Author Topic: 2021-2022 Offseason Discussion/Signings/Trades/Rumors  (Read 39017 times)

Offline Natsinpwc

Without the bigger signings that involve Lerner Senior, welcome to the world of Lerner the Younger
You’ve got your title. Savor it.

Online Five Banners

You’ve got your title. Savor it.

Doing that up big time. Fully factoring in that it could be another 95 years before things get interesting

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Doing that up big time. Fully factoring in that it could be another 95 years before things get interesting
I hear there's a guy who will be born 70 years from in a country that currently doesn't play baseball that 8 year olds now will be saying reminds them of Juan Soto.

Offline madj55

Darnell Coles hiring official.

Seemed to help a lot of guys in Milwaukee and Arizona have career years. Looks like when he resigned in 2018 from Milwaukee he was heading to greener pastures in Arizona but it just didn’t work out past 2019.

Offline Mattionals

Darnell Coles hiring official.

Seemed to help a lot of guys in Milwaukee and Arizona have career years. Looks like when he resigned in 2018 from Milwaukee he was heading to greener pastures in Arizona but it just didn’t work out past 2019.

I just hope he makes a connection with the players. Arizona didn't have a lot of promising hitters, but what really did them in was the pitching.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
https://www.masnsports.com/nationals-pastime/2021/10/coles-mantra-for-nats-hitters-dominate-the-strike-zone.html

says his focus is on being more selective in the strike zone and in hitting with runners on base. Won't touch Soto's swing, and wants to talk Ryan Zimmerman into coming back.

Offline Natsinpwc

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Listing by tiers of starting pitchers available.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/10/mlb-free-agent-preview-starting-pitchers.html
I'd target the rebound hopefuls (Heaney, Lorenzen, maybe Archer figuring we'll hit on one of the TOS guys), and maybe Rich Hill or another older vet who actually is performing rather than rebounding.  Nervous about Alex Wood on any longer contract. 

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
I'd target the rebound hopefuls (Heaney, Lorenzen, maybe Archer figuring we'll hit on one of the TOS guys), and maybe Rich Hill or another older vet who actually is performing rather than rebounding.  Nervous about Alex Wood on any longer contract. 
More than likely. Could add Matz or Bundy to that list.

Ideally, Eduardo Rodriguez doesnt get a QO. He's young enough that he would be a solid number 2 in this rotation in two to three years

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
Hitting coaches are hired to be fired during cold streaks.

Offline hotshot

I can't believe Bundy is in any conversation here. Flat out can't pitch (and this has been the case for awhile now).

Offline Slateman

I can't believe Bundy is in any conversation here. Flat out can't pitch (and this has been the case for awhile now).
Except he did one season. And the majority of his seasons he's a decent 4/5.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

He literally got Cy Young votes one year ago.

Yeah, most of the time he's a league average pitcher, but he's a pretty likely bounce back candidate to get to that.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Oh, do I want Chris Taylor on this team for the next 4 years.

Offline Natsinpwc

Have to think he will want to play on a contender. Don’t see much value in overpaying for him. Would prefer some younger high ceiling guys that have not been good lately. Jorge Soler? He had a good last two months with Atlanta.

Offline Slateman

No

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
It's the multi position aspect that's got me drooling. I think the value will be better than Bryant. Of course, we are not getting him at K Hernandez price :(

Tbh, when I sober up, I would have to look at age years dollars

Offline Slateman

He turned 31 this year. Kind if doubt you're going to want him when we're competitive again

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
He turned 31 this year. Kind if doubt you're going to want him when we're competitive again
8/29 birthday, so for age curves and the like, treat 2021 as his age 30 season. I'm assuming this year will be a bunch of short term flippable vets, but I'm also assuming the intent is to make the team competitive for 2023 and 2024 while Soto is here.  They have $80 - $120 million to play with beyond Stras and Corbin (and Harris), so I'm assuming they could sign a piece for '23-'24 and the '25 new phase this year.  A 4 year Taylor deal out to age 34 season would fit pretty well in that time frame.  I just don't know what he will get.  He's coming off a $7.8MM final year of team control.  He is about a 3 WAR player.  Figure something like 3 -3- 2.5 -2 aging, that's 10.5, which sound like to me a 4 year contract in the $80 million range?  His ability to cover the 4 or so spots we are most nervous about and then slide over to left field eventually makes him a good fit.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
8/29 birthday, so for age curves and the like, treat 2021 as his age 30 season. I'm assuming this year will be a bunch of short term flippable vets, but I'm also assuming the intent is to make the team competitive for 2023 and 2024 while Soto is here.  They have $80 - $120 million to play with beyond Stras and Corbin (and Harris), so I'm assuming they could sign a piece for '23-'24 and the '25 new phase this year.  A 4 year Taylor deal out to age 34 season would fit pretty well in that time frame.  I just don't know what he will get.  He's coming off a $7.8MM final year of team control.  He is about a 3 WAR player.  Figure something like 3 -3- 2.5 -2 aging, that's 10.5, which sound like to me a 4 year contract in the $80 million range?  His ability to cover the 4 or so spots we are most nervous about and then slide over to left field eventually makes him a good fit.

Mariners should bring Taylor home honestly

Offline nfotiu

It's hard to imagine getting good value on a guy going through the best run of his career on the biggest stage going into free agency.  Rizzo needs to find an equivalent who's been under the radar somewhere.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
It's hard to imagine getting good value on a guy going through the best run of his career on the biggest stage going into free agency.  Rizzo needs to find an equivalent who's been under the radar somewhere.

Kyle Schwarber 2.0

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace

This is his third best year since he became good.  Playoff performance will help a little but idk how much

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
I would have rather seen him fall flat on his butt in the playoffs, but I'd still think he's the fit.  There may be others like him out there who for some reason haven't gotten noticed or the playing time, but that type of multipositional defender with a good bat would be a big help for a team with several prospects it is hoping will take on roles but which prospect and which role is uncertainty. 

For example, is Luis Garcia a piece you can count on, and if so, where?  Lane Thomas / Robles more than a 4th OF?  Where does House end up playing, 3rd or SS, and when?  Who covers the non-House left side of the infield position, and when?  You can probably assume House has no impact for the next 2 years, so you need a shorter-term vet to cover the House position, probably.   

Harrison still makes sense for this team for a couple of years, but he can't cover SS.  IF Canha comes cheap, Harrison and Canha might be a better alternative, but Taylor covers all these positions.

Offline Mattionals

I would have rather seen him fall flat on his butt in the playoffs, but I'd still think he's the fit.  There may be others like him out there who for some reason haven't gotten noticed or the playing time, but that type of multipositional defender with a good bat would be a big help for a team with several prospects it is hoping will take on roles but which prospect and which role is uncertainty. 

For example, is Luis Garcia a piece you can count on, and if so, where?  Lane Thomas / Robles more than a 4th OF?  Where does House end up playing, 3rd or SS, and when?  Who covers the non-House left side of the infield position, and when?  You can probably assume House has no impact for the next 2 years, so you need a shorter-term vet to cover the House position, probably.   

Harrison still makes sense for this team for a couple of years, but he can't cover SS.  IF Canha comes cheap, Harrison and Canha might be a better alternative, but Taylor covers all these positions.

I love the optimism, but IMO the biggest need is those who throw on the mound. I do like Harrison and Canha, and greedy me would take Taylor and Canha.