Author Topic: Nats lock up Ruiz  (Read 5349 times)

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
Re: Nats lock up Ruiz
« Reply #175: May 16, 2024, 09:08:19 AM »
Something is off with him right now. They need to fake an injury and so he can have a stint on the Jason Marquis Memorial "I Suck"™ disabled list.

Online nobleisthyname

« Reply #176: May 16, 2024, 09:22:13 AM »
I still believe he'll turn it around from where he's currently at, but I'm not so sure he'll ever be better than he was last season, which still isn't very good.

With the bat swing speed data that was just released, it shows that Ruiz is one of the slowest swingers in the game, which makes sense given the overall lack of power throughout his career. I don't think that part of his game will ever develop. Theoretically you could maybe see him turning into an Arraez/Kwan type, who also have some of the slowest bat swing speeds, but make up for it by having great bat to ball skills and hitting the ball on the sweet spot for soft liners over the infield and in front of the outfielders.

I think that's the best case scenario at this point.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #177: May 16, 2024, 09:29:38 AM »
I still believe he'll turn it around from where he's currently at, but I'm not so sure he'll ever be better than he was last season, which still isn't very good.

With the bat swing speed data that was just released, it shows that Ruiz is one of the slowest swingers in the game, which makes sense given the overall lack of power throughout his career. I don't think that part of his game will ever develop. Theoretically you could maybe see him turning into an Arraez/Kwan type, who also have some of the slowest bat swing speeds, but make up for it by having great bat to ball skills and hitting the ball on the sweet spot for soft liners over the infield and in front of the outfielders.

I think that's the best case scenario at this point.
thing is, in the past he's shown contact skills, too. Slow bat in the plane of the ball leads to liners for Arraez / Kwan. But is looks like he's trying to elevate a bit this year. Maybe Coles needs to work with him. I'll take slappy contact from him for now.

Offline IanRubbish

« Reply #178: May 16, 2024, 09:39:54 AM »
With the bat swing speed data that was just released, it shows that Ruiz is one of the slowest swingers in the game, which makes sense given the overall lack of power throughout his career. I don't think that part of his game will ever develop.

You're absolutely right.  Question is how will he impact this team in 2-3 years when they're supposed to be going for it.  Doubt they bench him given his contract and the "play the contract" approach they have.