #1190: August 04, 2023, 02:39:48 PM »
I want an EV Kei truck.

Offline imref

« Reply #1191: August 04, 2023, 04:23:13 PM »
I'm thinking of renting a car in Riga later this month...the countries are so small I figure that if it runs out of juice out on the road somewhere I can push it back to town  :D

Having never driven an EV I'm quite interested in checking one out as my next personal car is almost certain to be one. 

Some Avis and Hertz locations have Tesla Model 3s but last time I checked they are about $50 a day more than a standard rental, so not worth it in terms of fuel savings unless you drive a lot.

Offline imref

« Reply #1192: August 04, 2023, 05:14:07 PM »
Fisker just introduced their pickup called "Alaska". Starting price is $45,400. It features an expanding bed that goes from 4.5 to 7.5 feet, and you can drop the wall between the back of the truck and the bed. Range is up to 340 miles. Deliveries in 2025.

They also unveiled some additional models including a super car and a sub-$30k model called Pear

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a44718142/fisker-ronin-pear-alaska-revealed/

Offline GburgNatsFan

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #1194: August 04, 2023, 05:24:01 PM »

Come up to Gaithersburg some time. You can drive the Tesla for a bit.

Offline English Natsie

• It's baseball, Jim, but not as we know it...
« Reply #1195: August 04, 2023, 06:16:04 PM »

Just remember that it's full power available from switch-on - so gentle with the right foot, and be ready for some 'electrifying' performance... (traffic lights grand prix, anyone?... ;) )

Online blue911

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #1197: August 05, 2023, 08:15:28 AM »
It'd be a risk for Nissan, but it would be a great city car. Like a car share car or something.

This is perfect

Online blue911

« Reply #1198: August 05, 2023, 09:40:39 AM »
It'd be a risk for Nissan, but it would be a great city car. Like a car share car or something.

Inexpensive commuter/run errands second car. I don’t want to pay for 300 mile range or  bat outta hell acceleration. This fits.

Online tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #1199: August 09, 2023, 04:07:54 PM »
Hit a new PB two weeks back, 200,000 miles on the 2008 Honda Pilot.   :cheers: