Author Topic: Nationals @ Braves, Game 3  (Read 24252 times)

Offline JMUalumni

Re: Nationals @ Braves, Game 3
« Reply #500: August 19, 2010, 05:49:36 PM »
Linty / JMU - thanks.  I recalled what Linty did, which was to compare the quality of the pitches and the percentage of times they were thrown (noting the two seamer get the crud hit out of it).  That was nice.  What I had in mind was more recent Lannan v. bad Lannan of earlier in the year.  Are his pitches clustering in a way that shows more control or movement?  Has his release changed?  things like that.  Thanks to both of you for taking this up.

Besides the curveball, most of the other pitches seemed to be consistent in their release point.  It is difficult, however, to analyze the release point on some pitches, as most pitch f/x aggregators stack the data points on top of each other, so there could be minor differences in the change up or slider (he releases the curve the highest of any of his pitches, so the points are more isolated and easier to differentiate) that would have been unnoticeable without me downloading the data and plotting it myself.  If Lannan could put another few decent outings together, then it might be worthwhile for me to go through the data on a more detailed level to determine other more possible similarities (simple or complex) and causes for his success (as well as pitchf/x related reasons for failure).