Author Topic: Nats lock up Ruiz  (Read 5292 times)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: Nats lock up Ruiz
« Reply #150: April 30, 2024, 09:53:22 PM »
The pitch framing is still bad
cannot have robo umps too fast for his career. Tonight seems particularly bad.

Offline aBaltoNat

« Reply #151: April 30, 2024, 11:42:57 PM »
He's just not very good behind the plate. He needs to be the DH.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #152: May 01, 2024, 06:54:04 AM »
He's just not very good behind the plate. He needs to be the DH.
Except he doesnt hit

Offline IanRubbish

« Reply #153: May 01, 2024, 11:47:50 AM »
Nats are 27th out of 30 in steals against.  Both Keibert and Riley Adams have been weak here, with 18% and 8% thrown out respectively. 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #154: May 06, 2024, 09:50:04 AM »
I had been thinking that Ruiz still had an option that would enable the Nats to send him down to AAA and recall Millas, but I'm mistaken. It looks like the Dodgers added him the 40 man roster at the end of 2018 to avoid Rule 5, and used his first option in 2019. They also optioned him out in 2020 and 2021, so all options were burned by 2021.

I think he still has not recovered from his loss of strength with the flu, but he can't go back on rehab without a legit IL reason. This is a guy with who always has among the best contact skills and K rate in the game, and his K rate is now spiked from 10% last year to 15%. His swinging strike rate and called strike rate are about the same, and he's actually increased his zone contact, but he's just not punishing anything hard this year. Pitchers aren't beating him out of the zone as much as they are challenging him hard (fewer 4 seam but more sinkers, splits and cutters).

https://www.fangraphs.com/players/keibert-ruiz/19610/stats?position=C

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #155: May 06, 2024, 07:54:04 PM »
thinking about the catching situation, it's probably time to give Adams a 50/50 split with Ruiz for a while. Adams had a nice stretch when Ruiz was out. It would let Ruiz get more rest while he's obviously beat up. Adams has hit righties OK for his career (102 wRC+), so it's not like we'd be opening up a hole when he faces more righties. Even if that's so, you can change the mix of play after a month or so if it isn't working. Big thing is to avoid Ruiz getting into a destructive cycle by playing too tired and beat up.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #156: May 06, 2024, 09:26:22 PM »
Can we just DH him? Just let him worry about hitting in the game. He can do catching work pre-game.

Offline IanRubbish

« Reply #157: May 06, 2024, 09:31:45 PM »
thinking about the catching situation, it's probably time to give Adams a 50/50 split with Ruiz for a while.

Won't happen.  Team is invested in him, and will give him over 50% of innings behind the plate whether it's deserved or not.   

Online Five Banners

« Reply #158: May 06, 2024, 10:06:57 PM »
Can we just DH him? Just let him worry about hitting in the game. He can do catching work pre-game.

That would seem to be a smart thing to do at the moment

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #159: May 07, 2024, 08:07:07 AM »
I am tired of DHs that don't hit.

In this lineup, I think they need the flexibility to DH Senzel, Winker, and maybe Joey once Gallo is back.

It would be easier to dh a catcher if Millas was the 13th position player rather than Nunez.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #160: May 07, 2024, 08:24:05 AM »
I am tired of DHs that don't hit.

In this lineup, I think they need the flexibility to DH Senzel, Winker, and maybe Joey once Gallo is back.

It would be easier to dh a catcher if Millas was the 13th position player rather than Nunez.
A DH that doesnt hit isnt as bad as a catcher costing you strikes.

You can DFA Meneses and Nunez at any time. No one is claiming them.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #161: May 07, 2024, 09:08:25 AM »
A DH that doesnt hit isnt as bad as a catcher costing you strikes.

I've been tempted to start a roster restructuring thread. Not so much big trades, but just options, waivers, outrights, and adds from Rochester.

For example, I'm not quite sure what Travis Blankenhorn can do to earn a call up. He's having a big lefty power season, plays DH/1B/Corner OF.  The Millas vs Nunez thing. Meneses has options. yepez has been good, not quite Blankehorn, but is a righty, younger, can be 1B/LF, and even has looked good in the majors for stretches.  I know the old saw about fans always thinking the backup marginal guy is better, from the backup QB to the guy on a tear in the minors or the #2 catcher on a hot streak at the plate, but I also know that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. Meneses and Rosario might get the last laugh after Sunday, Davey might have better judgment about Ruiz, and Rizzo is a better judge of talent period so he may perceive something in Nunez we all don't and be right.

I can't believe this roster move thing has me hyped enough to give me insomnia, but Sunday night was a bear to sleep.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #162: May 07, 2024, 10:20:28 AM »
I've been so desperate for so long for the Nats to sign a player early, that I can't get mad at them for his play right now.

If they give up on him and use him as a backup at the position where backups play the most, I am fine with that. His salary won't devastate the club as long as he is playable in some role.

And catchers sometimes come around late. I don't think it is impossible we're sitting here in May 2026 and someone posts, "Has Keibert Ruiz turned into a plus defensive catcher?" to go along with a solid bat.

Offline IanRubbish

« Reply #163: May 07, 2024, 10:45:32 AM »

Nunez would go back to the Marlins as a Rule 5, but yes, no reason for him to keep using up a valuable roster spot.

Offline IanRubbish

« Reply #164: May 07, 2024, 10:58:08 AM »
I don't think it is impossible we're sitting here in May 2026 and someone posts, "Has Keibert Ruiz turned into a plus defensive catcher?" to go along with a solid bat.

Runners stole 92 bases while Ruiz was catching last year, most in the majors, and with just an 8% thrown out rate.  This year isn't going much better. Plenty of 25/26 year old catchers doing far better. 

Millas might not be much better, but at least deserves a shot.  But the Nats are playing the contract with Ruiz. 

I watched the 49ers admit to a big mistake when they decided to play Brock Purdy, and even Sam Darnold, over Trey Lance, for whom they traded away draft picks so they could move up to get him.  In 2022, Kyle Shanahan told John Lynch he thought the best QB on the roster might be the 3rd stringer, meaning Purdy, and who ultimately started.  That would never happen with the Nats.  They get invested in someone due to contracts or front office/ownership politics, and they get defensive and insult us with silly PR.   Think about when the Redskins played Jeff George over Brad Johnson because of Snyder, not play or accomplishments, it's the same issue here with the Nats.  Any other team would at least give Nunez's spot to Millas.  But can't do that here because Rizzo will keep a Rule 5 all year because he can't admit he made a mistake.  In this case, two mistakes, with Nunez and Ruiz.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #165: May 07, 2024, 11:06:35 AM »
Runners stole 92 bases while Ruiz was catching last year, most in the majors, and with just an 8% thrown out rate.  This year isn't going much better. Plenty of 25/26 year old catchers doing far better. 

Millas might not be much better, but at least deserves a shot.  But the Nats are playing the contract with Ruiz. 

I watched the 49ers admit to a big mistake by playing Brock Purdy, and even Sam Darnold, over Trey Lance, for whom they traded away draft picks so they could move up to get him.  In 2022, Kyle Shanahan told John Lynch he thought the best QB on the roster might be the 3rd stringer, meaning Purdy, and who ultimately started.  That would never happen with the Nats.  They get invested in someone due to contracts or front office/ownership politics, and they get defensive and insult us with silly PR.   Think about when the Redskins played Jeff George over Brad Johnson because of Snyder, not play or accomplishments, it's the same issue here with the Nats.  Any other team would at least give Nunez's spot to Millas.  But can't do that here because Rizzo will keep a Rule 5 all year because he can't admit he made a mistake.  In this case, two mistakes, with Nunez and Ruiz.
I don't think not playing Millas is a massive issue the level of a wrong quarterback on an NFL team. He profiles to be a backup catcher.

I do agree with kicking Nunez off the roster when he clearly doesn't have the bat to be a starting 2B, Abrams is your SS for the foreseeable future and Lipscomb and Darren Baker are already players who can be your utility men while have options. And Jake Alu is still bobbing around Rochester.

Nunez being around is so weird. He should be hitting every day, not hanging out in a dugout.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #166: May 07, 2024, 11:54:55 AM »
I don't think not playing Millas is a massive issue the level of a wrong quarterback on an NFL team. He profiles to be a backup catcher.

You may be right but I think his point is Purdy was profiled to be a backup QB.  I think Millas needs a shot at some point. As the team gets better having a bad defensive catcher will matter more.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #167: May 07, 2024, 12:32:55 PM »
You may be right but I think his point is Purdy was profiled to be a backup QB.  I think Millas needs a shot at some point. As the team gets better having a bad defensive catcher will matter more.
I've been screaming since we traded for him that I want Riley Adams to get a couple weeks in the lineup without catching duties.

I'd love a stretch with Riley Adams in one of the designated bat spots while Millas gets 2/3 of the starts behind plate.

Ruiz right now is not playing at a level where he should be immovable and Riley Adams can't be worse than Joey Meneses at 1B.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #168: May 07, 2024, 04:01:29 PM »
I was going to try and defende the stealing numbers, but Ruiz is bottom of the league in pop time, both this year and last year.

At this point, Ruiz is impeding the development and maturation of the pitching staff. Make him the full time DH and backup catcher.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #169: May 15, 2024, 04:20:12 PM »
Is Ruiz a bust?

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #170: May 15, 2024, 04:35:35 PM »
sure seems that way. He can't be optioned though.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #171: May 15, 2024, 04:42:08 PM »
sure seems that way. He can't be optioned though.
seems the first thing is to use him less and see if he starts to get stronger.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #172: May 15, 2024, 04:53:30 PM »
seems the first thing is to use him less and see if he starts to get stronger.

the less you do, the more you do

Offline rileyn

« Reply #173: May 15, 2024, 05:01:57 PM »
We need to have a conversation about Ruiz.  You know, the guy had as our DH in the 5 hole today.  Maybe the sickness he had is still impacting his performance, and if that is the case, put him back on IL.  He only made one rehab start before coming back up.  I'm not sure I even know what is worse, his offense or his defense. 

Offline IanRubbish

« Reply #174: May 15, 2024, 08:04:30 PM »
We need to have a conversation about Ruiz.  You know, the guy had as our DH in the 5 hole today.  Maybe the sickness he had is still impacting his performance, and if that is the case, put him back on IL.  He only made one rehab start before coming back up.  I'm not sure I even know what is worse, his offense or his defense.

The only conversation Mini Me and Rizzo want to have is about is the sunk cost of the silly contract they gave him.  Who in their right mind would DH this guy?