Author Topic: Must See TV Thread (2012-2014)  (Read 109986 times)

Offline Coladar

Re: Must See TV Thread
« Reply #1125: February 23, 2013, 11:26:38 PM »
Zero Hour was interesting. My wife and I both liked it. Far fetched? Very much so, but it entertained me. Big Bang Theory was great this week too.

I like Zero Hour as well. I didn't even know what it was when I started watching it, but I find the storyline pretty interesting, and I like how things unfold and keep you guessing.

I didn't know what it was about either, just that it was another fantasy/secrets and mysteries type show. I was looking forward to it for that reason and for Anthony Edwards, but flipped it off after the first five minutes. The pilot's opening seemed to indicate that not only would Rosicrucianism play a decent part in the show, but that they were the 'good guys.' I don't know a whole lot about it, but did read into it a while back after watching the Georgia Guidestones episode of Brad Meltzer's Decoded on History. Based on their portrayal in Decoded and what I read on the Interwebz, a fictional show utilizing them in a favorable light isn't something I could get into. I'll prolly give it another shot at some point, but the pilot starting on that note... wasn't my cup of tea.

Following up on my comments about S2 of Touch - good lord, last night's episode... Everything I posted that I disliked is just getting worse and worse. This doesn't resemble the show I watched last year, not even remotely. It's got two of the same actors, and that's it. I've always hated it when shows take place in LA for no reason beyond the fact it's where most writers live and where the shows film. Now they've obviously moved to LA permanently, losing NYC and all that setting brings a show like this. Further stupidity by using a couple locations over and over only because they've built the set? I get budget constraints and the basics of locations and sets for TV, but come on. Yeah, let's meet at the gun range every episode for our super secret meetings, or use the ever popular newspaper bullpen as the HQ for our wonky little gang. That makes total sense, really.

Then storyline idiocy like 'hey, let's run facial recognition software on that photo! You guys work for a newspaper, of course you've got some l33t spy crap!' Even if the plot were any good, which it isn't, this type of stuff is mindnumbingly stupid and contrived. A show that was so utterly unique changing every last detail for this tired and worn out 'bad guys out to get us,' is bad enough. But pulling nonsense like the supah spy facial ID and using only a handful of sets every episode, stuff they didn't do last year... I'm not sure I can recall a show in the recent past going downhill so dramatically, in so many different ways. I wouldn't care if it weren't for the fact that Touch was such an amazing and unique show, perfect in nearly every way for the first season. I'll give it one more week, but it's a lost cause.