Author Topic: Pro Wrestling Nostalgia Thread (2009-2011)  (Read 72861 times)

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
Re: Pro Wrestling Nostalgia Thread
« Reply #125: January 05, 2010, 09:38:49 PM »
Rock/Mankind matches were epic almost without exception.  Doubt you'd see anyone claiming Mick Foley to be an amazing technical wrestler.

Wait a minute...  just re-read what you said...  you think AUSTIN was sharp?
Austin wasn't a great wrestler post neck injury, but he knew how to wrestle a very effective main event.  It's not fair to rate him based on traditional technical ability because that wasn't the style of the era.  Main events used the whole brawling style.

Foley is a better wrestler than people give him credit for being.  He even had a match of the year type "slobberknocker" (to borrow a term from J.R.) with Shawn Michaels, and it wasn't because the match was hardcore and brutal.  Nobody ever really had to *carry* Mick Foley.

I'm just not quite as impressed with The Rock because he rarely if ever elevated anyone to another level like so many others.

And yeah, Austin was tremendous before the neck injury.  I'd echo linty's recommendation about finding the WM13 match with Hart.  That's like a top five wrestling memory for me.  Everything I wanted the previous year's main event to be (which ended up being somewhat disappointing - thanks a lot Bret/Shawn, you friggin egomaniacs) was delivered in that match.

An aside: Tony Schiavone is apparently an announcer in minor league baseball now.  I'd like him to replace Bob "that ball is GO!...ing into the glove of the outfielder" Carpenter.