Author Topic: Seats that are not behind the netting  (Read 1271 times)

Offline jh_collector

Seats that are not behind the netting
« Topic Start: January 09, 2013, 09:34:49 AM »
Hello Folks.  I am out of town and  I am going to my first game at your ballpark some time this year.  I was wondering what the first section is on the 3rd base side that doesn't have a view of the net.  I know it is a nit , but I like a clear view.  Thanks for any advise you can offer.

Offline Coladar

Re: Seats that are not behind the netting
« Reply #1: January 09, 2013, 09:56:36 AM »
You probably would avoid nagging and sarcasm by being less obvious. The out of town plus third base side equals rooting for the other team.

Saying that and severely surprised if it isn't for the Phillies... Any seat outside the Diamond or Presidents club. Avoid 118, so anything 117 or lower. Visitor dugout box you can't go wrong with.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #2: January 09, 2013, 09:56:55 AM »
117, I think.  I have sat there and it's a clear view.  I haven't sat any closer to home (because, like you, I cannot tolerate the screen) so I cannot say for sure about 118, etc.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #3: January 09, 2013, 05:42:12 PM »
yeah, 117.  If you are visiting and rooting for the visiting team, sit in 116 or 117.

if you want to root for the defending NL East champs, sit in 128 & 129.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #4: January 09, 2013, 09:55:56 PM »
It is definately section 118, where my group has season tickets.  I sat many times in section 119 with Red Porch points and 99% or the view from section 119 is not behind the net as well.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #5: January 10, 2013, 08:37:48 AM »
Sit up in the 300 level (where TBSITH is) - no worries about netting at all...costs a lot less too.

Offline jh_collector

« Reply #6: January 10, 2013, 02:40:00 PM »
Nope I am rooting for the nationals.  My main issue is the sun.  From what I have read the seats on the 3rd baseline have more shade.  thanks for the info

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #7: January 10, 2013, 02:47:53 PM »
You're right, the first base side is sun-splashed. Or sun-baked, depending on your point of view.

Nope I am rooting for the nationals.  My main issue is the sun.  From what I have read the seats on the 3rd baseline have more shade.  thanks for the info

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #8: January 10, 2013, 02:58:11 PM »
You're right, the first base side is sun-splashed. Or sun-baked, depending on your point of view.

Sun-broiled was my feeling...after sitting just up-line from the Nats' dugout. It was interesting, though, to see the players up close as they came off the field, and to see Gio's head as he stood on the steps and joked with the crowd. Also saw Strassburg well after the game autographing baseballs for kids.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #9: January 10, 2013, 03:12:19 PM »
Thankfully, most games are played at night. ;)
Sun-broiled was my feeling...after sitting just up-line from the Nats' dugout. It was interesting, though, to see the players up close as they came off the field, and to see Gio's head as he stood on the steps and joked with the crowd. Also saw Strassburg well after the game autographing baseballs for kids.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #10: January 10, 2013, 04:07:45 PM »
You probably would avoid nagging and sarcasm by being less obvious. The out of town plus third base side equals rooting for the other team.

Saying that and severely surprised if it isn't for the Phillies... Any seat outside the Diamond or Presidents club. Avoid 118, so anything 117 or lower. Visitor dugout box you can't go wrong with.
I always sit on the 3rd base side and I root for the Nats as does most of my sections. Previous posters are correct that 118 and lower do not have to look thru the net.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #11: January 10, 2013, 04:12:27 PM »
I always sit on the 3rd base side and I root for the Nats as does most of my sections.

I'm usually third base side too, right behind the dugout.  And I find a disproportionate number of visiting fans there, as opposed to when I occasionally sit somewhere else.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #12: January 10, 2013, 07:58:13 PM »
I always sit on the 3rd base side and I root for the Nats as does most of my sections. Previous posters are correct that 118 and lower do not have to look thru the net.

Well, as a STHer in 129 I can buy said sun argument. July and August day games are unbearable. Here's what I don't quite get though... Said OP is out of town and coming to a game. Most games are night games. I'm not quite sure why, unless for a weekend getaway, anyone would come and sit on the visitor side to avoid a couple hours of sunlight when 127-131 would be an option. Further how one would know where and when the sun is but not where the net extends. I'm a glass half empty kind of person, what can I say.

But in my experience, for a large visiting crowd, they are always clustered behind their dugout. Most games may be filled with Nats fans, but for a one off experience I can't imagine recommending 3b over 1b side for a Nats fan short of a 1pm July game.

At RFK I always sat third base side, but moved with the dugout at Nats Park. Sitting behind our team is a unique and worthwhile experience for someone who won't take in many games at Nats park over a lifetime. My thoughts, if nothing else.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #13: January 11, 2013, 11:35:19 AM »
Collie, there's a hole in your tin foil hat . . . 

I like the 3d base side for ease of access to the metro, FWIW.  I'm in 208 with my regular seats.  It's also closer to Bens. 

Of course, sun is less of an issue in the night time (by the way, it's a fantabulous night for a moondance), but if jh is interested in the sun, then it may be relevant, especially when start times have not been scheduled.

Along these lines, the Nats played several (>3, <6?) get away games on Wednesdays and Thursdays that started midday.  It was not just last games of home stands.  Sometimes they accommodated the visiting team's road trip.  So, the sun issue is not just relevant for Sundays and some early and late season Saturdays.

Welcome jh_collector. Feel free to post a little about yourself in the new members thread.  We have a few out of town members from arkansas, texas, california, georgia, and even have fans of other teams like Chicago's AL crew.  Join in on the discussion. 

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #14: January 11, 2013, 12:07:15 PM »
we always sit on the 3B side for day games.  I just don't like the sections immediately behind the visiting team dugouts - too many "away" fans.

And having sat just about everywhere in the BP, even the President's club, my absolute favorite sections are 128-129 for the reasons Coladar noted, being closer to the players is great, but above that the fans in those sections seem to be the die-hards, the ones that know every player and every move, and probably spend way too much time on Internet message boards discussing every obscure detail of the team. :)

Most of the other sections, especially LF Mezz, are filled with more casual fans.

JCA does have a good point, 1B is a long haul from bens, though there are usually bens stands all over the place.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #15: January 11, 2013, 12:37:01 PM »
First two years at the park we had season tix in 132 on the 1B side. Switched to 113 on the 3B side to get away from the sun and to get a better view of the scoreboard. (A certain female in my STH group says she also gets a better look at Zim.) :-[

And, yes, you tend to have more visiting vans on the 3B side. I'm hoping that changes over time as local baseball loyalty evolves.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #16: January 11, 2013, 12:45:35 PM »
I've got a hunch as STH increase, 3B will fill in with Nats fans closer to the visitor's dugout.

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #17: January 14, 2013, 09:07:07 AM »
Well, as a STHer in 129 I can buy said sun argument. July and August day games are unbearable. Here's what I don't quite get though... Said OP is out of town and coming to a game. Most games are night games. I'm not quite sure why, unless for a weekend getaway, anyone would come and sit on the visitor side to avoid a couple hours of sunlight when 127-131 would be an option. Further how one would know where and when the sun is but not where the net extends. I'm a glass half empty kind of person, what can I say.

But in my experience, for a large visiting crowd, they are always clustered behind their dugout. Most games may be filled with Nats fans, but for a one off experience I can't imagine recommending 3b over 1b side for a Nats fan short of a 1pm July game.

At RFK I always sat third base side, but moved with the dugout at Nats Park. Sitting behind our team is a unique and worthwhile experience for someone who won't take in many games at Nats park over a lifetime. My thoughts, if nothing else.

This. I've been a sec 129 STH since the getgo and wouldn't want to move. I used to bake on the hot days in RFK, and I don't mind it so much at Nats Park. Regardless, day games in the extreme heat only make up a small percentage of the overall season. And up until now, the RCR and ticket exchange programs have allowed for options to avoid it.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #18: January 16, 2013, 12:03:43 AM »
Collie, there's a hole in your tin foil hat . . . 

Eh, I've been called far worse than paranoid. With that said... I answered the guy's question, so I'd hope the impression isn't that I despise any away team fan coming into our park. I appreciate not being ripped to shreds when I follow the Nats on the road and hope anyone doing the same at Nats Park has a similar positive experience. We're all baseball fans at heart, unless you're a Philly fan.

I simply thought that based on the available information, there was an obvious conclusion to be reached. Registering, logging in for 24 hours and vanishing for a week and counting now once an answer was received - without posting anywhere else - doesn't help much to dissuade it, either.

I know beating this proverbial dead horse further gives an indication I care way more than I do about it. At first it seemed blatant and I thought full disclosure when asking such a question was only fair. My continuation now stems from coming away with the aforementioned facts and automatically assuming it's a Nats fan. Seems as nuts to me as I apparently am coming off in this thread. Or for that matter, probably *any* thread I post in based on my continually degrading reputation.