Poll

Designated hitter?

DH
5 (18.5%)
No DH
22 (81.5%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Author Topic: DH or no DH?  (Read 1773 times)

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
DH or no DH?
« Topic Start: May 23, 2007, 09:11:25 PM »
...that is the question.  I'm sure some of you like the current system, but I would like it to be universalized, one or the other.

So the question is: if the rule was to be made the same for both leagues, would you like to see the DH or no DH in both leagues?

My vote: no DH.

nospinzone1

Re: DH or no DH?
« Reply #1: May 23, 2007, 09:31:26 PM »
as far as that is concerned I am old fasjhioned. It changes aspects of the game as it was invented. Pitchers that get tired like it happened the other day with Bedard by running the bases can change the complexion of a game. It also takes away from strategy by managers.

« Reply #2: May 23, 2007, 09:45:24 PM »
No DH, 2K-san.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #3: May 23, 2007, 11:10:39 PM »
If it HAD to be one or the other, I'd say no DH for various reasons, but I like the way it is now.  If you take away the DH in the AL, there's no difference between the two leagues, really.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #4: May 23, 2007, 11:55:38 PM »
As much as most people would prefer there not be a DH, there's no chance in hell that the player's union will give it up, because, quite simply, it can add years to some player's careers. The player's union is filled with a lot of older players who need the DH to lengthen their playing years.

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #5: May 24, 2007, 12:01:50 AM »
As much as most people would prefer there not be a DH, there's no chance in hell that the player's union will give it up, because, quite simply, it can add years to some player's careers. The player's union is filled with many older players who need the DH to lengthen their playing years.

Yup, it creates too many more jobs.

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
« Reply #6: May 24, 2007, 06:51:43 AM »
Having the DH universalized would make managing too easy. There would be no double switching or taking a pitcher out in the 6th inning when he still has good stuff but there are men in scoring position with 2 outs and the possible runs are more important. Or anything else resembling actual strategy.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #7: May 24, 2007, 08:44:20 AM »
No DH - and watching Nats baseball these past three seasons (with resulting heavy exposure to the NL style) has just reinforced my feelings. Long live strategy!

« Reply #8: May 24, 2007, 10:47:53 AM »
No DH!

Offline Ray D

« Reply #9: May 24, 2007, 03:38:45 PM »
If eveyone in the world hates the DH (and you can add me to the list) why is it still around?

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #10: May 24, 2007, 03:39:17 PM »
The DH is evil and needs to be destroyed.

I, too, like the strategy with double switches, whether to keep a hot starter in during a close and late AB, even whether to pitch to the #8 batter to bring up the pitcher.  I even like the impact not having the DH place on the #8 batter.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #11: May 24, 2007, 04:01:46 PM »
What I like is when a manager is able to get his pitcher to the plate with an opportunity for a meaningful plate appearance, i.e. to be able to bunt. Has to be less than two outs, runner at first or first and second, or no outs and runner at third.  When you can get your pitcher to the plate in one of those situations you don't waste an out - if the pitcher can bunt, that is, and shame on the pitcher who can't. It's a clever manager who is able to do this often. 

For me, this aspect of the game enriches it dramatically. All that is lost with the DH.

Offline Rojo Johnson

• formerly Southeast Jerome
  • nages leave
« Reply #12: May 24, 2007, 04:06:40 PM »
Let the pitcher hit.  It makes the game more interesting, such as do you pinch hit for the pitcher or stuff like that.  it's hard to explain to my wife, who grew up watching the American League, that pitchers actually hit. 

Offline saltydad

« Reply #13: May 24, 2007, 04:09:12 PM »
Definitely no DH.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #14: May 24, 2007, 04:10:53 PM »
Maybe they should change the rule to allow a designated runner instead of hitter. That way the guys with legs but no bat, no glove can be useful to their respective teams.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #15: May 24, 2007, 04:16:01 PM »
Which two people are actually pro-DH?  Speak up!

I used to be pro-DH, but I love the strategies involved when it's taken out of the game.  It makes the manager's job more important.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #16: May 24, 2007, 04:23:33 PM »
Maybe they should change the rule to allow a designated runner instead of hitter. That way the guys with legs but no bat, no glove can be useful to their respective teams.

I'm thinking they should have a DHP - Designated Harmonica Player - on each team.  That way, the guy who can't swing the bat, pitch, field or run, but whose lips are still skilled, could fill a niche role on the bench, serenading his teammates. 

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
« Reply #17: May 24, 2007, 05:32:04 PM »

I used to be pro-DH, but I love the strategies involved when it's taken out of the game.  It makes the manager's job more important.
I like the DH and I'm going to pass on arguing with the entire message board.   :P

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #18: May 24, 2007, 05:46:07 PM »
I didn't vote but I don't have an issue with the DH either way. The argument that letting the pitcher hit is the way baseball should be played and is the 'pure' way doesn't fly with me considering that baseball has had changes since its invention.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #19: May 24, 2007, 11:25:39 PM »

I doubt you stand outside voting booths each November asking people who they voted for, so why are you doing it in here?

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #20: May 25, 2007, 07:36:55 AM »
I doubt you stand outside voting booths each November asking people who they voted for, so why are you doing it in here?

Actually, that happens all the time.  Twice I have been stopped by a reporter as I exited the Masonic Hall (our local voting station) for exit polling.  After the 2004 elections, when asked by a reporter, my response was, "This morning, and twice this afternoon, I voted for Bush.  This time (it was early evening) I voted for Kerry ."

Offline saltydad

« Reply #21: May 25, 2007, 07:22:42 PM »
Actually, that happens all the time.  Twice I have been stopped by a reporter as I exited the Masonic Hall (our local voting station) for exit polling.  After the 2004 elections, when asked by a reporter, my response was, "This morning, and twice this afternoon, I voted for Bush.  This time (it was early evening) I voted for Kerry ."
:rofl: :rofl:

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #22: May 25, 2007, 08:46:57 PM »
It won't be changed, but I'd like to see the DH eliminated in both leagues. I just like the actual strategy involved when the pitcher is up and guys are on base late in a game.

Plus, it's funny to see pitchers try to hit.

natsfan1a

« Reply #23: May 29, 2007, 03:08:50 PM »
I also like the strategizing in NL games, so no DH. It's funny seeing some pitchers hit, but others can swing the bat rather well (paging Matt Chico).

Offline soxfan59

• Gough, Gough White Sox!!!
    • John R. Russell, Ltd.
« Reply #24: May 29, 2007, 06:28:02 PM »
Having the DH universalized would make managing too easy. There would be no double switching or taking a pitcher out in the 6th inning when he still has good stuff but there are men in scoring position with 2 outs and the possible runs are more important. Or anything else resembling actual strategy.

I actually am pro-DH.  Yeah, that's surprising, coming from a fan of an American League team, eh? 

The argument about strategy falls flat for me.  Most of the pinch hit/double switch moves i see in NL games are as predictable as anything else -- if a pitcher is a poor hitter, and its a close game, he'll be pinch hit for, unless the roster is deep enough to pull the switch, etc.  I would argue that the DH rule simply alters the strategy.  While a manager no longer has to worry about pinch hitting for the pitcher, he has to watch more carefully, and pull his pitcher based solely on how he's throwing (at least 75% of the time, maybe more, if a late game situation calls for a pinch hitter in the NL, the manager WILL pinch hit for the pitcher, regardless of how well the pitcher is throwing.  With almost any pitcher in the NL, if you're a run down, a guy on base late in a close game, the manager will pinch hit). Indeed, early on in the history of the DH in the AL, Billy Martin, then manager of the A's, paid little attention to his starting pitchers, and burned them out, overusing his starting staff.  Its a much more subtle strategy.  The other thing the DH offers is instead of a poor hitting pitcher or a mediocre bench player coming to bat, you usually have a well established star-level professional hitter in that slot.   For all the hoopla about pitchers occasionally coming through with a hit, or the crafty bench player getting the key base hit, most of the time, this doesn't happen.  I'd rather have the excitement of seeing a Frank Thomas or a David Ortiz facing your bullpen ace in that situation.

Now don't get me wrong -- I like the game when the pitcher bats too.  Its just a different strategy, and I have become accustomed to the DH rule as a fan of the White Sox.  There is sort of a snobby arrogance amongst the national league fans I know -- hey, the game is just better, more pure, in the NL.  Pish posh!  Its just different.  And, by the way, only two professional leagues in all the world DON'T use the DH -- the NL, and one of the top leagues in Japan.  (Of course, most of the NL fans I know are Cubs fans, so I guess such comments must be considered in light of the lack of logic, brain power, and objectivity such fans possess).

In fact, if eliminating the DH would make both leagues rules the same, I would go for that.  There might be a way to get around the players' unions objections.  If baseball were to expand again and add two teams (making a total of 32) and potentially expand rosters by one or two players, the increase in the ability for aging players (i.e. Frank Thomas, Jim Thome, etc) to compete for jobs would be there, and the DH could be effectively eliminated at the same time the last two teams are added.