Author Topic: Must See TV Thread  (Read 116940 times)

Offline English Natsie

• It's baseball, Jim, but not as we know it...
Re: Must See TV Thread
« Reply #2250: October 23, 2023, 09:47:59 AM »
Been watching 'The Devil's Confession - The Eichmann Trial'. Very interesting and informative - definitely worth your time. Just been shown, over here, but as an MGM production it may have already been broadcast in the US.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #2251: October 23, 2023, 10:37:28 AM »
Been watching 'The Devil's Confession - The Eichmann Trial'. Very interesting and informative - definitely worth your time. Just been shown, over here, but as an MGM production it may have already been broadcast in the US.
Looks like it is on Amazon prime.

Offline English Natsie

« Reply #2252: November 03, 2023, 03:32:14 PM »
As ever, I recommend the latest 'American Experience' film - 'The War On DIsco', which proposes that the Comiskey Park riot, and the events leading up to it, mark the beginning of the modern 'culture wars'. AE's been on a real roll, of late...

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #2253: November 03, 2023, 04:27:16 PM »
MeTV is airing the final episode of MASH next Friday (11/10) starting at 7 PM. It will be interspersed with recent interviews from surviving cast members.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #2254: November 10, 2023, 08:41:11 AM »
I just finished the Pacific now that it's on Netflix. It's a great show, but so much bleaker than Band of Brothers

Offline Dave in Fairfax

« Reply #2255: November 10, 2023, 04:57:14 PM »
Apparently there's a series for the USAAF / 8th Air Force coming out, following the BoB/Pacific format and EP'ed by Spielberg. I haven't heard much about it. Maybe on Apple TV?

Offline imref

« Reply #2256: December 06, 2023, 03:01:49 PM »
Anyone else a fan of Hot Ones? I've been binging episodes on Youtube in recent weeks.  The idea of conducting an interview over increasingly hot chicken wings (or vegan substitutes) sounds stupid, but the show works. Sean Evans is a great host / interviewer and the reactions to the hot sauces are fun to watch.

Gordon Ramsey is far and away the best one I've seen. Others i'd recommend include Paul Rudd (especially for his response to the Ant Man / Thanos question), Alton Brown, Chris Jericho, Neil de Grasse Tyson, Justin Timberlake, Bobby Flay, Ed Helms, David Blaine, Ricky Gervais, and Jason Sudeikis.

They really need to get Obama on the show.

Offline English Natsie

« Reply #2257: December 06, 2023, 06:31:37 PM »
Apparently there's a series for the USAAF / 8th Air Force coming out, following the BoB/Pacific format and EP'ed by Spielberg. I haven't heard much about it. Maybe on Apple TV?

I assume the first episode will be a pilot?... ;)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #2258: December 06, 2023, 08:20:51 PM »
I assume the first episode will be a pilot?... ;)
I heard it bombed

Offline English Natsie

« Reply #2259: December 14, 2023, 10:37:25 AM »
Showing 'KIlling Sherlock - Lucy Worsley on Conan Doyle', over here. It's a PBS co-production, so I expect it shall soon get a run-out in the US. Interesting insight into the life, and work, of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, and how he came to despise his greatest creation...

Offline English Natsie

« Reply #2260: December 17, 2023, 05:01:29 AM »
Here's BBC One's Christmas ident, for this year. Now, I wonder what drew my attention to this?... ;)

Here's how it is, as broadcast.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #2261: December 17, 2023, 11:53:09 AM »
"Slow Horses" season 3 is on Apple. Here is the preview for Season 1:

Offline imref

« Reply #2262: December 17, 2023, 05:43:43 PM »
"Slow Horses" season 3 is on Apple. Here is the preview for Season 1:

thanks. We are a few episodes into season 1.

Offline imref

« Reply #2263: January 02, 2024, 11:43:58 PM »
watched the MASH retrospective on Fox from yesterday. Not a dry eye in the house when it was over.  It's available for streaming on Fubo:

https://decider.com/2024/01/01/mash-the-comedy-that-changed-television-fox-review/

Offline English Natsie

« Reply #2264: January 05, 2024, 04:55:31 PM »
I see that PBS are shortly to broadcast Season 4 of 'All Creatures Great & Small', which was shown over here in Sept/Oct, last year. Still a quality drama, although this season continues the trend of Season 3 for more emotionally wrought episodes (think 'Call The Midwife'...).

Offline imref

« Reply #2265: January 05, 2024, 05:09:05 PM »
ABC started airing Only Murders in the Building, which had been previously only available on Hulu. Great show if you haven't seen it already.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #2266: January 05, 2024, 09:32:47 PM »
I see that PBS are shortly to broadcast Season 4 of 'All Creatures Great & Small', which was shown over here in Sept/Oct, last year. Still a quality drama, although this season continues the trend of Season 3 for more emotionally wrought episodes (think 'Call The Midwife'...).

My wife and I love that show when it’s low stakes. Just fall asleep to the nice scenery

Offline imref

« Reply #2267: January 05, 2024, 10:34:09 PM »
Just watched the mark Twain award for Dave chappelle. :hysterical:

Offline welch

« Reply #2268: January 10, 2024, 01:28:04 PM »
thanks. We are a few episodes into season 1.

I've been binging "MI-5" (aka "Spooks") on Brit Box. A great pairing: after a season-worth of MI-5 and Sir Harry Pearce, then watch a season of "Slow Horses".

Offline English Natsie

« Reply #2269: January 12, 2024, 06:19:43 PM »
Just been watching 'The Cambridgeshire Crucifixion' - it's a WNET production, so may have already been shown in the US. Interesting program which examines Roman citizenship, law and punishment. It also illustrates the benefits of a multi-disciplinary approach in archaeology.

Offline English Natsie

« Reply #2270: January 24, 2024, 10:31:54 AM »
The latest 'American Experience' film - 'Nazi - Town USA' -  is an insightful analysis of 'Star Spangled Fascism', through Nazi sympathazing movements in 1930's America.

Definitely worth your attention.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #2271: January 24, 2024, 10:58:57 AM »
The latest 'American Experience' film - 'Nazi - Town USA' -  is an insightful analysis of 'Star Spangled Fascism', through Nazi sympathazing movements in 1930's America.

Definitely worth your attention.
there's a new book, "Prequel," out by Rachel Maddow (a left-liberal TV commentator on American TV) on the same topic. We kind of gloss over and out of our memory how popular fascism was in democratic societies during the '30s.

Offline welch

« Reply #2272: January 24, 2024, 12:40:35 PM »
there's a new book, "Prequel," out by Rachel Maddow (a left-liberal TV commentator on American TV) on the same topic. We kind of gloss over and out of our memory how popular fascism was in democratic societies during the '30s.

It is worth reading Robert O. Paxton's Anatomy of Fascism for an overview of fascist movements across Europe from 1920 until WW2. Paxton suggests that fascist movements rise when a traditional conservative party cannot win elections against mass parties, like the German Social Democratic Party. The conservatives supported street-battlers against parties built around mass-membership labor unions. https://www.amazon.com/Anatomy-Fascism-Robert-Paxton-ebook/dp/B000XUBE6G/ref=sr_1_1?crid=LOEYI2Z3H298&keywords=anatomy+of+fascism&qid=1706117119&sprefix=anatomy+of+fascism%2Caps%2C104&sr=8-1

For one incident, captured on film at the National Archives, see the WIKI article on a Nazi Rally at Madison Square Garden. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1939_Nazi_rally_at_Madison_Square_Garden

You can see and hear some of it in the trailer for "A Night at the Garden", documentary about the Nazi rally: http://anightatthegarden.com/

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #2273: January 24, 2024, 01:08:40 PM »
It is worth reading Robert O. Paxton's Anatomy of Fascism for an overview of fascist movements across Europe from 1920 until WW2. Paxton suggests that fascist movements rise when a traditional conservative party cannot win elections against mass parties, like the German Social Democratic Party. The conservatives supported street-battlers against parties built around mass-membership labor unions. https://www.amazon.com/Anatomy-Fascism-Robert-Paxton-ebook/dp/B000XUBE6G/ref=sr_1_1?crid=LOEYI2Z3H298&keywords=anatomy+of+fascism&qid=1706117119&sprefix=anatomy+of+fascism%2Caps%2C104&sr=8-1

For one incident, captured on film at the National Archives, see the WIKI article on a Nazi Rally at Madison Square Garden. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1939_Nazi_rally_at_Madison_Square_Garden

You can see and hear some of it in the trailer for "A Night at the Garden", documentary about the Nazi rally: http://anightatthegarden.com/

The next time one gets stuck somewhere like the Key Bridge or a road like the GW Parkway (thinking of three local incidents, one of which happened the other day with possible connections to the reported explosion of civility by the White House), they may have time to dial these up on their iPhone as well as analyze where those screaming at them may fall on the political spectrum, “traditional“ or otherwise.

Offline English Natsie

« Reply #2274: January 25, 2024, 04:03:07 AM »
The main point is the central premise of the program - we like to think of fascist movements as the 'other' when, in reality, fascism is always domestic. Groups like the Bund were not 'Germans being German' but rather 'Americans being Americans'...