Author Topic: Zimmerman on Lee and Dunn.  (Read 1772 times)

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
Re: Zimmerman on Lee and Dunn.
« Reply #25: November 11, 2010, 01:37:47 PM »
not sure how many of you have access to ESPN insider, but the Nats have contacted agents for Lee and Crawford.  Lee has only granted the Yankees the 'in person' talk.

It is more fun to complain about the negative stuff that hasn't happenned instead of the positive stuff that most likely won't happen.

Offline natsfan4evr

« Reply #26: November 11, 2010, 01:59:48 PM »
"We didn't think Bryce showed enough power to warrant a long term deal. He only hit 50 HR's this year. We're big fans of Juan Pierre, and what he brings to the table with his defensive ability."
low blow
Did Tom put you up to this?

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #27: November 11, 2010, 02:15:50 PM »
they can replace RZ with an even older Rolen. That way they can pitch "see future HOFer Scott Rolen" in all their mktg communications.

:lmao:

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #28: November 11, 2010, 02:20:12 PM »
low blow
Did Tom put you up to this?

I cannot confirm nor deny this.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #29: November 11, 2010, 03:10:00 PM »
Man this thread got nasty in a hurry :lol:

Offline Ray D

« Reply #30: November 11, 2010, 04:06:11 PM »
If the Nationals offered Lee $40M more than the Yankees, what are the chances Lee would sign with us? On a scale of zero to 100 what is the probability?  Zero.   So why are we wasting our energy?

Offline Sharp

« Reply #31: November 11, 2010, 04:08:29 PM »
If the Nationals offered Lee $40M more than the Yankees, what are the chances Lee would sign with us? On a scale of zero to 100 what is the probability?  Zero.   So why are we wasting our energy?
If the Nats offered Lee $40m than the Yankees he would come to the Nats.  Most people believe that if the Nats outbid the Yankees it's going to be by a relatively small margin ($10 million or less).  Actually, that's kind of intellectually dishonest: most people (counting non-Nats fans) don't think the Nats have a prayer of even matching what the Yankees are willing to pay for Cliff Lee.

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
« Reply #32: November 11, 2010, 04:08:58 PM »
If the Nationals offered Lee $40M more than the Yankees, what are the chances Lee would sign with us? On a scale of zero to 100 what is the probability?  Zero.   So why are we wasting our energy?

No one in the world is stupid enough to leave $40 million on the table. If it is $5 or even $10 million then maybe, but if it is $40 million more no way he turns it down.

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
« Reply #33: November 11, 2010, 04:11:44 PM »

Also reminds me of the Homer Simpson quote, "Kids you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson, never try."

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #34: November 11, 2010, 05:33:24 PM »
No one in the world is stupid enough to leave $40 million on the table.

There is a point where you have all the money you will ever need. For some people, that is far less than $40 million. I'm not saying Lee is that guy but there is a point past which money is not the primary motivation.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #35: November 11, 2010, 05:34:01 PM »
Also reminds me of the Homer Simpson quote, "Kids you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson, never try."
The reason not to waste time on Lee is that there is finite energy. Recall the energy we wasted on Teixiera who we didn't have a ghost of a chance at singning, and recall that after we didn't sign him  the other free agents that we should have pursued were gone.
Obviously my $40M figure was deliberate hyperbole, the point being, the probability of Lee coming here is a flat zero.

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
« Reply #36: November 11, 2010, 05:40:16 PM »
The reason not to waste time on Lee is that there is finite energy. Recall the energy we wasted on Teixiera who we didn't have a ghost of a chance at singning, and recall that after we didn't sign him  the other free agents that we should have pursued were gone.
Obviously my $40M figure was deliberate hyperbole, the point being, the probability of Lee coming here is a flat zero.

Adam Dunn was plan B. I am positive that GMs can find time in their days to talk to more than one agent.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #37: November 11, 2010, 05:51:06 PM »
If the Nationals offered Lee $40M more than the Yankees,

What are the chances of the Lerners doing that (on a scale from 0-100)?

There is a point where you have all the money you will ever need. For some people, that is far less than $40 million. I'm not saying Lee is that guy but there is a point past which money is not the primary motivation.

That would seem to be the case for most rational people but time and time again we see millionaire athletes who don't seem to subscribe to this line of thinking.

Offline blue911

« Reply #38: November 11, 2010, 05:52:46 PM »
What are the chances of the Lerners doing that (on a scale from 0-100)?

That would seem to be the case for most rational people but time and time again we see millionaire athletes who don't seem to subscribe to this line of thinking.

zero. Most of the talking heads think that the Yankees will offer Lee a "stupid" contract.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #39: November 11, 2010, 06:25:10 PM »

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #40: November 11, 2010, 07:57:18 PM »
2014 TMZ sports flash- General Manager of the Washington Nationals Mike Rizzo has found a replacement for free agent Ryan Zimmerman.  Rizzo has talked 37 year old 4 time All-star Troy Glaus out of a retirement home to join the Nats for the 2014 season.
When asked about becoming a National Glaus said, "I don't remember there being a team in the state of Washington".

<smiley><smiley><gut-busting laugh>   

(what you do when you are too impatient to find the buttons)

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #41: November 11, 2010, 09:53:34 PM »

I suspect this has more to do with the pressures other owners, other players, their agents, and the associated institutions bring to the public face of the sport; not to mention the general silence around contract and employment negotiations in the United States.

In a scenario where it is not all about the money, any self-interest scenario of the individual actors I can come up encourages both parties to keep it quiet and out of the public eye other than what sounds like the usual platitudes.

This seems much more likely than generalizing the near mythical greedy sports player mentality to most or all the players. Do I have a shred of proof? Nope yet it seems reasonable conjecture and more likely than assuming irrational greed across the board.