Author Topic: The Garage  (Read 67592 times)

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: The Garage
« Reply #875: March 06, 2019, 11:41:34 AM »
The Model S is pretty. The Model 3 just looks weird... Lost something when they were scaling it down.

My friend has one though... it goes like hell.

the reviews on the model 3 have been pretty good, save for complaints about the cheap looking steering wheel.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #876: March 06, 2019, 11:43:26 AM »
the reviews on the model 3 have been pretty good, save for complaints about the cheap looking steering wheel.

Yeah, it's purely my opinion of the aesthetics. It's a blast to drive.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #877: March 06, 2019, 11:53:34 AM »

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-reliability-owner-satisfaction/tesla-model-3-loses-cr-recommendation-over-reliability-issues/

I'm note sure I'd want to buy a tesla right now- between their huge price cuts, 180 degree shift on retail and balance sheet crunch, they're in a pretty perilous position now

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #878: March 07, 2019, 02:47:42 PM »
When does Musk pull a DeLorean?

Offline wj73

« Reply #879: March 09, 2019, 01:28:19 PM »
I actually wouldn’t buy any electric car right now - the technology is changing so fast that a car purchased today will be obsolete in just a few years. Leasing is the way we’ve gone at this point.

We’ve leased 2 Nissan Leafs now - a 2012, then a 2016. Loveed, loved, loved them both. Waiting now for an AWD version. Supposedly Nissan has an AWD EV coming out next year or in 2021. Once we can get an AWD in an EV, we will never go back to an old-fashioned internal combustion engine again.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #880: March 09, 2019, 02:10:16 PM »
My issue with EV's is range and recharge times.  Until I can go 400 miles on a charge and have a 10 minute full recharge, it ain't in the cards...

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #881: March 09, 2019, 02:12:17 PM »
It would have to be a second car, but I could see getting one for a commuter care, the lack of road trips would keep it from ever being the primary car

Online imref

« Reply #882: March 09, 2019, 04:39:02 PM »
My issue with EV's is range and recharge times.  Until I can go 400 miles on a charge and have a 10 minute full recharge, it ain't in the cards...

Tesla’s  next gen super charger will drastically reduce charging time.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #883: March 10, 2019, 09:21:42 PM »
My son's taking his 1990 Miata up to Summit Point this Friday for 5 driving sessions - 4  15 minute supervised (an instructor riding in the passenger seat) sessions around one of the tracks, learning how to take the turns, heel & toe downshifting, etc, plus a session on a drift pad in one of their cars.  Last weekend we drove the Miata over to his instructor's house, put it up on a lift and he went over it with a fine tooth comb.  He even called a Miata guy who came over with more specific advice and findings.   

https://summitpoint-raceway.com/programs/friday-at-the-track/

Offline Nick the Pig

« Reply #884: March 10, 2019, 10:15:15 PM »
My son's taking his 1990 Miata up to Summit Point this Friday for 5 driving sessions - 4  15 minute supervised (an instructor riding in the passenger seat) sessions around one of the tracks, learning how to take the turns, heel & toe downshifting, etc, plus a session on a drift pad in one of their cars.  Last weekend we drove the Miata over to his instructor's house, put it up on a lift and he went over it with a fine tooth comb.  He even called a Miata guy who came over with more specific advice and findings.   

https://summitpoint-raceway.com/programs/friday-at-the-track/

That's kinda cool !

Is your son a heterosexual ?  Just askin'...

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #885: March 11, 2019, 11:43:42 AM »
 :doh:

Miatas are very popular in the club racing community.

That's kinda cool !

Is your son a heterosexual ?  Just askin'...

Offline Nick the Pig

« Reply #886: March 13, 2019, 07:46:26 PM »

The new VW Bugs are popular too.  For women.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #887: March 13, 2019, 07:59:58 PM »
:smh:
The new VW Bugs are popular too.  For women.

Offline Nick the Pig

« Reply #888: March 13, 2019, 08:12:13 PM »
:smh:

Do you want to discuss this, or just do the emoji thing ?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #889: March 13, 2019, 08:33:53 PM »

They're cheap (he paid $3,500 for his 1990 with 100k miles on it), parts are cheap and widely available, and they're easy to work on.

He was out there tonight trying to assess if he could go for putting reinforcement frame rails on, or is it a bridge too far for Friday.  Yes, it is too far.  Some previous owner probably ran it hard up over a curve, and the existing frame rails (visible in the undercarriage) are damaged, obviously weakened.  He would want to shore them up for rigidity regardless, but no time left.

Also, he's got a small transmission fluid leak, and nothing will get you track banned faster than fluid leaks.   Since buying it in June he's replaced the wheels and tires with upsized versions, raised the suspension (the previous owner had lowered it too far, the tires would rub in high speed turns), replaced the brake lines with metal ones (to mitigate excessive swelling with heat that softens brake response). He's done quite a bit of cosmetic work too, including rust repair and getting the rag top back in working order.  It came with roll cage, so he's good there. 

One possible inspection issue - apparently it's a thing that people will cut off a portion of the top valve lifter cover to view the belt and gears (cam?) and thus it's open to the air.  His Miata guy told his instructor that he had no safety concern so we're thinking that when they find it in inspection, the instructor will relay the lack of concern and they'll let it pass.  It is WV, after all.  And, the backup story is it allows them to inspect the belt visually.   :hysterical:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #890: March 16, 2019, 07:25:23 PM »
Track report, in texts.

10:27 am
Engine died.  Is anyone free to pick me up later this afternoon?  Not sure whether we can fix here

:?

11:17 am
Fixed, some plug came undone and we fixed it with duct tape

:hysterical:

1:19 pm
I think 5th gear is broken.  Will send update, I can probably limp it home

1:27 pm
I could get it into fifth when I drove it around just now, but the gear level sort of slips out and I just don't know what's wrong

Me: 
Not accustomed to having fluid I'm guessing.  Are you able to do your track sessions?

I'll try do another, I don't really need fifth

:crackup:

2:13 pm
Transmission issue is probably no big deal, pretty sure I can fix it

Me: 
WD-40

4:47 pm
Got it fixed and got 3 more laps in the third session.  3/4 way through the 4th engine power was cut off like I lifted off the gas, but I didn't

His mom: 
This has become a shakedown cruise

A $300 one at that.

Me: 
Sounds like the 61 Falcon issue

So the first problem, there's apparently a clip that holds a vacuum line in that commonly breaks off, the duct tape worked but they routed the line close to the intake manifold which caused heat in the line, probably causing problem 3.  The transmission issue was a broken plastic bushing, and there is actually a Miata shop on premises at Summit, he walked over and got a replacement part for $8.    :hysterical:  They didn't have the clip in stock, hence the duct tape.

He had an aftermarket air filter thing that may have contributed to the heat issue so he put the stock one back on today, more work to follow.  The 61 Falcon, our neighbor across the street bought a used '61 Falcon station wagon in Stephens City last weekend for $300 and drove it home, but it died in his driveway due to a heat buildup in the carburetor that sizzles the gas so it won't burn properly.  It actually is very similar effect to what my son's Miata was having.

BTW, that Falcon was headed to the dump, but it's got a really nice body on it for $300.

Online imref

« Reply #891: March 16, 2019, 07:46:11 PM »
love the line about it being a "shakedown cruise" - we have our first Philmont shakedown hike coming up soon, I wish I could bring a miata. :)

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #892: March 16, 2019, 08:28:41 PM »
Duct tape really does work on anything. Teacher here used it on his middle school students. Unfortunately he was caught.

Offline Nick the Pig

« Reply #893: March 17, 2019, 07:13:59 PM »

Online imref

Offline GburgNatsFan

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #896: March 25, 2019, 12:56:47 PM »
If I was in the market for a ranger or Tacoma, I think I’d take this instead

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #897: March 25, 2019, 01:01:55 PM »
If I was in the market for a ranger or Tacoma, I think I’d take this instead

Unless you take quality into account. Fiat and Chrysler corporate structures both influencing quality... shudder.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #898: March 25, 2019, 02:48:24 PM »
Unless you take quality into account. Fiat and Chrysler corporate structures both influencing quality... shudder.

It's hard to shake a bad reputation...especially when you still make Fiats...

My 2012 RAM may be the best built vehicle I have ever owned.  Only had my JEEP Grand Cherokee for 6 months now, but it's right up there as well so far...

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #899: March 25, 2019, 03:03:18 PM »
I’ve heard Ram and Jeep are somehow immune from Chrysler