Author Topic: Nats stuff in the Hall of Fame/Cooperstown  (Read 1213 times)

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
Re: Nats stuff in the Hall of Fame/Cooperstown
« Reply #25: July 06, 2012, 01:28:00 PM »
You still have no idea how LoD works, do you?

Never really did understand it, no. I just kind of equate it with overwhelming pessimism and negativity.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #26: July 06, 2012, 01:29:27 PM »
Never really did understand it, no. I just kind of equate it with overwhelming pessimism and negativity.

Its agenda doesn't follow the same blueprint that the SSS does.

We walk around in alley ways with leather jackets and slicked, greased back hair. We also carry lead pipes.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #27: July 06, 2012, 01:30:53 PM »

We walk around in alley ways with leather jackets and slicked, greased back hair. We also carry lead pipes.

And say stuff like "life is pain daddy-o"

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #28: July 06, 2012, 01:33:51 PM »

Well, the SSS skips around in flowered fields, wearing loose robes and free flowing long hair. We carry butterfly nets.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #29: July 06, 2012, 01:35:11 PM »
And say stuff like "life is pain daddy-o"

We also sing when we feel like it.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #30: July 06, 2012, 01:37:14 PM »

The SSS is constantly singing inspirational hymns and folks songs.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #31: July 06, 2012, 01:39:53 PM »

Just as long as you stay on your side of town... ya dig?

And for cripe's sake, can someone put these SSS hippies in the freakin' shower. Crikee, it smells of B.O. and petchuli oil up in here. And turn the damn Dead off already.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #32: July 06, 2012, 01:41:29 PM »
Them poncho's are dirty as hell.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #33: July 06, 2012, 03:27:24 PM »
Great idea but if the SSS goes up by a couple of runs, the LOD would simply give up because they would be certain they would lose. You know, somebody would call "game" just to be first.

Until the LoD promises season tickets to keep the game "fair" and then your strikezone gets smaller.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #34: July 06, 2012, 05:31:36 PM »
There is also the Virginia Tech cap that was worn by the players after the shooting incident there.  All 5 balls that the Presidents have thrown out (from Walter Johnson's collection of course) (Taft, Coolidge etc).  Again this city's baseball history goes back more than 5 years!

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #35: July 06, 2012, 08:35:23 PM »

:icon_question:

The team is only seven years old.   How much stuff can there be.

Since the 1800's, there have been Nats.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #36: July 07, 2012, 12:27:15 AM »
The Lou Gehrig Award:

Offline RL04

« Reply #37: July 09, 2012, 02:32:06 PM »
Never developed any need for a car - ever since I settled permanently in this area in 1977 I've resided and worked near good public transport; everything I need is either within walking distance or easily accessed by transit.

That's very cool but don't see how it's possible.

There is no golf course I'm aware of near mass transit.  And even if there was, I wouldn't want to carry my bag and shoes all that way.

What about going to the beach?  Or going away for the weekend?

Costco?

My daughter's school is not near a subway or bus line.

Her rowing regattas are not near mass transit.

Son's swim meets,  soccer and basketball games, boy scout meetings.

The supermarket.  The hardware store.  Etc.  Actually I can't think of a darned thing I can get to without taking the car.

Offline RL04

« Reply #38: July 09, 2012, 02:33:46 PM »
Since the 1800's, there have been Nats.

Oh, for goodness sakes, give it a rest!    :roll:

The O/P was obviously referring to the current Washington Nationals:

We visited the HoF in Cooperstown today, this was our third visit and it never ceases to amaze.  The Nats display though is sorely lacking, most of the stuff is pretty old - Alfonso Soriano's jersey, Zimm's cap from the opening game at Nats park, and a few other older items.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #39: July 10, 2012, 08:04:10 AM »
That's very cool but don't see how it's possible.

There is no golf course I'm aware of near mass transit.  And even if there was, I wouldn't want to carry my bag and shoes all that way.

What about going to the beach?  Or going away for the weekend?

Costco?

My daughter's school is not near a subway or bus line.

Her rowing regattas are not near mass transit.

Son's swim meets,  soccer and basketball games, boy scout meetings.

The supermarket.  The hardware store.  Etc.  Actually I can't think of a darned thing I can get to without taking the car.

Well for one thing I'm single (always have been) so no family transportation issues. Here in south Arlington I have most of my necessities - food, bank, drugstore - either within walking distance or right on the way home from work (our neighbourhood Giant re-opened a year ago, and there's a Harris Teeter at Pentagon City right on the way from the Metro station to where I pick up the bus). Getting to and from work is very easily accomplished with Metrobus/rail. (You mention Costco - there actually is one near Pentagon City that I could join if I wanted to, but haven't given it any thought - the aforementioned grocery stores fill the bill.) And of course getting to/from Nats and other sporting events just takes Metrobus/rail, except for certain trackwork weekends when I just sell the tickets.

As far as leisure time, I'm not the outdoorsy (camping/active-weekend etc) sort (specifically the thought of spending a weekend in Ocean City holds no allure for me whatsoever) - vacation time for me means Europe, most often London, where for the most part one does not need private transportation of any sort.

I'd be less than truthful if I didn't admit that the lifestyle choice does have its limitations - never getting to see the Baseball Hall of Fame or the Grand Canyon for instance, or visiting Hawaii again where I lived in the early 70's (in fact not driving pretty much puts the whole USA off limits, with the ghastly airfares and poor transport infrastructure, and the fact that most American cities have little, if anything, worth visiting) - but these do not, in my opinion, justify the hideous expence, hassle and risk of driving in this area.

One further consideration: I do drink a lot.

But don't let anyone say that a car-free lifestyle in this area is impossible - it is VERY possible - I've been proving it for over 30 years.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #40: July 10, 2012, 08:16:08 AM »
The reliance on metal rolling coffins is really disheartening. Of course, I'm cised like Sportsfan hearing about a P1 party over this being my next means of grocery shopping transport:

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #41: July 10, 2012, 08:18:34 AM »
The reliance on metal rolling coffins is really disheartening. Of course, I'm cised like Sportsfan hearing about a P1 party over this being my next means of grocery shopping transport:

(Image removed from quote.)

If cars are metal coffins and motorcycles are donor mobiles, what does that make bicycles

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #42: July 10, 2012, 08:22:15 AM »
If cars are metal coffins and motorcycles are donor mobiles, what does that make bicycles

I tend to think of them as suicide machines. Especially when I'm bombing from Capitol Hill at 35mph with no lights on praying that the light stays green.