Poll

Should Strasburg be shut down for the 2012 season before the playoffs?

Stras should be shut down when he's reached the limit determined by management and consistent with his doctors' recommendations.
84 (65.1%)
This may be our best shot at going deep into the playoffs, you can't shut our ace down.  Let him pitch.
26 (20.2%)
I can't decide.
9 (7%)
Shut up. It's a done deal.  Move on already.
10 (7.8%)

Total Members Voted: 129

Author Topic: Poll: Should Strasburg be shut down before the playoffs?  (Read 30890 times)

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
I'd wager that the Braves only pitched Medlen out the bullpen because they had no idea he'd be this effective - not some great foresight about conserving innings.  Unless you can convince me that the Braves are happy about being six or seven games back and fighting for one of two wild card spots.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
So Stras should have pitched 2 innings every 5 days and John Lannan should have gotten ten starts instead of Stras?

I mean it's not like we didn't have Morse, or a healthy Zim and couldn't hit the broad side of the barn or anything.  There's no chance that pitching wasn't the single reason the Nats were able to stay in contention to start the year  ...

So yeah - right ... sounds like a good plan   :thumbs:

Offline PC

I'd wager that the Braves only pitched Medlen out the bullpen because they had no idea he'd be this effective - not some great foresight about conserving innings.  Unless you can convince me that the Braves are happy about being six or seven games back and fighting for one of two wild card spots.

Looking at his previous seasons, he's pitching WAY over his head, this season.

Offline NatsDad14

Looking at his previous seasons, he's pitching WAY over his head, this season.

You could say the same for the whole Nats rotation. Every single one of them are pitching at around career best levels. Thats why you have to pitch Strasburg this year. There is like a 1% chance the Nats get this kind of health luck again in the next few years.

Offline DPMOmaha

Had some local football legend, yes, a Nebraska football legend, give his opinion on Strasburg on the radio today.  ugh...

The only thing worse than baseball giving uninformed opinions on Strasburg is "local-radio-guy-who-doesn't-live-anywhere-close-to-DC-and-doesn't-follow-the-Nats-but-was-a-professional-athlete-so-he-knows-best" giving his uninformed opinion on Strasburg.

Online welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
Had some local football legend, yes, a Nebraska football legend, give his opinion on Strasburg on the radio today.  ugh...

The only thing worse than baseball giving uninformed opinions on Strasburg is "local-radio-guy-who-doesn't-live-anywhere-close-to-DC-and-doesn't-follow-the-Nats-but-was-a-professional-athlete-so-he-knows-best" giving his uninformed opinion on Strasburg.

I don't know...Skip Bayless asked Red Grange, Sammy Baugh, Jim Thorpe, and George Halas: "Don't you agree that the Nationals are committing treason to Sport by shutting down Stephen Strassburg?" They refused to answer, no matter how loudly Less-Bay repeated the question.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
CHIN

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
I don't know...Skip Bayless asked Red Grange, Sammy Baugh, Jim Thorpe, and George Halas: "Don't you agree that the Nationals are committing treason to Sport by shutting down Stephen Strassburg?" They refused to answer, no matter how loudly Less-Bay repeated the question.

Maybe they didn't recognize the name with the additional "s" added.   :shrug:

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
Uh Oh

Spelling Nazi is not pleased :nono:

Online HalfSmokes

And if the braves loose a one game wild card game and never make the real playoffs?

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
Am I the only person here who really thinks a playoff rotation of Gonzalez/Zimmermann/Jackson would be just fine?

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT

LaVar referred to Tyler Clippard in a conversation about the closer when Drew Storen was about to return as a "backup" pitcher.  He doesn't understands nothing.

Offline houston-nat

Am I the only person here who really thinks a playoff rotation of Gonzalez/Zimmermann/Jackson would be just fine?

Yes, but I think a playoff rotation of Gonzalez/Zimmermann/Jackson/Detwiler would be awesome. ;) Seriously, we can win playoff games with those guys. And if Detwiler has one of his 6th inning stumbles, you have two very solid long guys in Stammen and Lannan. I'm only slightly worried.

I think if/when we get bounced from the playoffs it will be because we quite simply faced a better team.

Offline PC

I think if/when we get bounced from the playoffs it will be because we quite simply faced a better team.

HERETIC!!!

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT

There are better teams in the playoffs?  Do we have to play the NL All-Star Team or something? :P

Offline sportsfan882

If Jordan Zimmermann would only start pitching to his potential again.

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
If Jordan Zimmermann would only start pitching to his potential again.

Because pitchers never have slumps.  We should just react to every pitching slump the way we reacted to Detwiler's earlier this season.  Let's pull Zimmermann and insert Wang :couch:

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
I guess so, for there's no reason not to include Detwiler

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
I guess so, for there's no reason not to include Detwiler

Fourth starter is almost a sort of "spot starter" in a way.  I left him out because the top three will make more starts.

Offline hammondsnats

i don't know why people keep comparing medlen to strasburg ... strasburg helped PUT THIS CLUB IN THE POSITION THEY ARE IN NOW!!!  that's all that matters. 

do I want Strasburg in the playoffs?!?!  ABSOLUTELY.  but i'd rather win the division and get to the playoffs, then worry about the last week and be in the position the braves are in (assuming we win the division).

maybe the braves should've gone to the nats school of shutting pitchers down and started medlen in the beginning of the year and the Atlanta Braves would be the ballclub 31 games over .500 and #1 team in baseball, rather than the Washington Nationals.

Offline sportsfan882

Wow, people are freaking retarded. Some dumb freak just asked Rizzo on the call-in show why he isn't letting Stras pitch against the Dodgers so he would have his last start in front of home crowd because season ticket holders deserve it.

Offline hammondsnats

Wow, people are freaking retarded. Some dumb freak just asked Rizzo on the call-in show why he isn't letting Stras pitch against the Dodgers so he would have his last start in front of home crowd because season ticket holders deserve it.

agreed ... who gives a crap. 

bryce harper got his MLB debut in LA and the same nats fans (cough cough SBF) who go for the racing presidents, free t-shirts and half smokes were all nagging about it.

WHO CARES.  IT'S A PROFESSIONAL SPORT.

Offline Mathguy

So Hammondsnats - you've come around to the fact Strasburg being shut down is best for the team and Strasburg ?

agreed ... who gives a crap. 

bryce harper got his MLB debut in LA and the same nats fans (cough cough SBF) who go for the racing presidents, free t-shirts and half smokes were all nagging about it.

WHO CARES.  IT'S A PROFESSIONAL SPORT.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
It's not best for the team.

Unless you think handicapping yourself makes your team better.

Offline Mathguy

The shutdown is best for the team, if one considers more than this year.  And with this team, the future is bright

It's not best for the team.

Unless you think handicapping yourself makes your team better.