Author Topic: Will the Real Joey Meneses Please Stand Up? (2024)  (Read 405 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Definitely worried about Meneses. No hits so far this spring

Edit - Started this as a 2024 thread.
Last year's thread - https://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=40550.0

Online IanRubbish

He doesn’t hit enough for a DH or First Baseman.  He was a nice story in 2022, but he needs to start earning his ABs.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
There will be folks who point to his risp last year. I don't think it is repeatable

Offline imref

I wanna hope Rizzo and Davey are thinking about moving Adams to DH, Gallo to 1B, and Milas to backup catcher.

Offline Senatorswin

Meneses had 89 RBI's on a team that was 21st in scoring last year. I don't think it's fair to say he won't likely repeat that. He may or may not. His home runs per at bat were way down. He's shown the year before he has power. This year should tell the story. If he gets a lot of at bats playing first base and his power returns and his ability to knock in runs keeps up, he's a keeper. If not they should look to put Morales there or sign a free agent the next offseason.

Online IanRubbish

Meneses had 89 RBI's on a team that was 21st in scoring last year. I don't think it's fair to say he won't likely repeat that. He may or may not. His home runs per at bat were way down. He's shown the year before he has power. This year should tell the story. If he gets a lot of at bats playing first base and his power returns and his ability to knock in runs keeps up, he's a keeper. If not they should look to put Morales there or sign a free agent the next offseason.

His .722 OPS last year was near the bottom for everyday 1B/DH's.  He also turns 32 this year.  I think he fits in well with Darnell Coles make-the-pitchers-life-easy hitting philosophy.  If he's still playing everyday in '26, the rebuild will have officially failed.

Offline Senatorswin

His .722 OPS last year was near the bottom for everyday 1B/DH's.  He also turns 32 this year.  I think he fits in well with Darnell Coles make-the-pitchers-life-easy hitting philosophy.  If he's still playing everyday in '26, the rebuild will have officially failed.

Yeah he had a .722 OPS last year but the year before he had a .930 OPS in 240 PA. He showed he can hit but he has to show he can hit consistently over a whole season. If he does that then if he's still playing every day in "26" he'll be one of the solutions during the rebuild. If he doesn't it doesn't mean the rebuild is a failure, it just means Morales or a free agent will be needed to play first.

Last year wasn't a bad year, it just wasn't what he was the year before. They will need more power from first than they got last year though.

Offline Natsinpwc

Pitchers figured him out. 

Offline imref

He's standing up!

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
I dont put much stock in ST, but he has looked solid the last couple weeks

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Joey Cycle Watch

Offline imref

Gallo will be the everyday 1B with Meneses as primary DH per Davey.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Gallo will be the everyday 1B with Meneses as primary DH per Davey.
so it sounds like, among Rosario, Winker, Gallo, and Meneses, on any given day, 3 of the 4 will play. All 4 can play when Thomas is off, and I suppose the one on the bench will be available to pinch hit (if for Robles, then remain in the game in a Winker Rosario Thomas OF).

Offline imref

Joey Meneses: 2024
« Reply #13: April 13, 2024, 12:48:54 PM »
So how much more rope do we give him before moving Adams to the DH slot and bringing up Millas as the back-up catcher?

Currently batting .196, with a .487 OBP.  He's 9-46, with 8 singles and a double and is striking out about 25% of the time.  And he's our DH.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Re: Joey Meneses: 2024
« Reply #14: April 13, 2024, 01:02:48 PM »
He also forces Winker to play left, which is not optimum. I'd say when Garrett is ready, option Joey to AAA.

Alternative is Yepez, who could let you play Gallo in left, which is the best use of his D.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #15: April 13, 2024, 01:52:55 PM »
So how much more rope do we give him before moving Adams to the DH slot and bringing up Millas as the back-up catcher?

Currently batting .196, with a .487 OBP.  He's 9-46, with 8 singles and a double and is striking out about 25% of the time.  And he's our DH.
I would DFA him.  Send him to Rochester if no one else wants him.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #16: April 13, 2024, 01:55:57 PM »

I have wanted to give Riley Adams a run of batting every day at 1B/DH since the Nats traded for him. I am convinced he has some power potential. Worth a shot to see if he can find it while hitting every day.

I say give Meneses some more time but no reason to give him a super long rope.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #17: April 13, 2024, 07:37:27 PM »
I have wanted to give Riley Adams a run of batting every day at 1B/DH since the Nats traded for him. I am convinced he has some power potential. Worth a shot to see if he can find it while hitting every day.

I say give Meneses some more time but no reason to give him a super long rope.

Agreed with Adams and Meneses. Adams hit a bomb earlier this year at Nats Park. I would like to see him play regularly on the chance they have something special there.

They need to find out once and for all what they have in Meneses. Come mid-June if he still isn't hitting with some power it might be time to move on but not before then.