Author Topic: Gio to Nats  (Read 39152 times)

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Re: Gio to Nats
« Reply #675: January 25, 2012, 07:23:24 PM »
It's also completely inaccurate.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?id=gonzagi01&year=Career&t=p#rs_extra

I do not like that away split at all. I'm getting a bad feeling about this ....

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #676: January 25, 2012, 08:13:50 PM »
I do not like that away split at all. I'm getting a bad feeling about this ....

Why? What don't you like? Don't get swayed by the ERA and W-L. Those are never the best numbers to use to judge a pitcher.

Looking at the raw stats, they are very similar. Over his career of 46G/273IP home and 49G/262IP away, he's got very similar numbers of HR, SO, and BB. He's actually given up fewer HRs, struck out more, and walked less away.  Those are the numbers a pitcher can really control, and they're similar. Oscillations in ERA and W% need to be attributed to some other factors when those numbers are similar, especially with the BABIP differential being a bit wacky. The biggest concern with him is always going to be the walks. But that doesn't seem to be a matter of home or away. He's a strikeout pitcher, and he will now be facing NL lineups without the DH. There's reasons to be very bullish on him.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #677: January 25, 2012, 08:29:33 PM »
Why? What don't you like? Don't get swayed by the ERA and W-L. Those are never the best numbers to use to judge a pitcher.

Looking at the raw stats, they are very similar. Over his career of 46G/273IP home and 49G/262IP away, he's got very similar numbers of HR, SO, and BB. He's actually given up fewer HRs, struck out more, and walked less away.  Those are the numbers a pitcher can really control, and they're similar. Oscillations in ERA and W% need to be attributed to some other factors when those numbers are similar, especially with the BABIP differential being a bit wacky. The biggest concern with him is always going to be the walks. But that doesn't seem to be a matter of home or away. He's a strikeout pitcher, and he will now be facing NL lineups without the DH. There's reasons to be very bullish on him.

Plus he's HAWT!

woof

:az:

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #678: January 25, 2012, 08:29:57 PM »
agreed.  better than having three cocky jerks who are all about themselves. 

Who gives a freaking crap about that as long as they freaking dominate on the mound!

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #679: January 25, 2012, 08:34:00 PM »
Who gives a freaking crap about that as long as they freaking dominate on the mound!

Yeah For freak's sake!

Douchebags have a way of wearing on a team's nerves, it is a long ass season. It's not a bad thing to be bad ass and a good teammate.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #680: January 25, 2012, 08:34:47 PM »
His whip goes up when away from Oakland while his walk rate remains the same. Last year is especially noticeable

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #681: January 25, 2012, 08:35:09 PM »

I like this post.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #683: January 25, 2012, 11:08:18 PM »

I'd prefer to root for a team with players I actually want to succeed than a team like the wizards full of guys I despise, and right now the nationals have no d-bags that I can think of

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #684: January 25, 2012, 11:29:14 PM »
Really? I can think of one.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #685: January 25, 2012, 11:36:10 PM »
Bryce is polarizing.  Some see him as Jesus and the rest see him as a total d-bag

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #686: January 25, 2012, 11:37:06 PM »
A lot of people saw Jesus as a total d-bag, back in the day.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #687: January 25, 2012, 11:38:18 PM »
A lot of people saw Jesus as a total d-bag, back in the day.
Christ or Flores?

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #688: January 25, 2012, 11:42:09 PM »
Christ or Flores?

Christ.  I don't know enough about Flores to make a comment in that regard...

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #689: January 25, 2012, 11:46:19 PM »
Really? I can think of one.

Who? I bet you're going to say Werth?

Let's just say he's misunderstood. He was (surprisingly) very friendly at a STH Picnic in the Park event.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #690: January 26, 2012, 12:03:01 AM »
Wasn't there rumors that Zimmerman wouldn't sign autographs except at functions where he got paid?

Offline BerkeleyNat

« Reply #691: January 26, 2012, 12:11:48 AM »
I'd prefer to root for a team with players I actually want to succeed than a team like the wizards full of guys I despise, and right now the nationals have no d-bags that I can think of

Gone are the days of Lastings and Tony Plush!  :)

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #692: January 26, 2012, 04:47:12 AM »
Who? I bet you're going to say Werth?
It's Linty. He obviously means Desmond.

Offline CatsEye

• Very weird season -Creepy - What....
« Reply #693: January 26, 2012, 07:45:19 AM »
Bryce is polarizing.  Some see him as Jesus and the rest see him as a total d-bag
                Publicity Hound - Lone Wolf- DIVA -that's Harper -YUCK..... :smh:                         :popcorn:

Yea, and oh btw, Werth ain't earning any brownie points with fans either.......

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #694: January 26, 2012, 07:47:58 AM »
Wasn't there rumors that Zimmerman wouldn't sign autographs except at functions where he got paid?

That has to do with him having a separate marketing deal, I don't consider it him being a dbag- I consider blatch nagging about needing the ball being a dbag

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #695: January 26, 2012, 07:48:16 AM »
Why would I think Desmond is a jerk?

Offline CatsEye

• Very weird season -Creepy - What....
« Reply #696: January 26, 2012, 07:50:40 AM »
That has to do with him having a separate marketing deal, I don't consider it him being a dbag- I consider blatch nagging about needing the ball being a dbag

That's because Blatche knows his days are numbered, and he wants to shine in the spotlight- Blatche doesn't necessarily bow to Wall or kiss his feet - like some of the others.....if you get my drift...... :popcorn:

Offline Slateman

« Reply #697: January 26, 2012, 07:57:01 AM »
Why would I think Desmond is a jerk?

Agreed. No one here thinks he's a jerk. Just a sucky ball player

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #698: January 26, 2012, 07:57:56 AM »
That's because Blatche knows his days are numbered, and he wants to shine in the spotlight- Blatche doesn't necessarily bow to Wall or kiss his feet - like some of the others.....if you get my drift...... :popcorn:

He'll be here through 14-15 with his god awful contract

Offline Bloo

« Reply #699: January 26, 2012, 08:10:37 AM »
Bryce is Jesus. He is going to bring the Nats to salvation. The chosen one to open the gates of paradise.