Author Topic: Has any team had 9 players hit 15 HR's in a season  (Read 447 times)

Online aspenbubba

Has any team had 9 players hit 15 HR's in a season
« Topic Start: September 12, 2019, 09:05:58 AM »
I saw in the broadcast last nite a graphic that stated that 9 Nats have hit at least 13 HR's this season to lead all MLB teams. With 18 games remaining Kendrick and Turner have 14 and Eaton 13.  Not unrealistic to have them achieve 15 plus. I attempted to find it on the web but was unsucessful. I was curious if that would be a record.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
Re: Has any team had 9 players hit 15 HR's in a season
« Reply #1: September 12, 2019, 09:15:28 AM »
I saw in the broadcast last nite a graphic that stated that 9 Nats have hit at least 13 HR's this season to lead all MLB teams. With 18 games remaining Kendrick and Turner have 14 and Eaton 13.  Not unrealistic to have them achieve 15 plus. I attempted to find it on the web but was unsucessful. I was curious if that would be a record.

The Twins this year have nine players with 15 Home Runs.

The 2019 Twins also have the most 20 homer players on one team with 8.

Online aspenbubba

« Reply #2: September 12, 2019, 09:21:27 AM »
The Twins this year have nine players with 15 Home Runs.

The 2019 Twins also have the most 20 homer players on one team with 8.
Thanks. Any other teams in MLB history . So the grahic was wrong or was it just the NL and I didn't read it correctly?

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3: September 12, 2019, 09:33:16 AM »
Thanks. Any other teams in MLB history . So the grahic was wrong or was it just the NL and I didn't read it correctly?

Not that I can tell. The Yankees last year have the most players with 10 homers with 12 players. But only 7 got 15.

The 2017 Astros had 11 players hit double digits. But only 8 with 15.

I doubt these records have been achieved in other eras give everyone current home run environment, but I can’t be sure. 15 isn’t a number people always keep track of.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #4: September 12, 2019, 09:33:47 AM »
If you count all of Encarnacion's home runs, not just the ones with New York, the Yankees have 9 with 15+ home runs. Hell, he might get to 15 with the Yankees alone.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #5: September 12, 2019, 11:26:51 AM »

Well, this year's Astros already have 8 with 15+ and another with 12 and the A's have 7 with 20+ and 3 more between 10 and 13.  Even the Rangers have 7 with 15+ (8 if you count AssCab's homers with the Nats; then again, you'd need to count his Texas homers for the Nats too, giving them a shot at 10).  But what takes the cake is that the Mariners already have 8 (again, if you count the 21 Encarnacion hit before he left) and Jay Bruce hit 14 before he was traded to Philly, where he's hit 11 more.  That's 3 teams in the same division that had a good shot at it just this year.

So what you're seeing with the Nats isn't really all that remarkable.  It's of course easier in the AL where the DHs are almost all home run hitters.

Offline sixthree175

• Born in 1961
« Reply #7: September 29, 2019, 06:55:57 PM »
Was able to figure out how to do a play index search on this. The Nats ended up with 9 players with 15 or more homers. It is the most ever. We are tied with this year’s Twins and this year’s Blue Jays. There are 4 other historical teams that have done it. First was 2005 Rangers and Indians.

This year those home run stats are all inflated due to the physics of the ball.  I'm happy for Pete Alonzo, but his new rookie record would not have been possible without the new ball.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #8: September 29, 2019, 07:14:43 PM »
This year those home run stats are all inflated due to the physics of the ball.  I'm happy for Pete Alonzo, but his new rookie record would not have been possible without the new ball.
hey, folks at one time people wanted to disregard 1961 because of expansion.   Folks also want an * on all the steroid era hitting records (and Roger Clemens, the only caught pitcher).  In the context of this era, they still did something that 27 or 28 other teams could not do with the same baseball.