Author Topic: "To every fan, his own vendor"....  (Read 2866 times)

Offline Ray D

"To every fan, his own vendor"....
« Topic Start: September 12, 2007, 01:25:47 PM »
....and this:

"If you don't get a foul ball today, you're not trying"

Those were two of the pregame gems by the radio guys, who projected the start-of-game attendance at 300.

Offline Ray D

Re: "To every fan, his own vendor"....
« Reply #1: September 12, 2007, 01:26:33 PM »
.... sorry, correction. Did I say 300?  It was 100.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #2: September 12, 2007, 02:13:13 PM »
:rofl:

natsfan1a

« Reply #3: September 12, 2007, 03:02:12 PM »
They also said that there's a fan for each section (i.e., approx. one fan per section).

Offline Ray D

« Reply #4: September 12, 2007, 03:38:01 PM »
They also said that there's a fan for each section.

Or was that maybe "a section for each fan". Sounds like there are more sections than fans.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #5: September 12, 2007, 03:43:12 PM »
And they lost one of those fans due to an ejection by the ump. Was pretty hilarious.

natsfan1a

« Reply #6: September 12, 2007, 04:19:41 PM »
When they announced the paid attendance of 10,121, one of the broadcasters opined that if they removed the 10 it sounded about right.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #7: September 12, 2007, 04:22:30 PM »
natsaddict has more posts than there are fans in Dolphins stadium. Maybe that's the problem. The fans are showing up for games at Marlins stadium. :lol:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #8: September 12, 2007, 05:25:13 PM »
And they lost one of those fans due to an ejection by the ump. Was pretty hilarious.

LOL, for what, acute heckling?

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #9: September 12, 2007, 05:27:40 PM »
LOL, for what, acute heckling?

Yep. I forget who was up, though. The guy was screamin' nasties at our guys for like 10 minutes straight. His farewell was hilarious, too. He told the ump that he made more money than him. You could hear him so clearly because there were like 25 people there.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #10: September 12, 2007, 05:37:04 PM »
Yep. I forget who was up, though. The guy was screamin' nasties at our guys for like 10 minutes straight. His farewell was hilarious, too. He told the ump that he made more money than him. You could hear him so clearly because there were like 25 people there.

That was gold. Peppered with f bombs too.

nospinzone1

« Reply #11: September 12, 2007, 05:37:10 PM »

SPECIFICITY! WHY. I FORGOT THERE WAS AN AFTERNOON GAME AND WENT RUNNING ERRANDS

SORRY....JUMPED THE GUN BEFORE READING THE ANSWERS TO THE QUESTION.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #12: September 12, 2007, 05:38:15 PM »
I think I found a picture of him:

nospinzone1

« Reply #13: September 12, 2007, 05:38:53 PM »
THE UMPIRES NOWADAYS ARE IN THE VAST MAJORITY INCOMPETENT. I AM GLAD THE GUY CUSSED HIM OUT.

nospinzone1

« Reply #14: September 12, 2007, 05:39:34 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

LOOKS LIKE SALTY WITHOUT THE BEARD....JUST KIDDING

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #15: September 12, 2007, 05:40:16 PM »
And this is why they deserve a new stadium worth 100's of millions.

Contract the Marlins!!!!

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #16: September 12, 2007, 05:43:03 PM »

You've probably met that guy, Nospin.  Most people living in Montgomery COunty have at one time or another.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #17: September 12, 2007, 05:45:41 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

What-the-Ficker (Robin Ficker, ambulance chasing attorney and perennial candidate, who lost his front-row seats at the Verizon Center, to shut him up.)

Offline saltydad

« Reply #18: September 12, 2007, 07:20:51 PM »

Nah, no belly on him. Obviously not a substantial man of respect! :D

OMG. To be compared to Robin Ficker. Oh the shame, the horror.

nospinzone1

« Reply #19: September 12, 2007, 07:35:37 PM »

You've probably met that guy, Nospin.  Most people living in Montgomery COunty have at one time or another.

HAVE NOT...I THINK I KNOW WHO HE IS AND HE IS SOME KIND OF A NUT, ALTHOUGH SOME OF PROPOSALS MAKE SENSE BUT PEOPLE DONT TAKE HIM SERIOUSLY FOR HIS CLOWNLIKE BEHAVIOR.

nospinzone1

« Reply #20: September 12, 2007, 07:36:30 PM »
Nah, no belly on him. Obviously not a substantial man of respect! :D

OMG. To be compared to Robin Ficker. Oh the shame, the horror.

AT first i did not recognize him until i took severqal looks at him and the magaphone and the wiz players

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #21: September 12, 2007, 11:45:26 PM »
natsaddict has more posts than there are fans in Dolphins stadium. Maybe that's the problem. The fans are showing up for games at Marlins stadium. :lol:

My guess was that there were about 300-400 when the game started.  It grew a little, but not much. 

I just got out of a cast after 9 weeks yesterday, and started out sitting in the front row, about halfway between the plate and the Nats dugout, with my legs propped up on the wall.  The HP ump fussed at me before the game started, and I had to move back to the 2nd row and prop my legs on the back of the seat in the front row (no, I wasn't the guy who got tossed).  Later on, I went and sat over in the behind the Marlins dugout because that was the only place with a peanut guy and beerman.  I felt bad for the beer guy, and gave him a big tip.  He brought me a beer in the top of the 10th, long after they were supposed to quit selling.  Since it was gift, I guess it didn't violate any rules.  He sat down with a beer of his own, and we talked until the game was over.  If you saw a guy in a yellow shirt with blue, and blue shorts, sunglasses, and a very pale (and skinny) right leg propped on the Marlins dugout, you shoulda waved.  It felt like I was at an NCAA game.  I came home with 3 balls that Jacobs tossed to me.  There wasn't anybody else to toss them to.

I think it was the 5th when Kim dropped the f-bomb.  It didn't lose anything in the translation.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #22: September 13, 2007, 12:49:23 AM »
Great story!!  Reminds me of a Paul Theroux travel tale from outer Kabobistan...

My guess was that there were about 300-400 when the game started.  It grew a little, but not much. 

I just got out of a cast after 9 weeks yesterday, and started out sitting in the front row, about halfway between the plate and the Nats dugout, with my legs propped up on the wall.  The HP ump fussed at me before the game started, and I had to move back to the 2nd row and prop my legs on the back of the seat in the front row (no, I wasn't the guy who got tossed).  Later on, I went and sat over in the behind the Marlins dugout because that was the only place with a peanut guy and beerman.  I felt bad for the beer guy, and gave him a big tip.  He brought me a beer in the top of the 10th, long after they were supposed to quit selling.  Since it was gift, I guess it didn't violate any rules.  He sat down with a beer of his own, and we talked until the game was over.  If you saw a guy in a yellow shirt with blue, and blue shorts, sunglasses, and a very pale (and skinny) right leg propped on the Marlins dugout, you shoulda waved.  It felt like I was at an NCAA game.  I came home with 3 balls that Jacobs tossed to me.  There wasn't anybody else to toss them to.

I think it was the 5th when Kim dropped the f-bomb.  It didn't lose anything in the translation.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #23: September 13, 2007, 08:14:48 AM »
Hey Natsaddict, somebody started a thread on the Nats MLB board regarding attendance problems in Florida.  I know you've covered this in some detail here, but you have a ready audience if you want to opine further, or even just cut and paste some of your "classic" posts.

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #24: September 13, 2007, 08:29:15 AM »
Hundreds see Marlins pull out win
By CARLOS FRÍAS
Palm Beach Post Staff Writer
Thursday, September 13, 2007

MIAMI GARDENS — It would have been a great crowd for a spring training game. Played on a back field. In the rain.

But not for a major-league baseball game on a sunny Wednesday.

Rows of empty seats greet the Marlins and Nationals on Wednesday. It was so quiet that one player's profanity could be heard clearly by the television audience, prompting the announcers to apologize.

Forget the announced attendance of 10,121 for the Marlins-Nationals game at Dolphin Stadium. When Byung-Hyun Kim threw the first pitch, 375 spectators could be seen. That is what happens when two of the worst teams in baseball meet for a 1:05 p.m. game on a 91-degree September afternoon.

"It's a little sad when you can pretty much count how many people are in the stands," Marlins first baseman Mike Jacobs said.

The Marlins, who prevailed 5-4 in 12 innings, moved the game from the usual 7:05 p.m. slot in deference to the Jewish holiday of Rosh Hashanah, which began at sunset.
Palm Beach Post

And the Marlins marketing department pulls off another masterpiece.

Oh, and this Carlos Frias that wrote the article - never heard of him before.  The PBP regular Marlins guy, Joe Capozzi, must not have bothered attending, either - even though it's his job.

The same thing happened with the Sun-Sentinel.  Their article on the game was also written by a new guy, Craig Barnes.  Apparently neither Mike Berardino nor Juan Rodriguez attended.

And to complete the tri-fecta, Mike Phillips, who covers high school games and writes the little blurbs about the other MLB games, did the article for the Miami Herald.  Tuesday's game was his first time covering the Marlins, so he's was veteran writer covering the game.  Of course, to offset the fact that it's not the first piece he's ever written, the link to his article is dead  so you can only read the tag-line.