Author Topic: Wizards (2023-2024) - Officially Rebuilding  (Read 6049 times)

Online Natsinpwc

Re: Re: Wizards (2022-2023)
« Reply #25: June 17, 2023, 04:15:39 PM »
Wiz and Heat reportedly working on a Beal trade but they are held up on Washington asking for Tyler Herro

Phoenix apparently in on it but they have no firsts to offer. Article notes that could be the Wizards floating that rumor. Which I like as a strategy. Riley is really the last guy you want to deal with in a trade.  Get what you can.  And move KP also.

https://www.bulletsforever.com/2023/6/17/23764691/washington-wizards-bradley-beal-trade-miami-heat-phoenix-suns-shams-charania-2023-nba-trade-rumors

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #26: June 17, 2023, 04:20:57 PM »
Wizards would get the 18 from Miami, I was hoping we'd get something higher. Maybe the plan is to package the 6 and 18 to move up?

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #27: June 17, 2023, 04:25:04 PM »
Wizards would get the 18 from Miami, I was hoping we'd get something higher. Maybe the plan is to package the 6 and 18 to move up?
The basic problem is that only contending teams would want Beal. And they have lower first round picks. Can’t really expect to get much for a guy making $50 million who just missed half the season. And who plays no defense. Maybe Riley and Spoelstra and Butler can scare it into him.

The Suns CEO is the son of Beal’s agent! 

I think we should think of someone like Herro or Ayton as guys who will be traded later on for draft picks. Team is going into a full rebuild for a few years. They won’t sniff the playoffs.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #28: June 18, 2023, 04:35:47 PM »
Suns "win" the Beal sweepstakes per espn

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #30: June 18, 2023, 04:43:06 PM »
Happy he didn’t go to the Heat although the return there might have been better. freak Riley.

Sounds like they opted for multiple second round picks versus one first round. Assume they would do something with Chris Paul rather than keep him.

Now sign and trade Kuzma and KP. 

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #31: June 18, 2023, 04:47:14 PM »
Can't they just decline their options?

Offline imref

« Reply #32: June 18, 2023, 05:09:24 PM »
$150 million in cap savings over three years. I’d be surprised if Paul ends up playing in DC

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #33: June 18, 2023, 06:47:53 PM »
Can't they just decline their options?
KP and Kuzma?  Yes. That why you try a sign and trade so you get something for them.  Hopefully expiring contracts and picks.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #34: June 18, 2023, 08:07:42 PM »
So the latest I have seen say Beal turned down the Miami offer.  Not surprising as they would make him play defense there.  The Suns will be the Nets West!

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #35: June 18, 2023, 09:19:53 PM »
The basic problem is that only contending teams would want Beal. And they have lower first round picks. Can’t really expect to get much for a guy making $50 million who just missed half the season. And who plays no defense. Maybe Riley and Spoelstra and Butler can scare it into him.

The Suns CEO is the son of Beal’s agent! 

I think we should think of someone like Herro or Ayton as guys who will be traded later on for draft picks. Team is going into a full rebuild for a few years. They won’t sniff the playoffs.

The knicks have the wizards 2024 pick. That’s the best they could hope to get for Beal

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #36: June 18, 2023, 09:38:02 PM »
The knicks have the wizards 2024 pick. That’s the best they could hope to get for Beal
That pick is still protected. Top 12 stays with the Wizards in 2024. No way they will lose it to the Knock next year. Think it’s top 6 protected the year after that. The Wizards will be drafting on the top 3/4 the next couple of years.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #38: June 19, 2023, 01:57:10 PM »
If we trade Beal to any team for spare parts, do we give or get picks? The new salary cap hammers teams that go over the second apron. Beal is 47.7 million next year and goes up to 57 million in 26-27 (assuming he waives his 15% trade kicker). That much for an injury prone guard who isn't a particularly great three point shooter and who can't pay defense seems like insanity for a contending team

The answer turns out to be nothing. We traded him for expirings and swaps that won’t happen

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #39: June 19, 2023, 02:03:03 PM »
Reading the details, the Wizards seem to have a pushover GM now. Beal said suns and he said ok. With literally nothing coming back, he could have played Beal 5 min a night until a better deal came along

Offline imref

« Reply #40: June 19, 2023, 02:42:49 PM »
Reporting is that Beal wouldn’t go to Miami even though they offered a better deal. He preferred Phoenix. The NTC handcuffed the team. Isiah Todd is also going to Phoenix.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #41: June 19, 2023, 02:58:26 PM »
Reporting is that Beal wouldn’t go to Miami even though they offered a better deal. He preferred Phoenix. The NTC handcuffed the team. Isiah Todd is also going to Phoenix.
Yea. That is what I read and posted here yesterday. Today there is some news out of Miami that they pulled their deal.  That might just be trying to spin. In the end we will never know. Problem was the Phoenix has no first round picks.  And Beal had the final say. The good news is that their first round pick is top 12 protected this year and top ten in 2025. And top 8 in 2026. Turns into second round picks after that. So by tanking they won’t lose the pick. So I would think they would want to move CP3. And KP if he opts in. Full tank mode the next two three years. Too bad they didn’t start earlier as this was the year to be tanking. Ted and Tommy really screwed things up. I still can’t believe they have Beal a NTC. Just friggin unbelievable.

Have not read the details on second round picks acquired.  The pick swaps seem unlikely to happen. Team will be bad but Ted gets to clear the salary decks after this year.  Let’s hope they kick into some good picks and can find some other players from other sources like Miami does.

In the end someone had to go for broke rather than settling for 30-40’wins a year.

Offline imref

« Reply #42: June 19, 2023, 04:51:30 PM »
clearing cap space won't really get them anywhere since no decent FA will want to come here. We're not going to go anywhere unless we get a top 3 the next few years and get ourselves a couple of superstars. It's going to be a tough few years. 

Hopefully they can deal Porzingas for some value.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #43: June 19, 2023, 05:54:24 PM »

They could have said Miami or enjoy playing 10 minutes a night with no rest days. This does nothing for the team.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #44: June 19, 2023, 06:02:52 PM »
Yea. That is what I read and posted here yesterday. Today there is some news out of Miami that they pulled their deal.  That might just be trying to spin. In the end we will never know. Problem was the Phoenix has no first round picks.  And Beal had the final say. The good news is that their first round pick is top 12 protected this year and top ten in 2025. And top 8 in 2026. Turns into second round picks after that. So by tanking they won’t lose the pick. So I would think they would want to move CP3. And KP if he opts in. Full tank mode the next two three years. Too bad they didn’t start earlier as this was the year to be tanking. Ted and Tommy really screwed things up. I still can’t believe they have Beal a NTC. Just friggin unbelievable.

Have not read the details on second round picks acquired.  The pick swaps seem unlikely to happen. Team will be bad but Ted gets to clear the salary decks after this year.  Let’s hope they kick into some good picks and can find some other players from other sources like Miami does.

In the end someone had to go for broke rather than settling for 30-40’wins a year.

The thing is that Beal didn’t have final say, the team did. The nice part about not being a free agent destination is that making Beal’s next year miserable until he agreed to a trade would scare anyone off because no one was coming to begin with. Trading Beal for nothing is the most Wizards move possible- we’re starting a tank by getting fewer assets

Offline imref

« Reply #45: June 19, 2023, 06:40:42 PM »
The thing is that Beal didn’t have final say, the team did. The nice part about not being a free agent destination is that making Beal’s next year miserable until he agreed to a trade would scare anyone off because no one was coming to begin with. Trading Beal for nothing is the most Wizards move possible- we’re starting a tank by getting fewer assets

i almost would have rather seen them keep Beal and KP and try to add some pieces rather that free up tons of cap space for guys that aren't going to come to DC.

Davis was looking like a stud at the end of the year, and they likely add Anthony Black out of Arkansas this year. Obviously they weren't going to have a chance at winning the east, but i'd rather watch a borderline playoff team than a team that will be lucky to win 15 games next season.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #46: June 19, 2023, 07:08:20 PM »
i almost would have rather seen them keep Beal and KP and try to add some pieces rather that free up tons of cap space for guys that aren't going to come to DC.

Davis was looking like a stud at the end of the year, and they likely add Anthony Black out of Arkansas this year. Obviously they weren't going to have a chance at winning the east, but i'd rather watch a borderline playoff team than a team that will be lucky to win 15 games next season.
Please no. This has gone on for 40 years. Davis is a bust.  Title contender or tank. Enough of the delusional moves to act like the team could build around Beal.  And if you improve a little or even stay the same you lose your first round pick in 2024.

The point is to have cap space after you draft some good young players. They will have the chance to do the latter the next few years.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #47: June 19, 2023, 07:10:22 PM »
No they needed to move on right away. More likely he would get hurt or continue to put up lackluster games. Bad scene for a young team. The purpose of the move was to shed salary sooner and draft higher. They have pretty much guaranteed keeping the Knicks pick now.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #48: June 19, 2023, 08:01:21 PM »
No they needed to move on right away. More likely he would get hurt or continue to put up lackluster games. Bad scene for a young team. The purpose of the move was to shed salary sooner and draft higher. They have pretty much guaranteed keeping the Knicks pick now.

This time last year, before what everyone agreed was an amazing draft, I’d agree. 2024 is supposed to be a terrible draft and the wizard may not even have a pick in 2025. I don’t see how Beal for nothing helps the rebuild at all

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #49: June 19, 2023, 08:17:10 PM »
This time last year, before what everyone agreed was an amazing draft, I’d agree. 2024 is supposed to be a terrible draft and the wizard may not even have a pick in 2025. I don’t see how Beal for nothing helps the rebuild at all
Why would the Wizards not have a pick in 2025? It’s top 10 protected that year and 8 for 2026. The Knicks will never get that pick. We are getting top three picks the next two drafts. There are always some good players.

But you are right. They should have ranked for this year and let Brad walk.  Ted and Tommy are so dumb.