Author Topic: Must See TV Thread  (Read 116937 times)

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: Must See TV Thread
« Reply #2225: July 06, 2023, 10:20:54 PM »
Arnold Schwarzenegger bio on Netflix is fantastic

Online imref

« Reply #2226: July 14, 2023, 09:46:17 PM »
Latest grand tour on prime is great

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #2227: August 04, 2023, 04:19:21 PM »
Wiffle Ball on ESPN the Ocho now. Well really ESPN2. 

Online imref

« Reply #2228: August 04, 2023, 04:22:17 PM »
Lincoln Lawyer Season 2, Part 2 on Netflix, and Only Murders in the Building, Season 2 on Apple+, both drop next week.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #2229: August 04, 2023, 05:25:50 PM »
Second season of The Bear is on Hulu. Getting rave reviews. I know I'll hate it.  :hysterical:

I loved the first season.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #2230: August 04, 2023, 06:09:10 PM »
Swagger season 2 on apple. It’s about an AAU player in PG. Durant is one of the producers

Offline English Natsie

• It's baseball, Jim, but not as we know it...
« Reply #2231: August 04, 2023, 06:21:05 PM »
We're getting the sheer delight of a re-run of Bronowski's classic 'The Ascent Of Man', originally broadcast in 1972. Ah - they don't make 'em like that anymore, unfortunately...

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #2232: August 04, 2023, 06:31:47 PM »
We're getting the sheer delight of a re-run of Bronowski's classic 'The Ascent Of Man', originally broadcast in 1972. Ah - they don't make 'em like that anymore, unfortunately...
I’m assuming it was probably shown here on PBS but don’t remember watching it.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #2233: August 04, 2023, 07:36:32 PM »
It’s up there with connections as my favorite documentary series

Online imref

« Reply #2234: August 07, 2023, 01:37:12 PM »
finished season 2 of lincoln lawyer on netflix last night. The last episode was kind of lame, but 6-9 were excellent.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #2235: August 07, 2023, 02:49:35 PM »
finished season 2 of lincoln lawyer on netflix last night. The last episode was kind of lame, but 6-9 were excellent.
Yep.

Online imref

« Reply #2236: August 13, 2023, 08:48:20 PM »
The Johnny Manziel documentary on Netflix is really good.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #2237: August 13, 2023, 09:58:23 PM »
The Johnny Manziel documentary on Netflix is really good.

I heard the domestic violence is conveniently left out

Online imref

« Reply #2238: August 13, 2023, 10:20:18 PM »
I heard the domestic violence is conveniently left out

they mentioned it the claim his girlfriend made against him. My only complaint is that it should have been at least another 30 minutes. They didn't really explain what he's up to now and rushed through a lot of his story.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #2239: August 16, 2023, 12:34:32 PM »
Got a free week of Apple TV.  Started watching Ted Lasso. Disappointed. I was hoping for and expecting something actually funny. Occasionally found myself smiling but mostly just scratching my head at the whole premise. I wonder what the Brits think as it makes them all look like buffoons.

I did finally get around to watching the documentary on Crystal Palace on Amazon. When Eagles Dare. Enjoyed that.  Just five episodes which was good as I have the attention span of a five year old on most days.

Online imref

« Reply #2240: August 16, 2023, 12:57:46 PM »
Got a free week of Apple TV.  Started watching Ted Lasso. Disappointed. I was hoping for and expecting something actually funny. Occasionally found myself smiling but mostly just scratching my head at the whole premise. I wonder what the Brits think as it makes them all look like buffoons.

I did finally get around to watching the documentary on Crystal Palace on Amazon. When Eagles Dare. Enjoyed that.  Just five episodes which was good as I have the attention span of a five year old on most days.

You have to give Ted Lasso a few episodes. I started to really get into it by about episode 4 of season 1.  Still one of the best written shows that i've ever seen IMHO. The dart scene with Ted and Rupert is among my favorite scenes ever in a TV show. For me, it's not necessarily the comedy (though i laughed a lot), it's the story and character development and the overall message of the show.

Also on Apple+ I'd recommend:
- Shrinking (some of the same writers as Ted Lasso, more raunchy and very funny)
- The Reluctant Traveler with Eugene Levy
- For All Mankind
- Severance

Platonic is OK as well but i can't take too much Seth Rogan.

Offline nobleisthyname

« Reply #2241: August 16, 2023, 02:15:18 PM »
Ted Lasso is one of the most wholesome feeling shows out there.

Online imref

« Reply #2242: August 25, 2023, 12:09:43 PM »
I've started getting into Hot Ones lately and am catching up via YouTube. We watched the Gordon Ramsey episode last night and it was fantastic. Ramsey appeared to be on the verge of passing out a few times from the heat. Other favorites so far have been Alton Brown, David Blaine, and Dave Grohl. Weird Al's episode was pretty good though he barely nibbled on his wings.

I wish Anthony Bourdain would have lived long enough to do this show.

Online imref

« Reply #2243: September 18, 2023, 02:36:49 PM »
Noticed Ted Lasso and Jason Sudeikis were trending on twitter and wondered why. It turns out that it has been 3 years today since this scene became available:

Offline English Natsie

• It's baseball, Jim, but not as we know it...
« Reply #2244: September 18, 2023, 06:24:56 PM »
I recommend the latest two films from 'American Experience' (PBS), which have been shown together as they both address the subject of desegregation in schools. The first - 'The Busing Controversy' - examines Boston's use of busing to achieve desegregation. What emerges is an excellent exposition of unintended consequence in public policy. The second - 'The Harvest' - is a film by Pulitzer Prize winning journalist Douglas A. Blackmon. He examines desegregation through the prism of the town where he grew up (Leland, Mississippi), illustrating that the policy achieved its immediate aim, but failed to meet its broader objectives due to societal failure, with all of the consequences deriving from that failure.

Both are well worth your time...

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #2245: September 18, 2023, 09:53:23 PM »
I was a high schooler during the peak of the busing controversy. There were clearly racist elements to the opposition but there was also a good deal of condescension by the "elites" when some opponents said that it was destroying parents ability to be involved in their kids schooling. "Neighborhood school " was treated as a buzzword for segregation when for some it really did mean parental support and involvement. Ray Flynn in particular was ridiculed for being anti abortion and opposed to the busing order but really had no racial animus. He was very much a uniter when he became mayor.

There's a great book: common ground, by antony lukas, going into the situation following 3 families

Offline blue911

« Reply #2246: September 19, 2023, 12:01:20 PM »
I was a high schooler during the peak of the busing controversy. There were clearly racist elements to the opposition but there was also a good deal of condescension by the "elites" when some opponents said that it was destroying parents ability to be involved in their kids schooling. "Neighborhood school " was treated as a buzzword for segregation when for some it really did mean parental support and involvement. Ray Flynn in particular was ridiculed for being anti abortion and opposed to the busing order but really had no racial animus. He was very much a uniter when he became mayor.

There's a great book: common ground, by antony lukas, going into the situation following 3 families

I got to ride a bus for an hour each way instead of being within walking distance of the nearest school.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2247: September 19, 2023, 12:27:04 PM »
I got to ride a bus for an hour each way instead of being within walking distance of the nearest school.
PG?

Offline blue911

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2249: September 19, 2023, 04:02:10 PM »
Yep
Common Ground is still a heck of a read. Talks about how Kevin White almost was McGovern's running mate until Ted Kennedy killed it (McGovern I think asked him and Kennedy said something like "I'm OK with whatever your decision is." McGovern thought that was Kennedy blessing it, until an adviser told him that was Kennedy indicating he wanted something else to happen).

Tying it into baseball, it talks about the Globe, which advocated for the busing program. It was just emerging as the dominant paper in Boston. The opponents of busing tried to organize a boycott, but it was the summer of 1975, the rookie years for Rice and Lynn, so no one wanted to go without reading Gammons's and Ryan's coverage of the team and Montville's columns.

One of the featured families was the liberal elite professional adviser to White, Colin Diver, who I think went on to be dean of BU's law school and I think UPenn as well. Not ironically, Diver ended up moving out of the city to Newton, a liberal inner suburb.

There was a TV movie on Common Ground, which also used some stereotyping. They wanted the busing opponents in Charlestown, an Irish-dominated neighborhood at the time, to look insular and racist, so they posed one of the activists in a Celtics jacket. That of course was BS because the Townies follow the Bruins, not the Celts; if anything, the racists disliked the Celts. It wasn't until the 80s and Bird/Magic that the Celts had a rep as the White team.