Author Topic: The Garage  (Read 67805 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: The Garage
« Reply #750: May 27, 2018, 01:12:51 PM »
Watching the Indy 500 and it dawned on me that I was there with my late father 50 years ago for the 1968 Bobby Unser win...

Wow.  Must be a great memory.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #751: May 27, 2018, 01:21:11 PM »
Wow.  Must be a great memory.

It really is...we flew in from Chicago, took a cab and arrived right after the start, bought $5 General Admission tickets and promptly walked under the tunnel and into the seats right on the start finish line...  :hysterical:

I drove a stock car there at the now defunct Richard Petty Driving Experience last summer...somewhat slower than these cats are going today...

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #752: May 27, 2018, 01:24:52 PM »
Watching the Indy 500 and it dawned on me that I was there with my late father 50 years ago for the 1968 Bobby Unser win...
Cool. I remember more the late race Andy Granateli car collapses. Was that Mario Andretti one year and Bobby Unser another? 

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #753: May 27, 2018, 01:26:40 PM »
Cool. I remember more the late race Andy Granateli car collapses. Was that Mario Andretti one year and Bobby Unser another?

Andretti won in 1969.  Those turbine powered STP cars were good for about 190 laps or so...  ;)

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #754: May 27, 2018, 01:33:43 PM »
Andretti won in 1969.  Those turbine powered STP cars were good for about 190 laps or so...  ;)
Yea. That was probably 1966-67 then?  I don't believe it was on tv live back then so remember listening with Dad on the radio as he got the BBQ ready.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #755: May 27, 2018, 01:37:07 PM »
Looked it up. General admission is $40. $35 if you buy in advance. That's not bad.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #756: May 27, 2018, 01:39:11 PM »
I see Danica Patrick crashed. That's a shocker.  :hysterical:

Thought she retired?  If not, she should.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #757: May 27, 2018, 01:48:27 PM »

This was her last race of any sort...

My wife and I met her here in Richmond in 2009.  She was a likable sort...

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #758: May 28, 2018, 11:49:29 AM »

She's on to her new career as a professional beard.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #759: June 23, 2018, 06:41:57 AM »
What a godsend youtube is for researching any kind of "how to" projects you want to tackle yourself.  I got an air filter and cabin air filter (from amazon) for the new car and after doing a half second search in youtube there were dozens of videos available on the easy, peasy steps involved. I saved all kinds of money that the dealer would've clipped me for that I can now spend on other things.  :mg:

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #760: June 23, 2018, 08:42:33 AM »
What a godsend youtube is for researching any kind of "how to" projects you want to tackle yourself.  I got an air filter and cabin air filter (from amazon) for the new car and after doing a half second search in youtube there were dozens of videos available on the easy, peasy steps involved. I saved all kinds of money that the dealer would've clipped me for that I can now spend on other things.  :mg:

Walked to get the mail at the community mailbox.    On the way back, I noticed the neighbor across the street was working on one of his cars in the driveway (semi-regular activity).    At the far end of the garage, he had a screen set up and had a Youtube how to video projected in HD.    Pretty cool set up.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #761: June 23, 2018, 10:43:44 AM »
Walked to get the mail at the community mailbox.    On the way back, I noticed the neighbor across the street was working on one of his cars in the driveway (semi-regular activity).    At the far end of the garage, he had a screen set up and had a Youtube how to video projected in HD.    Pretty cool set up.

You didn't tell him to turn off the TV that you were taking over from here?  :mg:

Offline mitlen

« Reply #762: June 23, 2018, 10:45:42 AM »
You didn't tell him to turn off the TV that you were taking over from here?  :mg:

I'm not a manual skills guy.    I'm a brain man.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #763: June 23, 2018, 10:52:49 AM »
I'm not a manual skills guy.    I'm a brain man.

Ok, so I see why you didn't last long in the mills.  ;)

Offline mitlen

« Reply #764: June 23, 2018, 10:53:43 AM »
Ok, so I see why you didn't last long in the mills.  ;)

That and PA wasn't big enough for me and my dad at the time.    One of us had to go.    :)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #765: June 23, 2018, 06:27:51 PM »

On the other hand, it's been more than once I've seen something done on youtube that is relatively straightforwards such that I convince myself to tackle the chore, only to run into unanticipated complications.  Cars seem to be rife with these.  Today we rotated my son and daughter's tires, so 8 removed and moved.  Man, some of those nuts were incredibly tight, I had to use a pipe to get leverage on the wrench.  Then, the wheels were frozen to the hub with rust.   Had to saturate with PB blaster and beat on the tires with a sledge to get the wheels freed up. 

Leverage is a double edged sword - last time youtube convinced me I could replace the shocks on my wife's Honda Pilot, I was having trouble turning the bolt so I employed leverage, so much so that I sheared the bolt off inside the shock.  And it was very inaccessible in there.  I had to drive to my local car shop and beg understanding.    :-[

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #766: June 24, 2018, 11:25:11 AM »
On the other hand, it's been more than once I've seen something done on youtube that is relatively straightforwards such that I convince myself to tackle the chore, only to run into unanticipated complications.  Cars seem to be rife with these.

Today’s task was replacing the rear wiper blade. I couldn’t swivel it up to get access so I had to run to YouTube to see how it’s done. Oh the inhumanity, checking YouTube to replace a freakin wiper blade! Anyway it turns out the Goodyear blade I got at Costco won’t work so I ordered one off amazon that the guy used in his video. I wonder if this is another marketing tool used by amazon to get us to buy their products?  :hysterical:

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #769: July 09, 2018, 08:51:17 AM »
Stuff happens. I burnt my toast this morning.
Yea, but does your insurance replace your toast?

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #770: July 09, 2018, 08:59:42 AM »
Yea, but does your insurance replace your toast?
Let me read the policy.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #771: July 09, 2018, 09:29:27 AM »
Let me read the policy.

I do know that State Farm will replace my umbrella if it is lost or damaged...

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #774: July 16, 2018, 09:54:59 AM »
The department shared an image of the smashed car on Facebook with the caption: "Purchased Friday. Totaled Saturday." The post added that speed was the main factor in the crash and warned drivers to "slow down, or it could cost you."

I'm sure someone spent 300k on a McCalren to go the speed limit.