Author Topic: Stone Garrett - MIA  (Read 3124 times)

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Stone Garrett - MIA
« Topic Start: April 16, 2023, 09:39:49 AM »
Davey explains:
“That’s a matchup (issue),” Martinez told reporters (including MASN’s Mark Zuckerman). “And those other guys are playing well. Lane and Alex Call have been getting some big hits for us, getting on base. It’s tough to take them out right now. I’ve talked to (Garrett) about just hanging in there. We haven’t faced any lefties, either, in a while. Just be ready when you’re called upon … If Stone was left-handed, it might be a different conversation.”

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: Stone Garrett - MIA
« Reply #1: April 16, 2023, 11:02:46 AM »
I'm a Call fan, and he was doing well first 10 games, but he's cooled a lot the last 4 games. None of these guys are so good that they are have to play guys. Days off are good.

FWIW, through Monday, Call was .290 / .415 / .419 with a .371 wOBA. I can see Davey not wanting to take him out after a Tuesday and Wednesday at the Angels. 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2: April 16, 2023, 11:38:14 AM »
starting today in place of Call. Thomas to lead off, Garrett to bat 7th.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #3: April 16, 2023, 01:38:22 PM »
But the matchup. Bieber is a righty.

The sad thing is that Davey believes what he said and it probably took someone in the media asking about Garrett for him to be in the lineup. Night like the righty batters in the lineup have been crushing the eighties.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #4: April 16, 2023, 01:56:22 PM »
This years Joey?

Online imref

« Reply #5: April 16, 2023, 02:13:34 PM »
But the matchup. Bieber is a righty.

The sad thing is that Davey believes what he said and it probably took someone in the media asking about Garrett for him to be in the lineup. Night like the righty batters in the lineup have been crushing the eighties.
rock is better than pop?

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #6: April 16, 2023, 03:02:59 PM »
He's played more CF and RF in his minor league career. Just sayin

Online imref

« Reply #7: April 16, 2023, 03:59:01 PM »
Gonna guess he’s starting from this point forward.

Offline IanRubbish

« Reply #8: April 16, 2023, 04:18:49 PM »

Let's hope so, but Davey's lineups have been a little odd this year.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #9: April 16, 2023, 05:39:04 PM »
LOL. You posted his quote. He started him the previous Sunday against a righty and he went 2 for 4.  But Davey says would be easier if he is a lefty.  It’s about matchups for him. But not his regulars apparently. I think he just hates to bench any other guys. It would make sense to rotate some of these guys around.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10: April 16, 2023, 05:44:04 PM »
Against lefties, for now Dom should sit, Joey at first, Stone DH, and Call and Thomas in the corners.

Against righties, maybe they fit 3 guys into LF and DH.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #11: April 16, 2023, 06:54:33 PM »
Against lefties, for now Dom should sit, Joey at first, Stone DH, and Call and Thomas in the corners.

Against righties, maybe they fit 3 guys into LF and DH.
Historically, Smith hits LHP well

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12: April 16, 2023, 08:02:32 PM »
Historically, Smith hits LHP well
I don't think he needs to sit because he can't hit lhp. It's just with this lineup, it's the best way to get Garrett playing time.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13: April 18, 2023, 09:29:31 AM »
discussion of Stone's playing time and that of the other outfielders:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/04/16/stone-garrett-nationals-guardians/

Spotting him in:
Manager Dave Martinez said Saturday that it came down to matchups. And on Sunday, he said he liked Garrett against Guardians right-hander Shane Bieber because of his ability to stay back on breaking balls. Garrett said he spent time in the batting cage working on breaking pitches and not letting his mind wander.

Davey admits the Sunday game gave him a lot to think about.  The problem? All the outfielders are righties who hit lefties better than righties, which Golden suggests may be why Mazara was signed. Discussing the other outfield options:
Robles, 25, is a standout defender in center, giving him a path to the lineup despite his massive struggles at the plate since he helped the 2019 team win the World Series. That leaves the other three outfielders to fill the corner spots.

Call, 28, is a contact-first hitter who can work long at-bats and hit line drives at the top of the order. Thomas, 27, was the team leader in home runs last season among players who spent the whole season with Washington, but he can be streaky. And then there’s Garrett, a 27-year-old slugger who has the least experience with the team but has flashed in his few moments.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #14: April 18, 2023, 11:37:20 AM »
Of course they didn’t know they had all righty OF during the off-season.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #15: April 18, 2023, 11:48:09 AM »
Matt Adams waiting on deck.

Offline catocony

« Reply #16: April 18, 2023, 11:57:43 AM »
Do I really care if the three outfielders all hit righty when the other five starters are lefty/switch? 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17: April 18, 2023, 12:07:25 PM »
Do I really care if the three outfielders all hit righty when the other five starters are lefty/switch? 
It's mostly that there's no natural position partner for him. I guess the best they have is fastball / breaking ball pitchers. Garrett would start against Blyleven.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #18: April 18, 2023, 01:00:09 PM »
It's mostly that there's no natural position partner for him. I guess the best they have is fastball / breaking ball pitchers. Garrett would start against Blyleven.
He is hitting the crap out of the ball and plays all three outfield positions. He doesnt need a partner.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19: April 18, 2023, 03:06:25 PM »
He is hitting the crap out of the ball and plays all three outfield positions. He doesnt need a partner.
yes. I was saying what the thinking was but now he has to play

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #20: April 18, 2023, 03:59:58 PM »
Mazara

It's 2009 again if anyone thinks Nomar Mazara should be on an MLB roster and that roster is this one.  Dude makes Alex Call look like Joe DiMaggio.

Online Natsinpwc

Offline Slateman

« Reply #22: April 19, 2023, 07:32:59 PM »
Play my boy everyday

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23: June 24, 2023, 06:26:50 PM »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/06/24/nationals-stone-garrett-confidence/

Breaks down some stats on just how hard he is hitting the ball and work he is doing to make contact more consistently.

“When I put the ball in play, it’s going to come off pretty hard,” Garrett said. “So [I’m] just [continuing] giving myself a better pitch to hit, putting the ball in play, because we all know that when I put the ball in play it’s going to come off at a decent exit velocity, with the opportunity to get more hits.”

Garrett has moved back slightly in the batter’s box rather than crowding the plate, helping him to get his hands through the ball inside and lay off pitches off the outside edge while still allowing him to drive the outside strike to the opposite field. Though a minor tweak, Garrett believes it will improve his pitch recognition and plate coverage.

“Down and away is a really tough pitch to hit with authority. But [I’m] just trusting my work in practice, taking that ball the other way, just hitting a line drive somewhere and putting it in play,” he said. “That pitch can produce a lot of popouts, but staying on it and driving it to the opposite field, I work on that a lot.”

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24: July 02, 2023, 03:21:16 PM »
Time to get him more PAs even if it means Dickerson, Smith, and Meneses lose playing time. Maybe we try Thomas in CF, too. Need to see if he can hit RHP.