Author Topic: Computer problem= Help Requested.  (Read 25079 times)

Offline HalfSmokes

Re: Computer problem= Help Requested.
« Reply #450: April 01, 2019, 11:59:29 AM »
I’m setting up a new google mesh network in a new house. In this house, the main puck will be in a down stairs corner- does anyone know if the network has to be main puck —> secondary pucks or if it is main puck —> secondary puck —> secondary puck - i can’t find anything online

Offline dracnal

« Reply #451: April 01, 2019, 01:19:05 PM »
I’m setting up a new google mesh network in a new house. In this house, the main puck will be in a down stairs corner- does anyone know if the network has to be main puck —> secondary pucks or if it is main puck —> secondary puck —> secondary puck - i can’t find anything online

Not sure, but usually you don't get the best results when you are repeating from a repeater. Usually the bandwidth is 50% for the first repeater and down to 25% for the next. I've never successfully had three repeaters chain together. Just too little throughput to sustain it.

Offline Squab

• Global Moderator
  • me lookin at the bullpen
« Reply #452: April 01, 2019, 01:25:15 PM »
in a mesh network machines usually connect to each other so they they can find the fastest path back to the router connected to the modem. so if you lined them up main puck —> secondary puck —> secondary puck geographically in your home it should work well.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #453: April 01, 2019, 01:39:14 PM »
Thanks- right now, my current house is small and the primary/modem is pretty central, new house will be bigger with the modem in the corner of a basement, I’m hoping to avoid having to run a wire to a more central location

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #454: August 25, 2019, 01:18:47 PM »
Noticed all my "bookmark" pages have disappeared.    I restarted, etc. but don't wanna reset/refresh (primarily use Chrome)    Any ideas?

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #455: August 25, 2019, 01:34:44 PM »
Too much Captain last night?

Offline mitlen

« Reply #456: August 25, 2019, 01:37:52 PM »
Too much Captain last night?

Nah, haven't had alcohol in awhile.    However, I did think The Chief or imref.   

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #457: August 25, 2019, 01:41:16 PM »
Nah, haven't had alcohol in awhile.    However, I did think The Chief or imref.   

:doh:  Of course the upgrades he was working on yesterday. And his new mod. It’s all coming together now.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #458: August 25, 2019, 01:41:55 PM »
:doh:  Of course the upgrades he was working on yesterday. And his new mod. It’s all coming together now.

There ya go.    That must be it.     :)      Normal day, decided to check an old bookmark and none of 'em are there.    Not sure if there were MS updates overnight or  :shrug:.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #459: August 25, 2019, 01:43:46 PM »
Well stuff doesn’t just disappear on its own. Who else was using your puter?

Offline mitlen

« Reply #460: August 25, 2019, 01:45:25 PM »
Well stuff doesn’t just disappear on its own. Who else was using your puter?

Nobody since yesterday.    I usually blame the missus but that's a fruitless endeavor.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #461: August 25, 2019, 01:50:50 PM »
Nobody since yesterday.    I usually blame the missus but that's a fruitless endeavor.

:crackup: Did you run any cleanup utilities?

Offline mitlen

« Reply #462: August 25, 2019, 02:11:34 PM »
:crackup: Did you run any cleanup utilities?

I logged out last evening and this morning/early afternoon they're gone.    When I left last night, I put it to sleep and that's it.   I don't know if any updates ran over night.     I might try to reset it later but that's always "iffy" with a PC this old.    I was hopin' for an easy fix/find.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #463: August 25, 2019, 02:14:02 PM »
I logged out last evening and this morning/early afternoon they're gone.    When I left last night, I put it to sleep and that's it.   I don't know if any updates ran over night.     I might try to reset it later but that's always "iffy" with a PC this old.    I was hopin' for an easy fix/find.

Any 10 year olds in your hood to fix it? :)

Offline mitlen

« Reply #464: August 25, 2019, 02:17:01 PM »
Any 10 year olds in your hood to fix it? :)

I might call my son later.    He's my "Help Desk".    BTW  Search history is gone too.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #465: August 25, 2019, 03:14:33 PM »
If your browser updated, then the bookmark button might have moved, like you may need to click on menu first

Offline dracnal

« Reply #466: August 25, 2019, 06:06:21 PM »
Since it's Chrome, my first guess would be it updated and logged you out of your profile. One of the buttons in the top right should have a sign in option - I'd give that a shot. Otherwise, you're looking for shadow copies, which I'll tell you how to access if it isn't the easy fix.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #467: August 27, 2019, 03:38:51 PM »
If your browser updated, then the bookmark button might have moved, like you may need to click on menu first

I only have one "bookmarks" option that I can find and they aren't there.

Since it's Chrome, my first guess would be it updated and logged you out of your profile. One of the buttons in the top right should have a sign in option - I'd give that a shot. Otherwise, you're looking for shadow copies, which I'll tell you how to access if it isn't the easy fix.

I do have the login option but as far as I can tell, I've never logged in.    I think I'll keep it that way.    I've seen some options on the internet that I may try.     However, I don't think any of the bookmarks are that important that I can't start from scratch.

I appreciate the input from yunz.   

Offline dracnal

« Reply #468: August 27, 2019, 03:46:44 PM »
One thing that should be pretty easy to check - open up File Explorer, click on C:, then right click 'Users' and select 'Restore Previous Versions.' If that comes up with a list of folders earlier in time, you can get the bookmarks that way. If it says 'no previous versions available,' you're probably out of luck. The long shot at that point is going to www.piriform.net and downloading Recuva.

It's designed to look for recently deleted files and bring them back. Not hugely high success %age in my experience. Not because it's bad software but just how a Windows file system works.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #469: August 27, 2019, 03:51:29 PM »
One thing that should be pretty easy to check - open up File Explorer, click on C:, then right click 'Users' and select 'Restore Previous Versions.' If that comes up with a list of folders earlier in time, you can get the bookmarks that way. If it says 'no previous versions available,' you're probably out of luck. The long shot at that point is going to www.piriform.net and downloading Recuva.

It's designed to look for recently deleted files and bring them back. Not hugely high success %age in my experience. Not because it's bad software but just how a Windows file system works.

Thanks   ....    lookin' at other options in Chrome and "Window Search", it's almost clear to me that I got a new version of something downloaded at some time.    I'll recreate my bookmarks as I need 'em.    None were of too much importance.    They were mostly of a personal interest nature.   

Offline dracnal

« Reply #470: August 27, 2019, 03:57:22 PM »
Thanks   ....    lookin' at other options in Chrome and "Window Search", it's almost clear to me that I got a new version of something downloaded at some time.    I'll recreate my bookmarks as I need 'em.    None were of too much importance.    They were mostly of a personal interest nature.   

I tend to cultivate the same sense of detachment with my machines. Too used to things that can blow up at any time so if it's actually important I'll make sure it's redundantly backed up. If it's just on the computer, I can afford to lose it and not bat an eyelash.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #471: August 27, 2019, 04:03:28 PM »
I tend to cultivate the same sense of detachment with my machines. Too used to things that can blow up at any time so if it's actually important I'll make sure it's redundantly backed up. If it's just on the computer, I can afford to lose it and not bat an eyelash.

I've been pretty lucky generationally to not become too attached electronically.    I got out of the mainframe world just in time  ....  before almost everything went desktop, laptops, smartphones, etc.    :)

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #472: August 27, 2019, 08:16:12 PM »

Lemme tell ya 'bout all the copies of WNFF's database I have these days :hurr:

Offline mitlen

« Reply #473: August 27, 2019, 08:29:42 PM »
Lemme tell ya 'bout all the copies of WNFF's database I have these days :hurr:

It's why you make the big bucks.    :)

Offline mitlen

« Reply #474: August 28, 2019, 12:28:10 PM »
Appears I had another "reset" last night and I have to log into everything again.    Bookmarks I had added over the last few days are gone.    I wouldn't even mind all this if I knew what was causing it.