Author Topic: Stats question - is Hand's outing considered 2 blown saves?  (Read 264 times)

Offline catocony

Legit question, he blew the save in the 9th.  For whatever reason, Davey put him back out in the 10th, and he blew the lead again.  How is that rated in the stats department? 

Offline nfotiu

No.  The determination of whether it is a save situation is when he entered the game.   Once he's blown a save, he doesn't have an opportunity to get a save.  He could get a BS and Win if they had held on, which happens somewhat frequently.

Offline Duke of Earl

As long as we're talking about Hand ... it was obvious in the 9th after two batters that he didn't have it.  Everyone has a bad day now and then.  But I was astounded that Martinez sent him out to pitch the 10th. What in the world could he have been thinking?  I really question his judgement now.

Offline rileyn

It was obvious after 2 pitches he didn't have it.  He was yanking his fast ball and kept looking at the mound, causing me to have Gio flashbacks.  He deserves 2 blown saves after blowing up Max's outing.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

Legit question, he blew the save in the 9th.  For whatever reason, Davey put him back out in the 10th, and he blew the lead again.  How is that rated in the stats department?

As your first response said, it's a blown save for the 9th and a loss in the 10th, but not a second blown save.  He doesn't get a blown save for the second blown lead because it wasn't a save opportunity: rather, he was in line for the win. 

Offline catocony

He doesn't get the loss because he didn't pitch in the 11th.  Thankfully.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
As long as we're talking about Hand ... it was obvious in the 9th after two batters that he didn't have it.  Everyone has a bad day now and then.  But I was astounded that Martinez sent him out to pitch the 10th. What in the world could he have been thinking?  I really question his judgement now.
well, the 10th starts with a lefty, Ford, who's not much of a threat.  Davey figures that they either PH for him with Sanchez or maybe Urshela (righties), in which case he can bring in Finnegan once the PH is announced, or that Hand can handle Ford.  It's not like the guy hit a rope off him.  I was more frustrated that he could not throw his fastball for a strike. 

Offline Duke of Earl

well, the 10th starts with a lefty, Ford, who's not much of a threat.  Davey figures that they either PH for him with Sanchez or maybe Urshela (righties), in which case he can bring in Finnegan once the PH is announced, or that Hand can handle Ford.

I didn't hear  any postgame. Was Martinez asked about this? And did he articulate this thinking?

Offline Elvir Ovcina

He doesn't get the loss because he didn't pitch in the 11th.  Thankfully.

Oh, right.  Forgot about that.  One blown save, but the 10th he blew his own win, so not a BS for that.