Author Topic: Sinclair/Diamond Sports bankruptcy watch  (Read 6259 times)

Offline nfotiu

Re: Sinclair/Diamond Sports bankruptcy watch
« Reply #125: December 10, 2023, 05:19:27 PM »
Isn’t it great that MLB is reportedly providing straight up subsidy to two markets that had market forces see their TV deals collapse, while after this market is saddled with its unprecedented and ridiculous TV burden, I don’t see MLB fronting the Nationals with what they are owed.
MLB is getting some carriage fees for their broadcasts.  I'm guessing they are getting the same or close to what Bally's was, since they usually end up on the exact same carriers.   It's not a full subsidy and I think they only promised that subsidy for last year and maybe this year.  MLB was doing this so these teams weren't pressured to taking less from Bally's or including streaming rights.   MLB wants to cut the ties with Bally's and move on to something more future proof.

MLB did front the Nationals the disputed MASN money, but the Orioles used that against them in court saying it made the MLB have a financial interest, so the Nats paid the money back to the MLB so there would be no conflict of interest.

I don't see MLB seeing MLB.tv and a patch work of mlb produced team channels as the end game.  Selling them as a consolidated package to one of the big streamers is the avenue to a possible over payment that gets them money and exposure.