Author Topic: The Garage  (Read 67952 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: The Garage
« Reply #1200: August 09, 2023, 04:14:43 PM »
Hit a new PB two weeks back, 200,000 miles on the 2008 Honda Pilot.   :cheers:

does that have the VCM system that disables half the engine at cruising speed? And if so, have you installed a muzzler to disable it?

Everyone on the Honda Odyssey boards is saying you will kill your engine unless install a muzzler. I have about 163k on my 2011 Odyssey without a muzzler. I did need to have the rings replaced at around 23k miles after oil got through them (from a VCM issue) but haven't had any problems since.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #1201: August 09, 2023, 04:20:49 PM »
does that have the VCM system that disables half the engine at cruising speed? And if so, have you installed a muzzler to disable it?

Everyone on the Honda Odyssey boards is saying you will kill your engine unless install a muzzler. I have about 163k on my 2011 Odyssey without a muzzler. I did need to have the rings replaced at around 23k miles after oil got through them (from a VCM issue) but haven't had any problems since.
That’s interesting. 

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #1202: August 09, 2023, 04:27:20 PM »

It does not, thankfully.  Just had the radiator replaced, and front right ball joint.  Only odd thing I had happen was had a couple of engine control unit fried by a lightening striking a tree next to where I was parked.  Did $20,000 damage to my cousin's new Accord, but I got off lucky at about $2k.

Offline imref

« Reply #1203: August 09, 2023, 06:03:12 PM »
yikes!

Offline English Natsie

• It's baseball, Jim, but not as we know it...
« Reply #1204: August 10, 2023, 06:05:59 AM »
Just a nipper - my 1989 Defender (Land Rover) is at 358,000 (at least...) with a lifetime of use still ahead. 200 tdi engine is bulletproof - there are documented exmples of the engine covering over one million miles without a rebuild...It's generally only needed routine servicing, plus steering drag-end ball joints and brake consumable replacements (pads and discs). THe one major job was a gearbox rebuild, at 230,000. If I could, I'd be buried in it... ;) Mrs Natsie finds it too big and heavy to drive comfortably, so she has a lesser vehicle... :D.

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #1205: August 11, 2023, 09:01:20 AM »
Is there really not a vintage car museum anywhere in the DC area? My kid asked to visit one and when I google "classic car museum near DC" I get results from central Pennsylvania or the Eastern Shore!

Offline English Natsie

• It's baseball, Jim, but not as we know it...
« Reply #1206: August 11, 2023, 09:17:10 AM »
Maybe you could contact DC classic car owner's clubs - they might be able to help.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #1207: August 11, 2023, 09:18:10 AM »
You mean other than Tom's Pilot?  Not really.  The Smithsomean American History Museum has a few vehicles IIRC. 
Is there really not a vintage car museum anywhere in the DC area? My kid asked to visit one and when I google "classic car museum near DC" I get results from central Pennsylvania or the Eastern Shore!

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #1208: August 11, 2023, 10:40:27 AM »

There are lots of cars and coffee with great cars and enthusiastic owners happy to talk about them

Offline imref

« Reply #1209: August 11, 2023, 10:51:24 AM »

https://luraycaverns.com/attractions/the-car-carriage-caravan-museum/

The caverns are a good way to spend a day with kids.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #1210: August 11, 2023, 11:51:22 AM »
https://luraycaverns.com/attractions/the-car-carriage-caravan-museum/

The caverns are a good way to spend a day with kids.
We just went a few weeks ago with the oldest grandson. He enjoyed but was tired and didn’t want to do anything else after. They have a toy museum also. Was raining. Luckily a McDonald's was close by.

Offline imref

« Reply #1211: August 11, 2023, 12:34:30 PM »
We just went a few weeks ago with the oldest grandson. He enjoyed but was tired and didn’t want to do anything else after. They have a toy museum also. Was raining. Luckily a McDonald's was close by.

Hawksbill Diner is very good. :)

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #1212: August 11, 2023, 01:36:31 PM »

Cars and Coffee in Great Falls, Va from 6:00 AM to 9:00 AM on Saturdays. I havent been since the pandemic but they use to get close to several hundred cars from vintage antiques ( Stanley Steamers)  to Super cars ( Ferraris, Lambo's etc. ) with everything in between. Also the City of Rockville has a classic car show on Columbus Day weekend ( Saturday) and the only requirement is that the cars be original and at least 25 years old. Both events are free.

Offline imref

« Reply #1213: August 11, 2023, 02:18:00 PM »
Cars and Coffee in Great Falls, Va from 6:00 AM to 9:00 AM on Saturdays. I havent been since the pandemic but they use to get close to several hundred cars from vintage antiques ( Stanley Steamers)  to Super cars ( Ferraris, Lambo's etc. ) with everything in between. Also the City of Rockville has a classic car show on Columbus Day weekend ( Saturday) and the only requirement is that the cars be original and at least 25 years old. Both events are free.

they have several in the area, leesburg, south riding, to name a few.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #1214: August 11, 2023, 03:10:34 PM »
they have several in the area, leesburg, south riding, to name a few.

I believe the one in Great Falls is the largest and it gets the better cars. Leesburgs' annual show in the Courthouse area is October 14th this year with the rain date on  October 21st. Only 150 cars allowed.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #1215: August 12, 2023, 10:05:14 PM »

There's always the Saturday morning impromptu gatherings at Katie's Coffee in Great Falls.  You never know what might show up, including Aspenbubba's Cobra replica.  Some of the cars you see there are astonishing.  Plenty of videos on Youtube though they tend to be biased towards more modern cars versus the actual age distribution.