Author Topic: Best way to get to the ballpark (new to the area)  (Read 231 times)

Offline jimbob

I have never been to Washington DC before. I am driving in this summer to see a game, but I am not comfortable with the idea of driving through a busy place like Washington D.C. I was doing some research and I am thinking of parking at the greenbelt metro station and taking the green line to the park (Navy Yard) and back (I have never been on a metro before either). Does this sound like a good plan, or does someone else have a better idea? I am coming from the north of D.C.

Thank you to everyone who can comment!

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Welcome to the area and to WNFF. Sorry for the overnight delay on approving your post (We approve firsts as sort of a bot and spam check).

Are you driving down from the northeast? Then picking up the green line at Greenbelt is pretty simple and direct to the ballpark. I think the Glenmont / Silver Spring portion of the red line is going to go through a shutdown some point this summer so that might not work even with shuttle buses. IF you are coming in from Annapolis on Route 50, then picking up the blue / orange / silver lines New Carrolton or Largo becomes options. Those would involve one metro line switch at a central station, L'Enfant Plaza, and picking up the Green line to the park/ navy yard. When you do the switch, you just have to be sure to catch a green line as there is a second line (the Yellow) that services the same platform and will take you out by the Pentagon on the wrong side of the Potomac.

I don't consider the metro bad and take it home from games when I don't bike. Metro has its issues, so I'll let others pipe in on driving tricks.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
We come from the west. I used to drive but have switched to metro. Parking is plentiful around the ballpark and traffic isn’t usually too bad getting to the area. Lots / garages charge from $25-50. I just find there’s less hassle taking the metro. Weekend fares are $4 per person round trip with free parking.  Agree with JCA, if coming from the north stick with a green line station.

Offline rileyn

I have never been to Washington DC before. I am driving in this summer to see a game, but I am not comfortable with the idea of driving through a busy place like Washington D.C. I was doing some research and I am thinking of parking at the greenbelt metro station and taking the green line to the park (Navy Yard) and back (I have never been on a metro before either). Does this sound like a good plan, or does someone else have a better idea? I am coming from the north of D.C.

If you are coming from the north, YES, the Greenbelt Metro and taking the green line to the game is a perfectly fine/easy enough way to go.  There is plenty of parking at the station and it is usually not crowded at all.  Purchasing a fare card at the machines inside the station are easy enough, just add enough money onto the card for the round trip so that you don't have to do the same thing on the way home.  Easy peasy.  If you do plan to drive (maybe you are going to a weekend game?), there is plenty of nearby parking but it is pricey. 

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness

We live outside of Richmond and took the Metro to a Capitals game at Capital One Arena from Springfield years ago.  Didn't care for it at all...

The prime reasons I can think of not to drive to the Park are: 1.  If you don't have to drive to take the Metro, 2.  You don't have a car, or, 3.  You simply don't want to pay for parking...

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
We live outside of Richmond and took the Metro to a Capitals game at Capital One Arena from Springfield years ago.  Didn't care for it at all...

The prime reasons I can think of not to drive to the Park are: 1.  If you don't have to drive to take the Metro, 2.  You don't have a car, or, 3.  You simply don't want to pay for parking...

For me, given I live about 40 miles from DC, traffic variability is a big issue. It's just more predictable to drive to the Vienna metro and grab the train there versus driving in which can be anywhere from 1-2 hours. Usually, as I said above, it's not too bad, but there have been more than a few times where i've sat in traffic on whatever route Waze said was optimal.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator

Blue line from Springfield to Gallery Place is a lot longer than Green line from Greenbelt to Navy Yard. Greenbelt also avoids beltway or 295 traffic.

PArking at Anacostia is probably cheaper than right at the Park and is a 1 stop ride to Navy Yard. The problem is some may consider it unsafe. I used to do it when I would leave work for Os games. Park on the other side of the river to avoid DC traffic around the office.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
Metro to the game. Don't try to drive. Even poorly attended games are traffic nightmares.

Offline Senatorswin

Yep, do the Greenbelt Metro. Direct line to the stadium and no traffic considerations.

Online Natsinpwc

For me, given I live about 40 miles from DC, traffic variability is a big issue. It's just more predictable to drive to the Vienna metro and grab the train there versus driving in which can be anywhere from 1-2 hours. Usually, as I said above, it's not too bad, but there have been more than a few times where i've sat in traffic on whatever route Waze said was optimal.
Yes. It’s no fun coming from the Springfield metro. Just takes too long and especially for a night game. 

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
If you're coming down from points north and west, you can take 270 to 370, then to the Shady Grove station - end of the Red Line in "western" Montgomery County. One connection you have to make at Gallery Place L'Enfant Plaza to the Green Line. There are route maps in all the train cars, its easy to feel confident.

It's fine. It wouldn't be worth driving around the Beltway to get to the Greenbelt station. That'd just take longer.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
If you're coming down from points north and west, you can take 270 to 370, then to the Shady Grove station - end of the Red Line in "western" Montgomery County. One connection you have to make at L'Enfant Plaza to the Green Line.

It's fine. It wouldn't be worth driving around the Beltway to get to the Greenbelt station. That'd just take longer.

if you are going red from the northwest, isn't the connection at Gallery Place, not L'Enfant?

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Yeah, Its Gallery Place (unless you want to make two connections).

I always look at the map when I get on the train.

Thanks!

if you are going red from the northwest, isn't the connection at Gallery Place, not L'Enfant?

Offline jimbob

Thank you for all the responses and suggestions so far. More specifically, I would be coming from the direction of Lancaster, PA. I was planning to take the I95 to the greenbelt.

Offline IanRubbish

Thank you for all the responses and suggestions so far. More specifically, I would be coming from the direction of Lancaster, PA. I was planning to take the I95 to the greenbelt.

Depends on how much you want to deal with city traffic.  One benefit of coming from the NE is you can use the freeway, 295, all the way to the Douglass Bridge and avoid city streets except for the last few blocks.   Coming from the west,  I used to Metro for weeknight games, drive for weekend games.  If you do Metro, Green Line from Greenbelt is probably easiest as others have said.

Offline rileyn

You have it figured out.  If you are not comfortable driving downtown, take the Greenbelt Metro.  It's a simple exit right off 495, plenty of surface level parking, not crowded, and the green line takes you right to your stop. 

Online Natsinpwc

Have fun.

Offline ethelbertmagnus

Welcome to the area and to WNFF.